Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question: Troy Shadow X2 or Tesoro Vaquero Black?

fematrailer

I know both of them go deep but which is better for target separation and tones to give an idea of the target? Ok, which do you believe is better on depth and why?

Vaquero definitely superior due to the HOT technology and the manual ground balance.
BB

The Vaquero is like an "old school" Tesoro on steroids from what I've read about it. Yes it will more than likely give you more depth over the X2 if you have your ground balance set correctly. Most of the places I hunt are so "trashy"... the main reason I prefer the "calmer" electronics. On the other hand I'm sure there have been some times where I could have used that extra depth:shrug:

Though I may be mistaken, I believe the X2 used Tesoro's "ED120" discrimination, making it more pleasant to use in trash. With ground balance and threshold adjustment though, the Vaquero is much more versatile than X2, and able to detect a fair bit deeper than X2.
The Vaquero is very good at what it was made for; an all-around land detector you can set for any coil or soil condition (except salty beaches). Likewise, the X2 is a good (mild soil) park unit, but nowhere near as versatile as Vaquero.

I think the biggest attractions to the X2 are its sexy black appearance, simplicity and scarcity. Apparently some also like the Super 7 coil, 'cause they're relatively thin and supposedly a little "hotter" than Tesoro's own small concentrics.

pinenut said:
Though I may be mistaken, I believe the X2 used Tesoro's "ED120" discrimination, making it more pleasant to use in trash. With ground balance and threshold adjustment though, the Vaquero is much more versatile than X2, and able to detect a fair bit deeper than X2.
The Vaquero is very good at what it was made for; an all-around land detector you can set for any coil or soil condition (except salty beaches). Likewise, the X2 is a good (mild soil) park unit, but nowhere near as versatile as Vaquero.

I think the biggest attractions to the X2 are its sexy black appearance, simplicity and scarcity. Apparently some also like the Super 7 coil, 'cause they're relatively thin and supposedly a little "hotter" than Tesoro's own small concentrics.

I will say this the Vaquero may be a little deeper than the Shadow X2 when super tuned as I have owned and used one and liked it but it was a tad noisey at times , but I have dug silver quarters at over 10 inches with my shadow x2 and super 7 coil . I truly believe that Tesoro hit a homerun with the Super 7 coil not sure why as I am not a electronics savey guy I just know that it is a lot deeper and more sensitive than the standard 7 inch Tesoro concentric coils I have used. yes the black color scheme is by far better than the blue but look back and see what Tesoro did they changed their color scheme to black on the Tejon and Vaquero as well as the Cibola why was this? I would say as a Marketing ploy. Either way Tesoro is an excellent detector and I will always have one to use .

The Troy X2 is pretty much a Tesoro Silver with a Pinpoint and Coin Check button but no All metal mode in a black box.
My X2 was no deeper than the Silver Sabre I owned and my Vaquero is significantly deeper than both even without super tuning.

Have never used a X2 so cannot comment on that really,but i do use a variant of the Vaquero,like most of my machine i set them up with a small rust nail so that i just knock it out using a small amount of discrimination as possible,but if it gives a decent signal or even a signal that is total iffy and i am still not sure about it has too come out,i will agree that i possibly do dig more non desirable targets than most folks,but i also dont leave any 'decent' targets in the ground either.Audio is king all day long for me,screens TID or any other form of indication that can be found on detectors are ok down to about the 7-8'' depth range,but are very unreliable after that depth,but audio still gives you the full picture at greater depth and then of course the final indication the threshold hum.

Good headphones are paramount in my book when listening to those deep small targets and of course even deeper larger targets that are on the edge of the detector/coils limits.

Thanks for the input. I do want a Vaquero