Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Questions about the Tejon.....

kammerer1

I've decided to try a Tejon. Mainly as my relic hunting machine. Is there another Tesoro model I should consider? Any recommendations or thoughts on coils I should get?

Thanks!

kammerer

Since you asked, I'll throw in my 2¢, get the Outlaw with the 3 coil package, that should cover all bases as far as coils go. The Outlaw has a ED-120 disc. circuit which means when the Disc. is set at minimum it is discriminating out small iron nails. Mine is used around old house sites, old torn down churches and one room school houses. Settings are Min. Disc., just audible Threshold, and ground balanced spot on with no change of Threshold sound. I can run the Sensitivity up into the orange boost range at most places, at an old torn down 1800's church site I was able to pull a 9" deep Indian Head penny with the 8" coil.

Thanks for the advice Hombre. I'll look into the outlaw as well.

For relic hunting you may want to stay with a machine that has a ground balance control and not a pre set from the factory. I know the Tejon has that but not sure which if any of the other models have that.

I would go to their web site and read up on on the models. The Tejon is one of the top of the line machines so I would hold that for you number one pick and check out the others.

If you would consider another brand send me a PM, we would need to move off the Tesoro forum.

Ron in WV

I just got a Tajon, , so i don't really feel qualified to comment as i have not had much time , but it is set up as a relic machine and i can say the slow all metal will find deep targets, and it can find small targets deep probably deeper than most other machines

Tejon hands down. I have had a couple other Tesoro's and all are good, but the Tejon is my favorite hands down. :thumbup:

Let me first add a clarification here that Ryan stated he wanted to try a Tejón "mainly as a relic hunting machine," and that naturally calls for anyone's opinion about just what "Relic Hunting" is, and whether any target rejection would be used. This naturally means you have to think of the site environment where the individual plans to "Relic Hunt," so I'll share my Relic Hunting thoughts.

There have been times I have gone Relic Hunting with the intent of recovering ALL targets at a site, both ferrous and non-ferrous because some iron targets just might be desired. However, most of MY Relic Hunting for over 46 years has been in old town sites, homesteads, mining and logging camps, pioneer and military encampments, etc., and quite often the most annoying target present is a blasted rusty nail. Therefore, I Relic Hunt with only enough Discrimination to just barely reject typical iron nails.

Now, you can say you have hunted a "trashy site" and I don't doubt that we all have encountered bad conditions, but I also know Ryan is planning to attend the open "Welcome-to-Hunt Outing" 3 weeks from today in Nevada where we are concentrating our efforts to try and pluck a keeper-or-two from some of the most challenging, iron infested sites you could imagine. I know because I started hunting them in mid-1969, and when it comes to small iron, especially nails and similar-sized ferrous junk, it is very hard to find a place trashier than these old RR town sites. :rant:

Since Ryan was there for a few days in May, and did okay, he knows what to expect and is simply looking for an alternative to the model he has and some he has recently tried, and any avid relic hunter simply needs to at least experience what a Tesoro can provide when it comes to iron nail Discrimination conditions.

John (Ma) said:
Tejon hands down. I have had a couple other Tesoro's and all are good, but the Tejon is my favorite hands down. :thumbup:
John, I am with you on having an admiration for a specific Tesoro model, and I know what a Tejón can do so I agree with how you feel. I am, and have been for over 32 years, a dedicated fan of MY favorite Tesoro models.

kaolinwasher said:
I just got a Tajon, , so i don't really feel qualified to comment as i have not had much time , but it is set up as a relic machine and i can say the slow all metal will find deep targets, and it can find small targets deep probably deeper than most other machines
Gunner, I hope you spend time to get to know the Tejón well, both its strengths and weaknesses. Yes, the Tejón was designed and promoted as being a "relic hunting" detector, but that's also what the former Bandido series models were, and the two Eldorado's, because they had the adjustment functions to make them versatile for a variety of hunting conditions.

I enjoyed the slower auto-tune All Metal mode of my 'original' Bandido for over a dozen years before the Tejón came out, and yes, a slower auto-tune can have a bit of advantage on the smallest-size and deeper-located targets we might encounter, if hunting in an All Metal mode. But Ryan, I believe, is primarily interested in "relic hunting" iron littered sites, and very densely-littered sites, so using a Threshold-based All Metal mode isn't what he wants or needs.

I wish you and your Tejón could come on out to Nevada for a few days and join the fun, and I can guarantee you, there are only a very, very few spots in any of the three mains towns were you would even think of searching in All Metal. It is an open invitation to you or anyone, and a good opportunity to unearth a few older-dated coins and choice artifacts. [size=small](Our two oldest coins in May were 1854's. A Large Cent and a Seated Liberty Half-Dime, but many other nice finds were made, too!)[/size]

WV62 said:
For relic hunting you may want to stay with a machine that has a ground balance control and not a pre set from the factory. I know the Tejon has that but not sure which if any of the other models have that.

I would go to their web site and read up on on the models. The Tejon is one of the top of the line machines so I would hold that for you number one pick and check out the others.

If you would consider another brand send me a PM, we would need to move off the Tesoro forum.

Ron in WV
Ron, I am not sure which other brand you might have to part with, but I know Ryan has a Fisher F19 and made some nice finds with it in May, and since then he has-had a Makro Racer Pro Pack that one of my sons will be using soon, but he hasn't had a Tesoro. He did watch Keith's video with a Tejón using the stock 8X9 spoked Concentric coil, and on my Nail Board Performance Test it could be a wake-up call for many people about what Tesoro performance can provide in an iron nail infested site. I know as that's been my primary use detector brand and the main models I have compared all other brands with for working such nasty environments since the summer of '83.

Hombre said:
kammerer

Since you asked, I'll throw in my 2¢, get the Outlaw with the 3 coil package, that should cover all bases as far as coils go. The Outlaw has a ED-120 disc. circuit which means when the Disc. is set at minimum it is discriminating out small iron nails. Mine is used around old house sites, old torn down churches and one room school houses. Settings are Min. Disc., just audible Threshold, and ground balanced spot on with no change of Threshold sound. I can run the Sensitivity up into the orange boost range at most places, at an old torn down 1800's church site I was able to pull a 9" deep Indian Head penny with the 8" coil.
You might expect me to jump in and argue about the Tesoro Outlaw as a choice .... but I won't because I also know that the Outlaw provides the well-known and time-proven Tesoro Discrimination with great iron nail rejection and quick-recovery.

I will also state that out of all the detector models Tesoro is offering the USA market today, I would probably pick a Tejón first and an Outlaw would be my #2 pick. Why? Because while I personally do not care for the Outlaw's two-function pushbutton design and favor all my battery of Tesoro's for their mode-change toggles, it is mainly due to the audio response. You know, some fellow who posts on these forums has a signature that reads:

"I use various analog detectors, knobs and switches rule.

Randy from south central Kansas
"

... and I can't help but agree. I like knobs and switches, with 'switches' being toggles, not two-position buttons. ;)

I have very impaired hearing and the Outlaw has a lower tone compared with my personal pick of Tesoro models, and the Tejón's #1 favorite control for me is the variable Tone control to set the audio pitch I prefer .... and that's a higher-pitched audio.

But, you were the first to respond to Ryan's post question and gave what I consider to be possibly the best answer based on shopping from Tesoro's currently-produced models. I am not sure the 3-coil package would be the best, but it would let him have the 'standard' 8" coil for some day-to-day cleaner site hunting, and he would also have the excellent 6" Concentric coil! :thumbup:

That 6" Concentric coil [size=small](Tesoro calls them 5.75 but I know how to use a ruler :rofl: )[/size] is what I have mounted full-time on my Bandido II, on my Silver Sabre µMAX, and another on my Bandido II µMAX. I'm shopping for a 4th 6" Concentric coil to keep mounted on a spare lower rod for use on my Eldorado, but I will generally grab it for cleaner sites when I will use the stock 8X9 spoked Concentric coil.

The 3rd Outlaw package coil, the 10X12 DD, I personally have no use for because I don't hunt clean sites. I have other detectors/coils, if I need 'bigger,' and have my like-new 10X12 DD for sale. So far, I haven't found anyone else who feels they need a bigger-size DD coil, either. :shrug:

kammerer1 said:
I've decided to try a Tejon. Mainly as my relic hunting machine. Is there another Tesoro model I should consider? Any recommendations or thoughts on coils I should get?

Thanks!
Ryan, you got my lengthy e-mail so I'll keep this one much shorter. :lmfao:

The Tesoro Tejón is worth giving a try, and I think you might even enjoy it. I really like the variable Tone control, and I like the ED-180 Discrimination range of acceptance for times when I do want to use an all metal accept Disc. mode set-up. That's why I added the Tesoro Eldorado to my arsenal, because it also has the 8X9 spoked Concentric coil, manual GB, and the ED-180 Discriminate mode circuitry.

As for "another Tesoro model" to consider, I would really encourage you to look at any of the models that have:

A true, All Metal search mode
Variable Threshold control
Manual Ground Balance
An ED-120 Discriminate mode

Those models would include the following:

The 'original' Bandido [size=small](the model that introduced the ED-120 Disc. in 1990)[/size] .. OR .. the Bandido II .. OR .. the Bandido II µMAX .. OR .. the currently made Outlaw.

If you haven't found a Tejón or other model by outing time, use your current model and compare it with one of the Tesoro units I'll bring along as a 'loaner' unit. That will let you know what they can and can't do. I know it is difficult because we don't have a lot of detector dealers around in local shops like we used to as this hobby is quickly dying, but if you can, try to handle one before you purchase so you'll have an idea what you are getting.

I'll see you in three weeks, and bring your buddy as Rikki enjoys company.

Monte

I've been detecting since 1971 and have never dug targets any deeper than I have with the Tejon. For the low conductors, which means most relics, the Tejon goes unbelievably deep. I recently purchased a Nautilus IIb and it is supposed I be a relic beast as well, but I'm still learning it. You can't go wrong with the Tejon!

Monte, thanks for keeping it short. Lol Just kidding, thank you so much for your input, advice, and knowledge. Much appreciated. Sounds to me as though the Tejon is the right choice.
I'll see you in a few weeks, hopefully with a Tejon, and I'll try to bring Biscuit.

Thanks again

Ryan

I did take the Tejon to my old house lot and hunted in disc, .Second threshold was just past the Iron mark . And I can tell you it can pick things out of the Iron lets put it this way I knew when i had Iron and when i did not was not second guessed one time , I removed one Iron target and scanned again, and got a hit in disc two and it was a small brass Cap for a tire nozel. and a 1966 penny it can really pick good . the one thing the Tejon has is a very Good modulation on the Target audio. you know if you are getting a soft sound its deep and if its just a click its deeper yet . when i was hunting in the lot i would get several loud targets and then once removed , a softer one would come thru and almost always it was deeper