Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question-----

Mike C...

Hi all I'm thinking about getting bigger coil for my EX2-which is better--the excellerator 12 " or the sunray 12"--will I get any more depth on coins compared to my stock 10.5"-How much heavier are they compared to the stock coil--I know I should get more depth and thats what I thought when I bought a super 12 coil for my Dfx--it did'nt get anymore depth than the stock 9.5" so I'm a little gun shy--Thanks-Mike C...AZ

I haven't really gave it a try for a full days detecting but what I have heard is that you will gain about an Inch or so in depth with this Coil over the Stock. But you have to remember to take into account that your Ground Conditions could be more Mineralized than mine or others. If so, it is hard to get any additional Depth unless you have some clean sites to hunt at with a limited amount of Trash or Iron. As far as weight between the Stock Coil and the X-12, the Sunray feels lighter but not sure how much. So, it would have to be up to you to either take the chance in buying a 12" Coil and see what you can do in your area. If it doesn't work as expected, you can always turn around and sell it at a limited loss of what you payed for the Coil. Good Luck and HH to you.:detecting:

n/t

Mike,

I purchased the Excelerator 12" coil. It seems to me to be lighter than the 10.5 stock coil, but I haven't actually weighed it. Some here have indicated they think the Explorer is not balanced very well and is somewhat heavy. I also own a Troy Shadow X-5, which is the lightest detector I've ever used, but since I cut my teeth on the old Garrett Master Hunter ADS series, I don't find the SE to be heavy at all. I think a lot of the weight perception is how people swing the coil, how long they extend their detector shaft, and their speed. Also, swinging from the elbow instead of your shoulder...stiff arm style...can take its toll.

I've always been a slow, methodical searcher, and have never 'hurried' to get done with a site. I shift my weight from foot to foot as I pass the coil in a straight line in front of me. I wait to complete the pass before I go the other direction (in other words, no quick choppy swings). Bottom line, operating technique can affect your perception (and endurance) when making passes with any detector, especially with a larger coil.

As to depth, I have only used it several times, as I haven't been able to get out much this month, but my impression is that it is a very deep seeking coil! Strong signals at 6 and 7" tell me that I could have easily detected targets twice that deep and have them register with no problem. Fact is, I can count the number of coin targets I've recovered 10" and deeper on two hands, and that's in over 30 years of detecting, but with many different detector models. I have confidence in the Excelator coil to find such targets, but so far, I haven't walked over any that I know of....they're out there, though.

(Heh, what's more frustrating than getting a deep deep target and knowing that you better not dig it for fear of the park dept, or homeowner etc. seeing you put your arm elbow deep in a hole that you dug in their lawn?...sometimes I have to pass on them just for the image of the hobby).

I think the advantage of the large coils is two-fold...ground coverage and depth. The 12" coil also has no problem pinpointing shallow or surface targets for me, and I believe (from the sites I've hunted so far...) that target separation is still exceptional. It used to be that with the old, heavy concentric 12" coils, using them to try to find deep targets in moderately trashy areas was counter productive. The cone shaped field simply took in too many targets at once from the soil matrix. The double D coils are a different animal. The shape of the field is such that one CAN differentiate good targets in a trashy matrix much better. I plan to use that coil in open areas to cover more ground and for heavily hunted areas that still might have a carpet of coins one to several inches below the maximum depth other detector/coil combinations can reach.

I've seen enough testimonials for either brand of coil, from people whom I respect on this forum as expert hunters. I think you'll do well with either of them, if you use them in the right areas and adapt your hunting techniques.

Knipper

It is light and I can get signals inside of iron infestation. In other words, it will hit a coin surrounded by nails. It is more difficult to pinpoint on the SE but sometimes I just don't pinpoint in that situation but use the front of the coil. When it gives the high signal I dig near the tip of the coil.

The other day at an old school I got a silverish hit. So I dug. I kept telling myself I know I heard a silverish tone so I have to keep digging. I dug down to the end of my digger handle and sure enough it was a merc. dime. The 12" coil is great.

I've got a couple of old school yards that I've been hitting over the years and I know that theres some deep silver still there--I was looking for more ground coverage and more depth to hit the deepies and it looks like the 12" might be the answer-Thanks-Mike C...AZ