Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Quick Mask

daddyflea

Please explain the use of this screen

Quick Mask is one of the best features on this detector. Its an alternate pattern that can be toggled to quickly from the main discrm. pattern plain and simple.

I typically leave it wide open with no discrim. When i use a tight discrim. pattern with iffy, intermittent make-no-sense IDs, i switch to Quick Mask to gain more target clues.

Deep, really deep coins or coins with nearby junk usually don't fall in the those well published 'famous' coin categories.
By switching over to Quick Mask with open pattern i can see the whole picture. In Quick Mask, you can also set discrimination on both the X,Y axis's easily by using the arrows while in Quick Mask. Its a useful versatile feature.

"I typically leave it wide open with no discrim. When i use a tight discrim. pattern with iffy, intermittent make-no-sense IDs, i switch to Quick Mask to gain more target clues. "

I do the exact same on my Explorer2,ironsight is where I got the info from to do it...with all the chopped sounds of the machine deciding whether to reject a target or not,it can get a bit confusing as to what's going on under the coil. With QM on and clear you hear EVERYTHING come and go. It didn't take me long to HATE discrimination. If the phones are too "busy" with targets you can slow down the sweep or use a smaller coil,or both. It is possible to swing TOO slow so don't do that...:crazy:
Looking back at posts from these well known guys like ironsight will also be a quantum leap in the right direction....

Kevin

I tried running QM on the beach. I started getting more and louder tones. The screaming 47-49 turned out to be nails. I started watching the cursor in addition to the tones and noticed the cursor for the nails were in the lower right quadrant of the screen. Where should the good targets show on the open screen? Is it reasonable to run in QM on the beach?

What kind of beach are you hunting there Grunter?? I don't beach hunt,live nowhere near any beaches. I know guys who do,but they always mention OTHER types of trash,not nails! I can see why they might be there though,being as some boats are wooden....washed up crates...etc.....OK,so...the machine operates no differently in the Quick Mask screen than the Discrimination screen. The difference between the two is that on the Discrimination screen you can FINE TUNE the disc patterns into all those weird shapes and patterns,accepting nickels,discing out this,accepting that....the QM screen is a GROSS adjustment,a big wiper up and down and another side to side. Usually guys will have one or the other completely clear,a clear screen accepts all targets and when sweeping an iffy signal it may be necessary to have NO discrimination so as to be able to hear the "complete picture" of what's around your iffy target. They are two Discrimination screens, and you can toggle back and forth between the two,one is for gross disc,the other for fine disc. When you are operating in one,the other is non functional until you switch back to it.
I don't know how long you've had your machine or been beach hunting but from what I do know,most beach hunters run NO disc. The small gold stuff reads like foil and the big silver stuff reads like HIGH SILVER! The guys I know dig anything conductive on a beach,meaning anything BUT iron. Generally speaking,something WAY lower right is not going to be what you're looking for. It's also where bottle caps live...not the aluminum twist ones. If you're looking for where targets appear on your screen,or VDI numbers,just Google search "etrac VDI chart". That'll get you going with the numbers at least and you can cross check them in the Smartfind screen when you're out hunting.
Best of luck...

Thanks IDXMonster that is some good info. I'm hunting beaches in the MB area and using Beach mode with manual sensitivity,high trash and difficult ground. I am leaving the QM completely open. I suspect the nails are from hurricane damaged housing and piers rather than boats. I've found a few silver items and one gold since I've been hunting this month. I've also dug about 500 pop tops and about as many beer bottle caps as well as other assorted junk. I went on a moonlit hunt last night from 10 p.m. until 1 a.m on a terribly sanded in beach and found many more pull tabs,bottle caps, 3 pennies. I walked approx. 3 miles of beach and didn't see another person, it was nice.

Grunter,to add a bit and correct myself...it does appear there is a bit more "adjustability" in the Quick Mask screen than on my Explorer,but the idea is the same. Two screens to toggle between if needed....