Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Questions about interpretation of tones for the 5000 for relic hunting

Bill D. (VA)

I'm a new 5000 user and have a few hours under my belt now. Last weekend I got to practice at a red dirt site and the machine was an absolute killer on bullets. Since there was no brass at the site I experimented a little with an eagle button I brought along. I first threw it on top of the ground and it sounded just like a bullet. OK, no problem so far. Then I buried it at about 8" and swung the coil about 2" above the ground. The signal it produced was a little on the funky side (I call it warbly - kind of a combo sounding signal), and was one that I might not normally dig since I really don't know the machine that well yet. Then I scaped the ground as I swung and the signed reversed from how it sounded when air testing. So guess I'm a little puzzled as to how a nice brass target (or a ratty eagle button) is supposed to sound with this machine. Is everyone digging all solid lo and hi tones and avoiding just the broken ones? Also, how would a deep plate sound? About the only thing I've figured out so far is that small iron can sound sweet and you have to dig but if the signal disappears or nulls once you open the hole then you can safely assume its iron. I know there are no hard and fast rules for interpretation of sounds when it comes to brass or other targets, but I have open ears for anyone willing to share their knowledge and experience with the 5000. Thanks in advance for your help.

Dig them all!

The shape, depth and how the object is orientated is the biggest factor on target response.

A deep plate can give the classic inverted signal, at maximum depth it will just be a slight change in the threshold and seem wide.

Best advice is if it repeats recover it!