Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question on using All Metal modes

foreign object

Having always used disc.I know little to nothing about using the AM modes on different detectors. What has my curiosity up is I have read where some use AM to size up and outline a target.

Could someone explain the procedure for each and the benefits of motion vs non motion all metal.

Thanks for helping the rookie out.

FO

i would like to see the replies also. on my vaq, if i when i use the pinpoint "all metal" button and it has a loud shriek, like a feedback overload. it is always a big target. it can be a little loud on a real shallow coin also.

foreign object said:
using the AM modes on different detectors.
You said "different detectors" so I can only comment on using all metal on a multi-tone machine. With the multi tones all metal can be a great benefit as it eliminates the nulls and you hear everything...can't really see where it would benefit you with a single tone except you may grab a little more depth and of course you will hear everything but in one tone? But without multi tone how do you decide to dig or not unless the object is so large that you can tell by the way it PP's that it's not what you are searching for? With my GSII I used to use lots of disc and still dug too much crap so I personally can't see where AM would help you with a mono tone unless you just want to dig it all....???? Keep in mind I'm a coin shooter only and based my thoughts around that?

I posted this a while back, but there wasn't much interest. It takes a bit to get used to doing this, but it works.

Ferrous and non-ferrous pinpoint differently in the all- metal mode. Ferrous will begin to sound off well before the coil is over the target - even for coin sized objects. Big iron will start to sound off a long ways before the edge of the coil is even close to being over the target.
Non-ferrous pinpoints differently, most non-ferrous targets (in the AM mode) will not sound off until the coil is completely over them, which is why over lapping your coil swings is so important. Non-ferrous pinpoints tight, unless of course you have a buried pop can, which will sound off before the coil is over it. But it is different than ferrous, ferrous starts off low and smooth and increases to a scream. Non-ferrous doesn't give much warning, the threshold rises almost instantly.
The only exeption to this is silver and aluminum. Silver, in AM will sound off just as the edge of the coil starts to go over it or just slightly before for a silver quarter or if the ground is wet a dime might sound off a little earlier too.
It is a new ball game if you suspect the target is beyond 6" deep for coin or smaller sized targets. Working between this technique and the disc mode, in time It becomes 2nd nature (fast) to know almost exactly what is under that coil before it is dug.
Because of target masking, I sweep from at least 2 sides of the target to hear how the threshold comes in. I almost never run discrimination higher than foil.
This only works with a concentric coil.

But wait..... There's more!
All those targets in the sand that are sitting on a weird angle, like a coin on edge that normally makes a good signal laying flat, or a ring on edge. The detector will struggle with those targets, getting poor depth, poor signal or none at all.
Now flick it in AM and see what it sounds like! Scratchy coins on edge will scream back at you, then use the test above to check for a worthy target.

My opinion on motion / no motion all-metal is that it comes down to personal preference. Either one works for me as long as the threshold has a very fast re-tune.

This is an interesting topic that you've raised, and one that we, as VLF machine users, should think about more often.

I mainly hunt in discriminate mode, but there are times when I do hunt in all metal mode, not just on beaches, but when I'm hunting in large fields that were once areas of activity, and are now in remote areas.

I can only speak for myself, and others may use the different modes for different purposes...that's one of the joys of our hobby...we can do it our own way. (I'm hoping you can understand my grammar).

You mention in your post several of the different ways we can use all metal mode.

Sizing a target: Depending on how much discrimination we are using if we are in discrimination mode, different sized targets of differing mettalic make-up can come in on our audio or visual ID as a coin or other good target.
Reasons for this can be:: metallic make-up of the target; depth of the target; size of the target; shape of the target; and the angle in the ground of the target. There may be other factors involved, such as two targets of differing conductivity being close together, but I think I have covered the main reasons. I'll give an example. If you have a single toned vlf machine such as a Cibola or Silver umax and you have your discrimination set to just knock out pulltabs, you may get a signal and is short and sharp...it could be a different sized pulltab to the ones you are knocking out, it could be a wad of foil, it could be part of an aluminium can, it could be a horseshoe. You might ask "how could it possibly be a horseshoe when I am knocking out some pulltabs, which are way above iron." The simple answer is that a piece of iron the size of a horseshoe, less than about 4" deep will give your detector such a shock that it will sound off...if your detector could say "excuse me, I'm sorry, I'm wrong, this is not a coin" then it probably would....but it just cant help itself, the impact of the signal that it receives back from the large iron sends it into shock mode and it automatically sounds off. If you put the detector into all metal mode, nothing is a shock. It picks up all metals and lets you know about the ones that are in reach. This is when we "size". You have the signal, you know where the target is....move the coil away, then bring it in slowly. Note the spot on the ground where you first hear the detector's signal. Then move your coil away from the target and bring it in towards the target from the opposite side...slowly. Note the spot on the ground where you first hear the signal. If it is the same spot, ie 1 sq inch, where you noted the signal from the other direction, then you have a small target, probal\bly not iron (or non ferrous). If the second response is not in the sq in region, but about 4" to 9" away from where you heard the signal from the other direction, then you have a larger target, possibly iron, possibly an aluminium can. If you go to right angles from the first two signals, and repeat the process, you can determine whether the object is round (or square) or long and thin. If it is long and thin, it might be worth digging as it could be a chain.

In all metal mode, if two targets are close together, provided you are moving your coil very slowly, you should be able to detect that there are two targets. In disc mode, it may just sound like one.

All metal mode will go slightly deeper than disc mode (which is not much use on the Cibola, but is handy to know on other vlf machines that have true all metal).

My next suggestion is to gather up as many items of different sizes and different metallic make-up, including iron, steel (bottle caps), aluminium, a range of coins and other odds and ends. Take them (and your detector) to an area which you know to be free of electromagnetic interference. Check the spot with your detector in all metal mode to make sure there is nothing beneath the surface, then place your items on the ground and go over them (one at a time) in disc mode, then go over them in all metal mode. Keep on testing them until you are confident that you are appreciating the difference in what your detector is telling you in the different modes. My view is that this is better than air testing, as it is making sure there is no EMI, and although the targets are not in the ground, the targets and your detector do have the ground as a matrix with which to contend.
Take your time and make notes of your experience....eventually, it will pay off...possibly big time. Good Luck, foreign object, and Happy Hunting.

Hey guys I appreciate your reply.
Thump and Furious I have a better understanding now and will start today hopefully trying out the all metal side of my Tejon.

Thanks again guys

FO

The one thing I don't like about the AM mode on the Tejon is it's a slow retune speed. The pinpoint am mode is a fast retune and the way I ground balance a Tejon. I think if you just run disc up barely high enough to knock out nails you'll do just as well as AM and not pull your hair out!

Fletch88 said:
The one thing I don't like about the AM mode on the Tejon is it's a slow retune speed. The pinpoint am mode is a fast retune and the way I ground balance a Tejon. I think if you just run disc up barely high enough to knock out nails you'll do just as well as AM and not pull your hair out!

I understand what you are saying. My curiosity was with the all metal ability to size a target.

Thanks
Dwight

Working on a better answer, but ... you have to know how your All Metal mode works.

(My initial post was a click on a wrong button. I guess I was/am tired. :shrug: )

foreign object said:
Having always used disc.I know little to nothing about using the AM modes on different detectors.
The #1 thing to know and understand what your detector model has. A true, Threshold-based All Metal mode, such as found on a Tesoro Inca, Eldorado, Bandido series, Silver Sabre II and Silver Sabre µMAX or similar model. Or, you might have a simple suggested All Metal Accept function which is nothing but a low to non-rejection motion-based Discriminate mode and still silent-search, such as with the Compadre, Silver µMAX or early Cutlass versions or even the 'original' Silver Sabre.

The #2 point to know is if your Threshold-based All Metal mode is a Static, non-auto tune function [size=small](such as a Bandido II, Bandido II µMAX in the 'NORMal' toggle selection and some other models)[/size], or a comfortable, Slow-auto tune function like the Silver Sabre II, Silver Sabre µMAX, 'original' Bandido, etc. Or perhaps it is operating in a Fast auto-tune function [size=small](such as with a Bandido II, Bandido II µMAX in the AUTO toggle selection)[/size], or other models so designed.

#3 is to know if your model has a manual Ground Balance setting or a factory preset GB, and then know how it is set for the ground mineral environment you're hunting [size=small](too negative, slightly negative, spot-on, slightly positive or too positive)[/size].

And #4 is knowing what the Threshold level setting is for the model you are hunting with and make sure it has a 'proper' Threshold level setting for maximum performance when in a Threshold-based All Metal mode.

Finally, #5, be aware that some models may have a Faster or Slower retune feature depending on the use of a selected All Metal search mode or a momentary All Metal Pinpoint function.

Once you know those things about your model's All Metal mode [size=small](True or Disc., static or auto-tune speed, GB setting, Threshold setting and specific to the AM selected function)[/size], then you'll know how to use it for best results when Pinpointing as well as trying to "size and shape" a located target.

foreign object said:
What has my curiosity up is I have read where some use AM to size up and outline a target.

Could someone explain the procedure for each and the benefits of motion vs non motion all metal.
Dwight, there are a lot of people, I'll safely even say most people, who have never heard about or wanted to learn how, or even really make a routine of trying to "size and shape" a target, at least using the All Metal mode. Some will hunt in the motion Discriminate mode and, if they get a strong signal, simply raise their search coil higher as they sweep to get an idea if the target is smaller and maybe coin-size, or larger such as a buried aluminum beverage can. I know I do that on occasion myself, if I am working a sandy beach or a deep woodchip or sand-filled tot-lot where people sometimes hide their trash out-of-sight.

As for using an All Metal mode/function to Pinpoint a target or to get a quick idea of a target's size, MY personal preference is to use a model that has either a Static All Metal mode or one that has a Slow auto-tune speed because I like them better, especially if I am in a trashier site, or to not have to be too cautious and controlling of the coil's speed. I have used some models that have a Fast auto-tune speed and, to me, they are too fast for some site conditions, and if you move the coil too slowly they can actually auto-tune out some of the more fringe area response and make a moderate-size targets 'appear' as if it was a smaller target with a narrower response.

I quickly read through the posts that were already up in reply to this and you can glean help from both 'thump7' and 'Furious T's' posts. Most folks are Coin Hunters or Jewelry Hunters in search of smaller-size, rounder-shaped targets, most of which are made of a non-ferrous metal or metal alloy such as copper, zinc, silver, gold, etc. As-a-rule, most of these are going to be smaller size, such as US 25¢ coin size or smaller, and typically they will produce a more narrow response. If checked from either side in All Metal, there will be a more pronounced audio response as the search coil's approaching edge is just about in-line with the target.

If a similar size and shape target is ferrous, such as an iron washer, bolt, nut, buckle, etc., and it is laying in a similar position as a good coin or ring, the approaching edge of the search coil will usually be a greater distance from the target coming from either side, and that wide-response alerts you to either a larger target and/or a ferrous-based target when compared with the narrow-response from a coin or ring or other smaller, non-ferrous object.

Most of the smaller-size targets we seek are found from surface to about 4" and targets in that depth range are more easily sized-and-shaped than deeper targets. The exception to that is bigger-sized deep targets which can still be sized and shaped.

As was suggested, it might be good to take an assortment of objects that you would expect to encounter and practice with them. Lay them on the ground in plain sight and also 'bury' them either in dirt or just obscured from view with a book or two or some other non-metal item. Remember, too, that when Pinpointing or when checking a target's size and shape, keep the search coil at a uniform position from the ground when you activate All Metal, be it a primary search mode or a momentary Pinpoint function. Don't raise or lower the coil from the height once you select All Metal as that can alter the response based upon the Ground Balance setting and any auto-tune that is incorporated.

Practice makes perfect, or so they say, so work at learning each detector you have, the settings, and the search coil in use. Larger sizes coils can do am OK size-and-shape, but not as well as a smaller-to-standard size coil. Also, while you can accomplish sizing-and-shaping with a Double-D coil, I still prefer a good Concentric type coil for most applications where I also will likely use this maneuver over a target.

jld66 said:
i would like to see the replies also. on my vaq, if i when i use the pinpoint "all metal" button and it has a loud shriek, like a feedback overload. it is always a big target. it can be a little loud on a real shallow coin also.
Most detectors are going to be louder over a shallow target, especially in a Threshold-based All Metal mode.

If you hear a "loud shriek" when you activate the All Metal Pinpoint function then there could be two or three good reasons. One, you press the Pinpoint button when too close to a metal target. Two, you have a Ground Balance setting that is way too positive and if you press the Pinpoint button with the coil in-the-air and lower it, you'll hear the loud response from the too-positive GB setting responding to the approaching ground.

The Third, and often more common cause that I have dealt with from Tesoro users who relate that behavior to me, is they have bumped the Threshold level up to "Super-Tune" the Discriminate mode's audio response on some mid-depth to deeper targets. That will cause the loud "shriek" audio when you go into Pinpoint All Metal. Never use a boosted Threshold if you're going to select the All metal search mode or Threshold-based All Metal Pinpoint function. A boosted Threshold can only be a little help in the Discriminate mode, and sometimes not really all that much help. I suggest a 'proper' Threshold audio be adjusted in the All Metal/Pinpoint search modes before you start a search of a site, then checking a target from the silent-search Disc. mode won't be a problem or annoyance.

Monte

I have to say i like the silent search all metal , on my umax I find the threshold all metal is good but sometimes may not be as deep as a silent search for some reason, the threshold can tell you the size of an object better , but the threshold will sound on a deep small foil way better so its nice to have each. and of course the threshold is most us full when GB the detector