Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Queston?

txop

Hello all,

The wife and I both enjoy metal detecting. When we started Troy, the Show inventor, was in our local club so we all bought Shadow X2's. We found a lot of stuff. Then we switched to ID machines and my finds went down. I end up cherry picking and miss a lot of the good jewelry we use to find. We have decided to go back to a beeper. My wife still has her original Shadow X2 so she is good to go. A couple of years ago I sold mine. The Shadow was a great detector for the coin shooting we like to do.

I need to buy something for me. I was thinking about something in the Tesoro line but certainly open to other brands. I would like something with a 7 inch coil or one I can buy a 7 inch coil for.

So which detector would you buy that would be as good or better than a Shadow X2? Recovery speed is important also since we mainly hunt lots where the houses have just been demolished and carted off leaving lots of trash behind.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Harold

The Troy X2 is a modified Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax. They no longer make that model. All Troy did was remove the Threshold control from the Silver Sabre and added a coin check.
So far as set up the Cibola has the exact same controls as the Sabre. The Cibola is in my opinion an often over looked and under rated machine.

Try a DeepTech beep and dig or even the new Quest Q40 and don't look at the meter and it will be what a Tesoro should have been as a move up from the Cortes. Contact forum sponsor River Team Six.

Get a Cibola or vaquero, they are great. See vaqueros for reasonable prices on eBay. The vaqueros like coins and jewelry.

What does the Vaquero have that the Cibola doesn't other that ground balance adjustment.? I was thinking a Cibola would fit my need but watching a couple of youtube video's it didn't look that good on depth. Best I can remembet it would even see a buried 8 inch quarter.

I think they have a different chip but basically the same other than the gb. Keith southern SD that the vaquero likes round objects maybe more than the Cibola. Who knows

txop said:
The wife and I both enjoy metal detecting.
You're very fortunate. I wish I had a wife who enjoyed detecting, even if she out-hunted me that would be fine. :twodetecting:

txop said:
... we all bought Shadow X2's. We found a lot of stuff.
Understandable since you had a new-to-you detector and it was possibly an upgrade to whatever you used before, if you hunted much before getting the Shadow X2. Also, if you had hunted, you might have taken the Tesoro-based Shadow X2 to some of the same locations you had hunted prior and found targets that were still there. That's also common and even this past year or two I have managed to pull good targets out of some old sites I have hunted dating back to 1983-'90. Stuff gets missed and with a good detector for trashier places, which could be virtually any Tesoro Discriminator, you can re-hunt and chance upon good targets.

txop said:
Then we switched to ID machines and my finds went down. I end up cherry picking and miss a lot of the good jewelry we use to find.
Finds can decrease for several reasons, but folks have 'cherry picked" even long ago before to the present with and without Target ID by simply using too much Discrimination. Then, too, it can be because they are using Target ID so they concentrate their hunting on more coin=specific sites that might be less likely to have lost jewelry. One other reason is that they have chosen a detector that operates at a frequency that isn't quite as efficient for finding lower-conductive gold chains, rings, pendants and such.

It could be that your good jewelry recoveries might increase if you kept the Discrimination at a comparable low setting like a good Tesoro at the minimum setting, then work the coil slowly and methodically while works potential sites for gold and silver jewelry and recover everything that beeps. Just ignore the display.

txop said:
We have decided to go back to a beeper.
By 'beeper' you must mean a non-display detector, in which case I can only recommend a good Tesoro model produced today or a some of the former popular models.

The Shadow X2's were good turn-on-and-go models that were, as mentioned, were based on the Silver Sabre µMAX [size=small](microMAX)[/size]. The Silver Sabre µMAX is one of the models in my detector battery, which I prefer of the two, and I keep a thin-profile 6" Concentric coil mounted for most hunting I do. They are difficult to find in decent condition but they are out there.

A current model, and the newest from Tesoro, in my arsenal is the Mojave. This device is quite versatile, yet simple, but it does lack the Threshold-based All Metal Pinpoint function. For the bulk of my Tesoro hunting I can get by without it as they can isolate a target quite well with their slow-motion/quick-response design. It seems to work best for me with the new standard 7" Concentric coil.

My 3rd Tesoro is the newer 'black' version Vaquero that I sent to Tesoro for the high-tone modification. I keep the standard 8X11 DD on a spare lower rod for hunting more open areas, but a 6" Concentric stays mounted most of the time because I hunt trashier sites most often. All of these detectors serve me well, and there are a few other current and former models I would suggest you consider, such as: An 'original' Bandido, a Bandido II, or the last series offering, a Bandido II µMAX, or go with the currently produced Vaquero

Yes, there have been a few good turn-on-and-go models, such as the Silver Sabre II and Silver Sabre µMAX and the current Cibola, but I would recommend you consider a model that features an external manual Ground Balance option. Why? Read on ....

txop said:
My wife still has her original Shadow X2 so she is good to go. A couple of years ago I sold mine. ... I need to buy something for me. I was thinking about something in the Tesoro line but certainly open to other brands. I would like something with a 7 inch coil or one I can buy a 7 inch coil for.
You and your wife have been using the Shadow X2, a turn-on-and-go model with a preset Ground Balance, and you abandoned yours a couple of years ago to experience different and more modern featured makes and models. You wife has continued to use here Shadow X2 so that suggests to me that it is working fine and, most likely, she is only using one search coil on it.

In your case, you sold yours to use one or more detectors that offered more features and, presumably, more performance abilities. If that's the case, then I believe a Tesoro model with manual GB is in your favor because it will provide you the performance ability to fine-tune the GB for any particular hunt site. Also, if you change search coils you will then be able to adjust the GB [size=small](they call it 'calibrate' at the factory with preset detectors)[/size] your Tesoro for the different coil in use for any site you hunt.

Therefore, of the currently-produced Tesoro models, my vote is for the Vaquero which, if you note below, is a model I have in my own Regular-Use Detector Team. I hunt trashier sites and keep a thin-profile 6" Concentric coil mounted full-time, but my 'black' version Vaquero also has the standard 8X11 DD coil on a lower rod for fast changes, and I can quickly and easily adjust the GB for peak performance with either coil in any ground mineral environment.

Another Tesoro with manual GB to consider would be a very clean condition Bandido II [size=small]micro[/size]MAX which, although discontinued years ago, it is still one of the most favored and most wanted Tesoro's on the market today.

txop said:
So which detector would you buy that would be as good or better than a Shadow X2?
For 'turn-on-and-go' it would be the Cibola or Silver Sabre µMAX, and for a manually GB'ed version I would suggest the Vaquero or Bandido II µMAX. Two if these are current production while the two [size=small]micro[/size]MAX models were discontinued, but are some of the hardest to find today because they are so in demand as proven performers.

txop said:
Recovery speed is important also since we mainly hunt lots where the houses have just been demolished and carted off leaving lots of trash behind.
Pick any good Tesoro, use a 6" or 7" Concentric coil, and the lest Discrimination you can tolerate. No more than just iron nail rejection. Work them slowly and methodically, overlap, and dig all kinds of stuff others might likely miss.

txop said:
What does the Vaquero have that the Cibola doesn't other that ground balance adjustment? I was thinking a Cibola would fit my need but watching a couple of youtube video's it didn't look that good on depth. Best I can remember it would even see a buried 8 inch quarter.
Having the ability to tweak the Ground Balance for any site or for any search coil in use is the primary thing, and that's important to me for many sites I hunt. Having versatility is important. That's one reason why I have a Vaquero in my working detector arsenal, but knowing there are times it isn't as necessary and a turn-on-and-go unit will do I also have a Silver Sabre [size=small]micro[/size]MAX and Mojave.

Let us know what you decide to get and how things work out for you, and have great 2018!

Monte

Well, I'd have to ask, how is the ground where you are? Do you have mild soil or mineralized soil?
If you have mild soil any Tesoro will work for you. If you have alot of mineralization and hot rocks, you'll want a unit with ground balance.
As far as your question of cibola vs vaquero, the do have other slight differences. I modded my cibola with ground balance and noticed something about the disc.
With the cibola the certer area of the disc circuit is more spread out. Meaning the area between nickel and zinc and probably a little above and below them is wider on the dial then my vaquero. I'm including a picture showing yellow lines where nickel and zinc disc out on both. You'll notice the cibola is speed apart more. I'm not sure if this info helps, but just letting you know what I found as far as differences.

Monte,

Thanks for all your comments. I have read many of your posts over the years.

Yes, I am lucky that the wife likes to hunt. She has been using a White's Classic ID for several years now and loves it. I bought her a back up although she has never needed it. Her Shadow X2 has been hanging on the wall for a while. We have been married 44 years now and will both be 65 this year. We have also ridden all but 5 states of the lower 48 together on my motorcycle. She can still be a pain ever once in a while :) I am sure she would say the same about me :)

I am in the Dallas, Tx area so the soil is really mild here. The fixed GB machines do fine here. It is hard hunting here. Not the history a lot of areas have. I am mainly a coin hunter and we have to dig a lot of holes to find a piece of silver. I was out all day today with a friend hunting lots where they had demolished old houses. The houses we hunt are usually from 1910 to 1950's . Lots of trash on these lots and I mean lots. Sometimes we are lucky and the house hasn't been torn down yet. I have been playing with a Deus I picked up a few weeks ago and it does well because of the fast recovery speed. Today I took out my MXT with the 4x6 coil and it did great. As far as ID machines go the MXT is really accurate. Our soil is thick clay so the targets are usually 8 inches or less so most detectors work well here. Most of the locals here use a Garrett. They are here local and really support our club with prizes and such.

I think I will keep my eyes open for a used Silver Sabre µMAX or another Shadow X2 (I don't dare use my wife's!!) What are the Silver Sabre uMax worth on the used market? I am not in a hurry as the MXT worked so well today but I still want a light weight beep detector (no display). We both had back surgery this year. My wife's worked. Mine didn't so I need a light machine. That was one of the main reasons for picking up the Deus. There are just too many targets, meaning trash, to use a 9 inch coil on these lots we hunt.

I probably just out to buy a Cibola and get the 5¾" Round Concentric coil for it. How do you think that would do for my kind of hunting? I would really like to find a "well used" one that I could just toss in the pickup bed and not worry how it looks.

Thanks again,

Harold

Stoof-tabsallday said:
I modded my cibola with ground balance and noticed something about the disc.
With the cibola the certer area of the disc circuit is more spread out. Meaning the area between nickel and zinc and probably a little above and below them is wider on the dial then my vaquero. I'm including a picture showing yellow lines where nickel and zinc disc out on both. You'll notice the cibola is speed apart more. I'm not sure if this info helps, but just letting you know what I found as far as differences.

Thanks for the pictures. That is really helpful. Do you have yours modded to the high tone? I wonder if there is any info around on how to do it. It can be that hard assuming it's in the hardware like the value of a resister.

From what I read Tesoro can do it for a fee so that's probably the way to go. I am pretty sure I want one that way.

Harold

Harold,

For the coil question, yes the widescan is the DD design, whereas the concentric coil is the standard coil. I am only three hours away from you (Shreveport/Stationed at Barksdale AFB), and if your soil is sort of like mine (alluvial silt from the Red River) or less mineralized, then you won't need the DD coil to counteract the ground mineralization. Usually the red clay soil is the problem for the concentric coils. I was metal detecting around the Mansfield Civil War battlefield with my Vaquero w/ 9x8 concentric coil, and found a dropped three ringer about 12" in the ground.

txop said:
BTW, what is the difference in the Widescan vs. the Concentric coil? Is the Widescan a DD design?
Yes, Tesoro uses the term WideScan which simply means it is a Double-D design. The reasoning is that the coil might 'scan' a 'wider' front-to-rear path on a side-to-side weep, but that's really only effective in the upper ±3" range, and only when the 'path' is in a straight side-to-side sweep line.

Monte

It is a good and versatile Tesoro and very capable for a lot of hunting applications. If you are hunting in a brushy or trashier environment, you might want to consider adding the thin-profile 6" Concentric coil to your set-up.

Monte

I have a MXT that I love when I want ID. I also have a Tejon that I love as well which is much lighter. I've tried several different detectors and keep coming back to these two.

John (Ma) said:
I have a MXT that I love when I want ID. I also have a Tejon that I love as well which is much lighter. I've tried several different detectors and keep coming back to these two.

I also carry an MXT with me when I go hunting. I have the 4x6 eclipse coil on it for trashy areas. It's not as deep as some detector but it's ID is dead on for coin targets. I have been looking at the Tejon because of the dual discrimation but still undecided. Have to study it a bit more.