Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question on Iron Null?

Jeff (IL)

My current detector is a Minelab Elite. Can someone help explain the iron null feature on the sovereigns for me?

I currently run in disc mode, slight threshold, no notch and the disc as low as it will go.

I understand that when the coil is over an iron object, the detector will "null" (I'll loose my threshold)

When the detectors is "nulling" can I continue to sweep the coil?

Will targets still be detected when it's in a null state?

What's the proper action when I encounter an iron target and the machine "nulls"

Thanks everyone!

As you see the null is any target that is disc out, so with your notch and disc set as low as it will go than the only target to null will be iron. Now with a null it is letting you know you went over iron and if it is a big iron it may give a signal or one on the edge of it. With the Sovereign it will null more if the sensitivity is set too high too and with the null you have to go slower so the detector can recover from a null. Now if you sweep of the coil you hear the tones come and go then it is set right and the speed of the coil is OK, but if it is a solid null than you have to lower the sensitivity or go slower and in some cases both.If going slow enough and you have a good target next to iron you will hear the null of iron and the sweet tone of a good target, but if you go too fast the coil will be over the good target before it recovers from the null.
You will learn a lot from experience with your Elite.

Rick

when it nulls it has in fact seen an item that is undesirable, Iron , or if you are running any disc then it will null over a rejected item. the detector will fail to see anything while in the nulled out state. you need to wait until the threshold resets after passing a trash item, after it nulls just move the coil an inch or two away from the nulled out spot of ground and wait untill it comes back ,,,,,,,, good luck , I have the elite and I think it is a top notch machine,you are right on the money just keep after it ...........

NO, any silver coins you find will need to be sent to me for inspection and possible consifaction .They made be conterfiet and I wouldnt want you taking a hit from the FBI . :rofl:

Adam, on the ground put a dime and then put a nail on each side about 6" away from the nail. sweep the coil of your sov in disc and you can see that in a null it will indeed still hit targets.
no need to wait for it to reset but slowing down as Rick said is what I do.

HH
Neil

where you at in CA?

Neil , I am not attempting to be arguementitive here but the reality of the situation is the sov. will not see targets while nulling out over iron, the test you indicate is really no good , put the nail in front of the coin and you will clearly see the sov. completely misses the coin, in your test sweeping back and forth between the nails you will in fact get a response from the coin, but if you make it so the threshold is completely blanked out then it sees nothing, but betwwen two nails it will reset in plenty of time to see the coin, move the nails progressivly closer to the coin and see where it is gone if you want , but a totally nulled threshold will make your detector see nothing..... good luck in all your future hunting endevors >>>>

Adam, I was just trying to give you an example of how you could test what I was saying. Ive found more than enough stuff in iron to know a threshold null is not the same as the reset point on a sov. Only trying to help, not to hurt.
I had asked where you lived out in CA. I used to live out there, both down in Los Angeles for quite a few years and up in Alameda near San Francisco. I never detected out there, wasnt detecting at the time.

Take care,
Neil