Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question on Plues Detectors

lamarc

How come a Pulse Detector get better depth in the ground than the air. On VLF detectors you lose about a 1/3 in the ground than the air. On my Whites TDI I can pickup a small shell fragment say the size about 3"x3" inches in the air about 12 inches or so, but in the ground I can dig the small frags 15+ inches or better with a loud tone that sound like they are only a 10 inches deep.

lamarc said:
How come a Pulse Detector get better depth in the ground than the air. On VLF detectors you lose about a 1/3 in the ground than the air. On my Whites TDI I can pickup a small shell fragment say the size about 3"x3" inches in the air about 12 inches or so, but in the ground I can dig the small frags 15+ inches or better with a loud tone that sound like they are only a 10 inches deep.

What type of mineralisation are you using your detector on? I have found this not to be the case in the WA goldfields, air tests generally do better. However, people have commented on how air tests on a PI aren't as good and I'm sure that was the case for me at the beach. This for now leads me to conclude that in situ targets get picked up deeper than in air tests exept in high mineralised soils.

But to answer your question, doing a search on this site is best. Personally, let me say this, in the goldfields, I have gotten some amazing depth on .2 grammers when a certain type of rock(s) is under the coil (over the nugget in the ground), which makes me think, certain types of mineralisation help carry the signal?

Hey Bence, the only thing I can figure is all the rain we have had down here in Central Ms. the soil we have down here is light mineralization. Or maybe I have a high powered TDI Detector darnest thing I ever seen ?????. Lamar

Hi Lamark,

My first thought on depth is to ask: are the coils the same diameter? Both DD or both Mono?

Jonathan Porter, DVD The GPX Factor, (GPX4000) mentions rain. Water assists conductivity; if you have wet ground layer
with dry above or below, it will cause erratic threshold. As well as limit depth, or cause you to recalibrate and constantly manual GB.

I also have an X-Terra 70. Where I hunt in NorCal, there is little point in tyring to use it after a rain. Sorry, take that back... be
prepared to dig lots of ground noise targets. It will find real targets, just hard to tell what is real and ground noise because the threshold
is terribly erratic.

Air tests: I do that to remind myself what a .5 gram nugget sounds like, but I've never tried any comparisons. Good question,
I would guess that too is a function of coil type and diameter vrs technology.

The X-70 runs an 18.75 DD 10X5 elliptical coil - the GPX-4000 typically runs the Commander 15X12 semi-elliptical mono loop.
DD for the X-70 to aid in mineralized conditions and large mono loop for depth and sensitivity for nugget shooting - not everyones
favorites... just mine.

Bill