Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question with a thought

txtrooper

I was wondering what the lowest VDI display was someone had on a silver coin or silver jewelry? I have been going to a beach area and I get frustrated not finding any jewelry or coins. I was thinking I may turn the notch discrimination up to notch out everything below 75ish. I realize this will knock out most gold but I was thinking I could cover the beach area quicker and maybe limit the trash items and get lucky with a silver ring or two. Wondering what you guys think?

Thanks
HH

I find silver all over the place but often below 60. It depends on so many factors it boggles the mind. My suggestion is to build yourself a little patch in your yard where you can bury things and experiment with it.

Ray

Best thing to do is just keep digging it will come if it is there. I have been know to do just the opposite of what you have planed. One gold ring can be worth a lot of silver and clad coins. When there are a lot of coins I will sometimes at the beach ignore them as I want to spend my time going for the gold. You will dig a lot of pull tabs and other trash but if you keep at it a gold ring will come. One good ring can pay your detector off. Keep at it and learn where and how gold is lost and you will be digging it in no time.

Jason

The problem with IDing silver, is that the more oxidation on it's surface, the more drift you will get from the 80's, meaning the VDI tends to go down in numbers. And....the real deep silvers do not always ID correctly. However, the silver rings/coins down to about 7-8 inches might still ID correctly if dropped not too long ago. Increasing your discrimination always involves risk. If you have time restraints, increasing the discrimination does make sense.

I'm with you on that one Mr.

I finally got over my 2 or 3 week "drought" last night and found some silver. The first silver dime was an iffy signal bouncing from the 20's to the high 60's. After I found the dime at 4 inches deep and then found a 4 inch NAIL 2 inches deeper--the ID numbers made sense. The lowest consistent VDI on a silver for me was 62, it turned out to be a tiny silver "fish scale". They usually ring in around the 70's. It was very deep.

Well I went to the beach yesterday and started out digging every solid signal...all I got was pulltabs and coke caps. Notched out everything below 70s and ended up finding 9 quarters, 2 dimes, 7 pennies AND 2 RINGS...both were junk rings though. I also have to say they were about 7-8 inches deep and if the water level would have been where it was usually (Texas is in a bad drought if you havent heard and the lake is 8 feet low) the I would have been in 6 feet of water. I know that I will miss the GOLD...learning that I will miss the Silver is upseting but for the time restraints I had a great day (also helped that I was with my dad while detecting). I plan on going back over the area with cooler temps and more time and digging the other signals but I was really getting disappointed in not finding anything at this beach (and had planned this to be my last trip if I didnt find anything this time). This did reignite my hopes for GOLD and SILVER.

Thanks for the advise and I will take it to consideration as with all advise.

BTW...the quartes rang in a strong 86-87, dimes 84, rings 81

Thanks,
HH

Gold is over $1800.00 an ounce, silver is only a little over $40.00 an ounce. My last 2 gold rings registered under 50 VDI. In time, with a little patience and some determination, you will find what your looking for. There are no guarantees with this hobby, you really have to stay with it and don't get discouraged when your expectations are not always met. Most of my best finds happened when I was going to give up for the day but decided to stay with it and it paid off. The majority of the good finds that you see on this forum are a result of allot of hard work and many hours spend out in the field, sometimes there will be no gain without no pain.
HAPPY HUNTING
TRIPLE-SSS

Many small gold rings(womens,often with stones) register around nickel and below. You might find it wise to accept 40 to 53 vdi, you'll get some aggravating foil, but persevere and It'll pay off.