Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question please....

Old Katz

I just watched a Garrett DVD about the Infinium LS. Using 96 frequencies, I thought it sounded alot like the
MineLab technology.

I talked to a rep at Garretts and he said. as did the DVD that it was a good Land machine as well.
If thats so then why don't I hear more raving takes about the Infinium. Please advise.

Thanks
Katz

The LS was designed as a prospector's detector, but has a variety of other uses as well.

It'll find small gold nuggets in the gold fields and wedding bands in the surf along with relics in the Virginia countryside.

It isn't a turn on and go machine and requires some effort to learn how to get the most out of it, but has many limitations as well.

Tot Lots and beaches (above the water line) with lots of snap tops etc will be better hunted by nearly any VLF machine with some sort of descrimination capabilities.

The LS has an awkward kind of descrimination, but nothing compared to VLF machines.

Hope you find this useful,

CJ

PS It is a deep seeker of old gold in the salt water (Once you understand its language)!

CJ sums it up rather well.

The frequency thing (96) is interesting. I think it was Eric Foster on this forum who pointed out that on the basis that Minelab use to count frequencies (which are really harmonics) then all his P.I.'s had 96 as well.

With the Infinium to try and get correct ferrous discrimination there's a whole range of checks that have to be made above and beyond the high/low tone. Reverse discrimination has to be used. Gold can be high/low or low/high. Good/pure silver is low/high but if alloyed is high/low etc etc.

I found it a difficult detector to use on my nearest beach due to the nearby military base and there were EMI in and near cities (though the use of a small coil does help).
A slow sweep speed is needed for the best results.
A newer machine should be better than an older one as modifications were made over time. I think the coil cable was upgraded but some claim that later units were de-tuned to improve use in salt water with a mono coil. I e-mailed Garrett about this but alas no reply.

If you read all the pages of the above "Garrett Infinium Forum Classroom" http://www.findmall.com/ you will find all the info anyone could want and a whole lot you do not.

Best advise I can give is, advertise for a contact with an Infinium LS user in your vicinity to see if you can get together for an info/test session. There is nothing like first hand experience.

You are welcome to have a go with mine, but I would sound like a travel agency salesperson when revealing my residence is in Cairns Australia.

Should you wish for the travel anyway then by all means come over the Infinium LS is billed as an All Weather, All Terrain capable detector and we have a very wet tropical monsoonal season so the condition is just dandy with full test conditions available, nearest gold field is normally just hours away by car but with all the water around add a few hours and we'll just bring the dinghy.

3. Is it a turn on and go or is there a learning curve?
Yes it is possible to engage all the automatic settings and it become a one click switch on and go unit,............it's my favorite and most used setup.

ivanll