Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Questions about my new Nokta Fors Relic

Kevin B.

My Nokta Relic came with a Owners Manual written in.....Turkish....I assume. So I downloaded the English version. I have been a faithful Deus user for the last year (well, actually, this is my fifth Deus, but I have kept this one for a year......a new record for me..lol) I only share this to give some background. It's really irrelevant now that I think about it......but there it is.
I fell in love with my Red Racer back when they first came out. I was impressed because I was going back over secret sites that I had previously "cleaned out" with a Tek G2 and even an F75SE and an Omega. I also loved their customer service and their awesome interaction on detectorist forums. Now.....my question:
My dirt registers between 3 and 4 bars on the ferrous meter on the F75SE. Would anyone be so kind as to give me a good starting program? I will be hunting sites that are not trashy, yet were camped on by CW troops between 1862 to 1865. (Crap! Why can't I just ask a simple question without making a meal out of it?)
I am 6'4" and weigh 219 pounds and I have the unit set up perfectly for balance. I will take it out to my test garden today. Thanks and Merry Christmas to me fellow detectorists!!!!!!!!
PS: I guess I am trying to ask: How should I set my unit up that will get me raw depth. What setting (besides sensitivity) has an impact on depth? (Can't wait for the Impact!!!!!!)
I just went back and re-read my post. I bet y'all think I'm a sandwich or two short of a picnic. You wouldn't be far wrong. Anyway, I read this forum a lot and I value y'all's input. Thank you. Kevin

Talk to Keith or Monte.----They know how to get the most out of the Relic (and in mineralized ground to).

Kevin, you seem to have narrowed down your questions to one primary desire ....

Kevin B. said:
PS: I guess I am trying to ask: How should I set my unit up that will get me raw depth. What setting (besides sensitivity) has an impact on depth? (Can't wait for the Impact!!!!!!)
Okay, now to the meat of your question and that appears that you are wanting "RAW DEPTH."

The biggest concern with trying to gain an increase in detection depth is knowing both the ground mineral and texture [size=small](density, such as loose matter, pea gravel or rocks, and iron MMI read-out combined with the Ground Phase setting required)[/size] that you are hunting AND to know how much unwanted metal debris is present. In short, is the site trashy or void of any junk.

If there are ANY unwanted targets present, be them nails, screws, bottle caps, rusty tin, cast iron junk, or even non-ferrous trash like foil, pull tabs, screw caps, pieces of aluminum or copper, etc., then it will be next to impossible to achieve maximum 'depth' potential simply due to the masking effects of the unwanted trash that is present and typically too close to desired targets, or closer to the search coil than desired targets.

Should Keith S. respond, note that while he & I are both avid Relic Hunters, our personal detector function settings might differ. Why? Because our ground might differ, and the targets we are primarily after might be of different metal make-up, or size or shape, and certainly the type and amount of unwanted trash we have to contend with might also be notably different. Furthermore, we each have developed our own ideas or opinions of what settings seem to work best for us, and we might go about setting up the detector's 'saved' programs as well as have different opinions on what functions we might want to change and why.

In short, setting up any detector, be it an over-featured and complicated Deus [size=small](to me and many)[/size] or a much more simple and straight-forward design like the Nokta FORS CoRe or FORS Relic, it really boils down to the TETO set-up principle. Employing the TETO method generally requires ample time afield to get to know how to hunt the chosen sites, becoming familiar with any detectors and/or search coils used, and being comfortable with what different adjustment functions can and can't do.

I'll tell you what the TETO method is ... it means To Each Their Own. Just being individuals we can decide our own plan for control adjustment based upon our wants and needs, and our likes and dislikes.

Now, with that out of the way, I will also fill you in on my FORS Relic settings, search coil choices, and the reasons behind them. They are really very simple, and as I often state, ... I like 'simple.'

I use the Relic w/5½" DD coil, the CoRe w/'OOR' coil, the Relic w/5½X10 Concentric, the Racer 2 w/'OOR' or 5½" DD, the Relic w/7X11 DD then a Racer 2 w/5½X10 DD ... just about in that order based upon the types of sites I am hunting, the density of trash, whether the predominate trash is iron nails, other ferrous debris, or modern non-ferrous junk, and to a point just how I happen to feel at that particular time.

So with the FORS series Relic, my most-used Relic has the 5½" DD coil mounted. I use this combination in the trashiest Relic Hunting sites I deal with, especially when rusty tin is very often encountered. With the small 5½" DD coil in dense, nasty trash, I have that model ready to start-up in the Di3/3-Tone Discriminate mode. The saved settings are:

Sensitivity - '99'
ID Mask - '05'
Iron Volume - '02'
Tone Break - '65'
iMASK - '01'

My second-grabbed Relic sports the 5½X10 Concentric coil. I do have the 5½X10 DD, but I prefer the performance with the Concentric type coil as this is used where trash levels are very low-to-moderate, and mainly when the predominant Relic Hunting trash is iron nails or similar 'wire iron' type targets. The Concentric coil provides slightly better depth than the same-size DD coil, and more consistent TID read-outs and accurate ID's in iron littered sites. Because there will be very little pesky rusty tin, and a smaller amount of higher-conductive discarded junk, I have the turn-on saved program to start in the Di2/2-Tone search mode. Those settings are:

Sensitivity - '95'
ID Mask - '05'
Iron Volume - '02'
Tone Break - '20'
iMASK - '01'

When I face a wide-open area, be it a saltwater or freshwater beach, a plowed field, or a large, grassy park type environment, and where trash is not closely spaced, and also when I might encounter a more deeply located target while trying to cover a larger area, then I pick up my 3rd Relic w/standard 7X11 DD coil mounted. That unit has a saved program to start-up in the Deep mode, and those settings are:

Sensitivity - '90'
ID Mask - '05'
Iron Volume - '02'
Tone Break - ''20'
iMASK - '01'

My 'common' or 'carry-over' [size=small](set for one mode it applies to all)[/size] feature settings are:

Volume - '20'
Brightness - '20'
CM/Inch - 'in.
Language - 'EN'

Yes, you will notice that my start-up settings have the Sensitivity at a very high setting. There are a few reasons for that, such as I mainly hunt more remote locations where EMI is less often encountered. Also, many decades ago I got tired of starting out with a low-to-moderate Sensitivity setting, then slow-but-sure work my way up until I reached a point where I had the maximum stability. My 'simple' solution was to start out with as much Sensitivity as I felt a site might allow, then, if I had EMI challenges or the trash density or ground mineral make-up caused stability issues, I would reduce it just enough to regain a smooth and stable operation. Also, if I felt a benefit, I might even increase the Sensitivity, if conditions allowed.

The next adjustment to make that might enhance depth-of-detection is to use the lowest Discrimination [size=small](ID Mask)[/size] level possible or the lowest that you can tolerate [size=small](listen to)[/size] and be comfortable while hunting. There are times when conditions allow me to reduce the Disc. level and still handle the very mineralized rocky terrain I usually hunt and possibly enhance depth, but so far my start-up settings are working well for me.

I am sure you or somebody might have a question or two about my settings, and if so you're welcome to shoot me an e-mail to discuss it/them.

There are very subtle differences between my three saved start-up programs, but that's because very little difference is needed, and I try to start out at about the maximum depth performance I can, then just adjust from there as desired. I really enjoy using my Relic units, as well as my faithful CoRe and the Makro Racer 2, because they are all well engineered, performance driven, have ample adjustment features while keeping the units 'simple' and not using an excess array of setting adjustments. This lets me get into action quickly and easily, tweak any settings as I might desire for a particular site, and enjoy the fun of detecting.

Oh, one final adjustment comment. I always have the Ground Balance Tracking turned 'Off'. You should not use Tracking in any of the motion-based Discriminate modes. Only in the Threshold-based All Metal mode, and I only opt for Tracking about 5%-10% of the time I am searching in All Metal mode. I rely on the automated/Ground-Grab method to establish a starting GB, and I will often tweak the GB with a little manual adjustment to be just slightly more positive in challenging ground conditions. Slightly.

Monte

Thank you Monte, very much, for your, as per usual, well thought out response. I experimented (vaguely familiarized) myself with my FORS Relic in my test garden yesterday. Looking promising. Again, thank you Monte. And Merry Christmas. kevin

You'll love that machine.
The only issue I had when it was new is not finding trash, but finding trash alot deeper than before.
I realized later that it was a plus not a minus once I learned how to decipher the ID readouts.
But as with any detector, and as Monte's signature says, your eyes are the only true discrimination. So anything in the area of the goodies, dig it. Some see it as a waste of time, but I see it as if it was gold, it's worth my time as well as all the time spent digging trash. No matter what it's still fun.
Enjoy your relic!!!
(Hopefully our distributor starts stocking the 5.5x10 concentric before I lose interest and just use what I have.... Possible money in the bank for them that they must not care to have....)
Happy hunting!!!

Yes, the 5.5x10 elliptical should really be included with the other two coils (11" and the 5"). The Fisher F-19, which is also a 19 kHz machine comes standard with the 5 x 10. So I am in full agreement with ya. I am going to put the Relic in one of my sites tomorrow after church and lunch. I'm looking forward to it. I wouldn't mind seeing a 13" Ultimate coil made for the FORS Relic.
No brass button would be safe, if it is out there in the woods....un-surrounded by ferrous trash. Merry Christmas to you and Monte and the rest of the crew here at Findmall.