Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Quick little hunt - Nice Indian Head

coinnut

Went out on Sunday with my friend Dan and we found three cellar holes. Two were new ones to us, but unfortunately were not new to other people:thumbdown: They were all hit very hard. My friend managed a bunch of buttons and other relics, but no coins. I got a lot less targets but got a nice Indian head. The soil was so sandy that the Indian survived in really great shape. Unusual around my parts. Now we know why these sites were hit so hard. I can only imagine the large cents, colonials and Indians that come out of this place, all in great shape. Wish I was first.:blowup: But a fun and relaxing time out.

Thats indian head is in great shape, Nice find!

I tried real hard to make an "L" appear, but no luck. I might just glue one on:rofl:. Did you see the price of an "L" one??? That would have been nice. But I'm happy with this one.

on mine i tried to etch one in with my peering eye but i think i burst a blood vessel,:rofl:
the glue job sound easier,do you have any extra L's:rofl:
nice indian coinnut

Great coin.
When I MD a cellar hole there seems to be so much debris that has fallen in. Do you dig out some of the debris? I have MD'ed a few log cabin cellar holes and haven't done so well.

I usually don't detect the inside, but once. They were usually used as trash dumps by the nearest neighbor. I do mostly the yard areas.

coinnut said:
I usually don't detect the inside, but once. They were usually used as trash dumps by the nearest neighbor. I do mostly the yard areas.

The ones I have found are way out in the woods. They areas are clean from modern trash. Of course all the iron and trash from the original site can be overwhelming.
One place is a two mile walk. It was a two room log cabin with a cellar under one room. A lot of the field stones has fallen into the cellar part. I was wondering if it would be worth while to try to move the stones. Pieces of the old iron stove are everywhere. The only thing I got from there were two brass tags.

It seems to have been hunted already, so the only virgin part of that site would be inside the cellar hole. I have dug one completely and two others partially. It's a LOT of work and the rewards range from almost nothing (2 buttons) to 4 coins (small colonial cache). If it has burned and the original occupants did not sift through it, then EVERYTHING they had would still be there. But most times, people sifted (by hand) through the remains for any valuable metal and sentimental items. If you got the time, the energy, I would do it. My only advice is to find the kitchen and start by the fireplace. For some reason I do better there. PM me if you want to talk further. HH