Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Questions from an almost newbie

txtrooper

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum and have looked at many of the posts and photos. Looks like I have found a great spot to learn some tricks to the hobby. Have a few questions if one will take the time to read and give their advice. Right now I have an Ace 150...great starting detector but I am looking to upgrade real soon. I have been shooting off and on for about 5 years when work allows. I generally go to the parks and houses I get permission to hunt on. Have found several coins but only one silver .25 and one wheat penny. No rings, yet. Maybe I will find a first soon.

Questions:

1. I am looking at new Garrett's and have my eye on the 550, 1350 or 1500. I was hoping for some input from someone who has used these detectors (good and bad)?

2. I am going to by the Garrett pin pointer but Kellyco has a deal on the Automax and the Bounty Hunter pin pointers. I was looking to get my Dad one to help him find items as well but don't want to spend the money on two Garretts. Which is better between the Automax and BH?

3. Are there any clubs around the Weatherford, TX area that anyone knows of and how can I contact them?

Thanks for taking the time to look and any input and advise is appreciated.

Txtrooper

It really depends on the type of hunting that you plan on doing. That GTI 1500 is probably the best coin shooter available. The AT Pro is an awesome machine and can get mid-range conductors(like gold/jewelry) much better due to it's higher frequency 15kHz. It can also find much smaller bits, like earring backs and chains better and deeper as well as gold nuggets if you ever plan on nugget hunting. Not to mention it's submersible to ten feet if you plan to do any water hunting. Just remember, if ya want to find jewelry, you need to dig alot of trash targets. Oh yeah, the AT Pro can get the coins, too!
Best of luck to ya!:biggrin: Feel free to ask for advice at anytime:wiggle: Happy Hunting!:)

wow upgrading to a 1500 from a 150 is quite a jump....if you want a solid detector to get the coins, rings, relics etc.....for the money you can not beat the ace 250 or ace 350.
it looks like you are a weekend warrior etc.....you go to parks etc.....you may want to look into the ace 250 or 350...plus it will save you money.

You can get two cen-tech pinpointers from Harbor freight tools for under $25.00. I made the mistake of first buying a bounty hunter one for $145.00. there is no comparison .The cen-tech out performed the bounty hunter. go to Harbor freighttools.com to order Wayne

txtrooper said:
Hello all,

I'm new to the forum and have looked at many of the posts and photos. Looks like I have found a great spot to learn some tricks to the hobby. Have a few questions if one will take the time to read and give their advice. Right now I have an Ace 150...great starting detector but I am looking to upgrade real soon. I have been shooting off and on for about 5 years when work allows. I generally go to the parks and houses I get permission to hunt on. Have found several coins but only one silver .25 and one wheat penny. No rings, yet. Maybe I will find a first soon.

Questions:

1. I am looking at new Garrett's and have my eye on the 550, 1350 or 1500. I was hoping for some input from someone who has used these detectors (good and bad)?

2. I am going to by the Garrett pin pointer but Kellyco has a deal on the Automax and the Bounty Hunter pin pointers. I was looking to get my Dad one to help him find items as well but don't want to spend the money on two Garretts. Which is better between the Automax and BH?

3. Are there any clubs around the Weatherford, TX area that anyone knows of and how can I contact them?

Thanks for taking the time to look and any input and advise is appreciated.

Txtrooper

Good morning!
If you will Email me: socialmedia@kellycodetectors.com I'll put you in touch with one of our Factory Trained, certified Metal Detector Experts who will work with you and answer all your questions. Kellyco is the Largest and Oldest metal detector Dealer in the world. We've been in business over 50 years and we are a sponsor on this forum. In addition, Kellyco

txtrooper, I have the Automax pin pointer and I not very proud of it. I have an Ace250 it's a good machine, but I want the AT Pro as well.
That's only part of the Truth I want all of them.
Joe

Get the ATpro. That seems to be in your budget since you are looking at higher priced machines. Don't fall for the $145 pinpointer that is only going to cost you $14.95. Buy the Garrett Propointer. Do not think for one minute that we the users are not experts. Another option already mentioned in another post. For your type of hunting the Ace 250 or 350 would do the trick. Plus save you enough cash for the Sniper coil (TOT LOT and TRASH KILLER) and two Garrett Propointers. Plus maybe a couple of Predator diggers like the #85 knife or now my favorite - Raptor.

I've used a few different pin-pointers and the Garrett Pro-Pointer is the best of the lot.

John

From the land of the Bluenose.....not a good person to ask here as personally i think one if using their pinpointing properly think a pinpointer is not necessary.....be one with your machine!

Pro Pointer fan here. Just do a Google search on the Garretts Pro Pointer and see what everyone has to say about them...it's pretty much unanimous and in glorifying fashion. The Pro Pointer is what kept my interest in detecting back in the summer of last year. It is so much faster to locate targets from a hole than with no PP at all. My soil seems to tarnish targets to the same color as itself and there were many times I'd escape the heat and give up on the hole. That changed instantly when I got the handheld Pro Pointer.

To me???, it's a no brainer on getting the pro Pointer.martin

Thanks for all the advise...I should be getting my new AT Pro and Garrett Pro pinpointer in the mail soon!! I look forward to posting some great finds later.