Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

question on the f-44 and replacing the tactile touchpad..

Mark ( ohio )

It seems to me the touch pad is not working as it should.. the mode is very slow to respond and can take 6,7,maybe 8 tries to get it to respond and the GG doesn't seem to balance the ground..
Has anyone else run across this with their own machines ? If sent back in for repairs is this going to be a major $$$ cost..

Thanks for any feedback. Mark ( ohio )

Seen those 'buttons' stop working on other electronics. They're not heavy duty or made to be used a lot. Repair cost for that detector isn't worth it as there are better ones for low prices. If you buy used you can get a great deal on a much better detector. I would suggest selling it 'as is needs repaired' or just part out the coil and other parts.. Good luck.

I went through two Fisher F22's the Pinpoint button moved or outright quit on both of them within a month or two of using them. I sent one in for repair and gave the other machine away to a beginner. I would personally cut your losses and just buy a Simplex or Vanquish if your wanting a much better machine on the cheap.

I can't remember who the Fisher Repair tech was but I remember they had me return my 1st faulty unit to the reseller which didn't set well with me either.

Ya , i have a vanquish 440 which i like alot, but the f-44 is a very good detector also.. Always good to have a back-up but if it cost major $$$ to fix I'll just junk it..

I had a bad membrane switch, or touch pad, whatever you want to call it on a Gold Bug in 2021. I've since noticed other posts of people having problems with the membrane switches on other Fisher models going back a few years. It does not look as if Fisher has rectified the problem, or even trying. Now I am a Fisher Fan Boy but when I see this has been an ongoing problem and they have done nothing about it.....loosing that warm fuzzy feelin'.

I just recently sent in an Omega 8500 with a bad membrane switch. They fixed it for free. All I paid was shipping. I was not the original owner and this detector was well used. I haven't lost the warm fuzzy feeling' because they did do something about it for me. I have one of the first newer models Gold Bug, the one with the screen. On some of them, the readout for depth and FeO2 was labeled opposite--in the all metal mode, the graph was labeled depth and in disc mode, labeled FeO2. The graphs were right but the labels wrong. When I asked Fisherlab about it, they said send it in. When it was returned it had a new control box. The cost--shipping! On the old control box, the screen was dented near the edge and I was not the original owner there either.

I see people urging you to get one of the newer rechargeable battery units. When the batteries go bad like they have in numerous power tools that I have had to discard, do you think the manufacturers will help you out after the warranty no longer applies?

I just recently sent in an Omega 8500 with a bad membrane switch. They fixed it for free. All I paid was shipping. I was not the original owner and this detector was well used. I haven't lost the warm fuzzy feeling' because they did do something about it for me. I have one of the first newer models Gold Bug, the one with the screen. On some of them, the readout for depth and FeO2 was labeled opposite--in the all metal mode, the graph was labeled depth and in disc mode, labeled FeO2. The graphs were right but the labels wrong. When I asked Fisherlab about it, they said send it in. When it was returned it had a new control box. The cost--shipping! On the old control box, the screen was dented near the edge and I was not the original owner there either.

I see people urging you to get one of the newer rechargeable battery units. When the batteries go bad like they have in numerous power tools that I have had to discard, do you think the manufacturers will help you out after the warranty no longer applies?

I concur PicketWire. I had the membrane go bad on my F5 after MANY years of use. I called Fisher and talked to Felix. After making arrangements, and shipping out my unit, it shows up at my doorstep a week later with new dash membrane, a new set of coil bushings and NO CHARGE for the repair. Another time my brother sends in his Delta 4000(purchased from a pawn shop) for a membrane repair/replace and again Felix does it for free That's customer service!!!!

F5

Never had a problem with my f5 seems solid i have one of the first bought it from Bill Ladd when he was in with fisher

I like the big display easy on old eyes. Not the best in hotter dirt but does ok. Fails to iron before other machines. Still like it good solid machine. Performance is very similar to the at pro.

Detector designs,, failures, and factory service:

57 years of owning and using hundreds of detectors of most brands from USA as well as Minelab and XP and one or two others. The more we are supposed to 'progress' it seems I have encountered more glitches or failures with both circuitry design as well as build-quality components.

I am more of an analog guy and miss the days when more quality knobbed controla were used, and good toggle-switches, too. Since 2006 I have owned a lot of T2's and a few F75' and never had an issue with the one toggle, one button and two knobs they use. I love the knob controls on the F5 and never had a problem with their pushbuttons. Had three F44's, and never had a switch problem.

However, I did have tactile switch issues with an early-release Euro Tech Pro, and tactile switch problems with an F70/Patriot, as well as a late version Omega 8000. My cost to FTP for repair? Shipping, that was it.

So far as switch / control issues, I have had more with FTP branded models, and most in just the past dozen years, but in all cases they resolved the problems w/o charge.

One thing I noticed, with both new and used models, was that the tactile switches might not like frequent use, and they seem a bit fragile such that a gentile press works, but a lot of hard presses on some of those switches might be a cause for a shorter function-life.

I like the F44 and a few other FTP models, but prefer more knobs and/or less stuff to go wrong. My top two favorites are the F75/T2 package and controls, and the F5.

Monte