Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question.Pinpointing

Pookybear

I am thinking of purchasing the AT Pro.I have many Metal Detectors. I have noticed that many people are having a lot of problems pinpointing some objects.If this is true can anyone tell me if there is a coil that pinpoints better.I do a lot of parks and tot lots.I have been on U tube and it seems that the detector works fine,but some are having difficulty finding their targets.I also notice that people dig rather large holes.Why is that? I never had to dig any more than three inches around the target.Please let me know if you have any of these problems.Thank you

Well, some people either can't be bothered to learn their machine, or there's something wrong with their detector & they should be calling Garrett's excellent customer service reps to get it repaired. I have an AT Pro & an AT Gold, and the pinpointing is dead on.

When I'm working in the woods, ghost towns, or fields, I pinpoint 'off the tip' (find the left/right center, then pull back until the signal starts dropping off). If I'm somewhere like a well-manicured park, I use the 'x marks the spot' technique to be extra certain that I'm centered over the target and dig a small flap (or pop it if it's near the surface).

I will say that the 5x8 coil is amazing, both in terms of pinpointing and it's ability to sniff out good targets in trashy areas. I suspect that you would really like it for parks & tot lots, though the 8.5x11 is also excellent.

Hope this helps!

The double "D" coil is excellent at seperating targets and works better than the concentric coils in mineralized ground. I am no expert here, but after some practice it pinpoints very accurately. I would say the main issue is for surface targets as the edges of the coil can sometimes pick up the target. You just need to learn how to do it and it is a vey nice coil. I just wouldn't want anything else. I'd like to say the double "D" is the main reason the AT is the #1 selling detector, but it's only one feature.

Hello, I use google translator, excuse the mistakes.
Soon you will be able to practice to focus their targets with great precision, even without using the pointer of the machine. I do not use it ever. You just have to make some good practices, with buried targets for yourself and stick brochette, marking the position off the ground, so you will see where and how to mark your coil. It should be borne in mind that the position of the target is important for the machine, is not the same coin coin flat vertical. In 90% of my holes were below the target where I thought the other 10% remained on the edge of the hole. Except that the depth or size of the object are large with a 20x20x20 hole in the worst case, is enough.

The AT-Pro pinpoints better then my Etrac with it's stock coil. Never had a problem with it. Occasionally a near surface target gets funny as mentioned above but if you run an X that irons it out quick. Both pinpoint mode and off the tip have always worked great for me.

The 5x8 points a little more accurately but then it's a smaller coil. The sniper pinpoints like no body's business but then look at it's size!