Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question on CZ21

quintond

Could someone please clarify the CZ21 discrimination settings for me. I assume 0 means it detects everything. What does the low, mid and high tones mean? Thanks for the help.

0 means it detects everything. You will hear 3 tones - low, medium, and high. Most people hunt in all metal (autotune) then flip to 0 on a target to hear the sound. If its deep (faint sound in autotune) you should dig no matter what. Discrimination on all detectors fails as the target gets deeper. I dont use any mode but autotune and 0. Low tones are iron, medium are nickels, gold, bottle caps, and high are coins and such.

adamBomb said:
Most people hunt in all metal (autotune) then flip to 0 on a target to hear the sound.

Not sure that is the way most people hunt, but it is how I now prefer to hunt most beach conditions.

The reason that I think it is important to listen to all the tones when using the discrimination mode on the CZ is that, as you turn the discriminator up past 0, you don't have the low tone for information. With the CZ, a larger piece of iron or iron with sharp edges (like cut nails) or badly corroded iron can wrap around and give a high tone. Sweep speed can help with identifying when that happens (sweep slow and see if it stays low tone). If you discriminate out iron, you don't get that information and a lot of those who are new to a CZ may get frustrated if they are digging a lot of iron when they think it should be fully discriminated out.

Low tone is iron. Some rings that have a split band may come in as low tone, or as adamBomb indicates, if gold is deep and on the edge of detection it may come in as low tone. Mid-tone is foil and tab range and is where many if not most of the gold jewelry comes in. The narrow nickle range is set to sound high tone. Even though a nickle is kind of in the middle of the mid-tone conductivity range, the CZ is set to have most nickles ring up as high tone. US pennies, dimes, quarters and other copper, silver and big pieces of aluminum (soda cans) are high tones.

The CZ21 manual covers a good bit of information and is at the following link : http://www.fisherlab.com/hobby/manuals/MCZ21B%20REV%202%20%2009.25.13%20-%20Reader.pdf

Hope that helps some.
Cheers,
tvr