Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question on Hori Hori's

Hightone

I've have a Lesche already. But wanted to get a good Hori Hori knife. I found this one for $26 and wanted to know if anyone has used one, or suggest a good one. Looking at many, they price from $14 to $75. What I liked about this one is that it had a handle shaped for digging rather than the straight hilt, and the inch numbers go up the handle to 10" for measuring.

217733-a1-lrg.jpg

They come in both high carbon and stainless blades.
The higher the quality blade the higher the price.
Great digging tools, the serrated edge really cuts thru the grass roots.
I good blade doesn't need sharpening, mine lasted 2015 season. First time I ever used one.
Didn't need to use my digging knife at all which needed sharpening each time out.

Some have a short blade narrow tang of a few inches, mostly on molded plastic handle version.

hori-hori-knife.jpg

Others have a wide blade tang the entire length of the handle

Reinforced_Handle-e1437332019527.jpg

I've been using the Hori Hori knives since 1988. The best have the wooden handle with the tang of the blade running up into the handle with the handle riveted on like the second picture on this post. The third picture shows a better knife but the cost is much higher than the second pictured and you'll never break the second one. I dip mine in Plastic dip so the handle is coated. The carbon steel blade is much tougher than the stainless steel blades and less expensive also. The Carbon steel will rust if left outside in the rain or not wiped dry at the end of of a detecting day, but I've never ruined, rusted, or bent a carbon steel knife. I have bent the stainless version.

After reading a few reviews on the one I pictured, the tang stops part way up the hilt according to some. I found the one Sven pictured with the 3 rivets and it is only a few dollars more. I can mark the hilt with extended inch marks to get a depth reading.

I was thinking of buying some of that Flex-seal for a few other projects around the house. A dip of the handle in the clear may be a good idea. Always wondered if that stuff would work on pinpointers. lol....

Thanks for the advice guys.