Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

quick query.....XP Deus vs Etrac

sunraysux

...so i was teetering between an XP Deus and the Etrac for about a month....
was studying chat rooms and youtube....reading and allowing my instincts to lead me to the right decision for me
decided on the Etrac because it just felt like the right move and the right machine for me.....
Just curious as to the feelings of the forum regulars and visitors....and please don't read into the title of this thread too deeply
i am not pitting one fan base against the other...or one machine against the other
merely interested in feedback and thoughts and learned opinions from folks that own both...or like me, decided to Etrac it versus XP it...maybe you hunt with XP Deus devotees or from other source, you have a viable opinion on this subject
i made my choice and i am cool with that despite the growing and learning struggles i am having....i just am curious as the everyone's thoughts on the NET NET NET differences and similarities and overall value equation of the 2 machines.....THX!!!

If you're looking for a comparison, would be better to post this under the Detecting Forum, where comparisons between detectors/models/brands are done. This might get moved.

You didn't mention where you go detecting or what your 'targets' are; Jewelry, Coins, Relics, Gold Nuggets or beaches, parks, battlefields, old ghost towns, tot lots, and so forth.

I used an Explorer XS for 10 years and an e-trac for 5+. Spent most of my time coinshooting the yards of old homes. If you are doing something similar; excellent choice. :thumbup:

Rich (Utah)

I did the same thought about both deterctors I bought a used Etrac I love the machine my finds have been pretty incredible with it,
Im still thinking of getting a deus for a backup though but I cant be happier with the Etrac.
It would be nice to hear from someone who owns both.
I do a lot of beach hunting saltwater and Etrac is a great machine on the beach!

ya they are both great at what they are for. Etrac for coins and Deus for relics. It truly depends on what your hunting style is, type of ground, locations you hunt, etc.
Gary from Oregon

Both are top of the shelf machines but with different characteristics.

The E-Trac is a monster on those deep copper and silver coins as far as being able to convey the ID back to the user. The Deus is just as deep but, in my opinion, is not as easy to sport or hear that deep squeaker. If I had to chose only one it would be the Deus simple because my experience had been it is more versatile, whereas the E-Trac does one thing very good. Don't get me wrong the E-Trac can be used for all types of hunting, but its main strength is that ability to tell the user when the coil is over a deep copper or silver.

Deus for hunting non-ferrous targets at sites littered with ferrous trash. Etrac for hunting non-ferrous targets at sites littered with non-ferrous trash. Deus greatest strength is target separation. Etrac's greatest strength is target ID, particularly on the deep ones.

Had an etrac a few years back, easy to get on with and a nice machine if you don't have an abundance of iron, i found it slow to hunt with and limited in depth on pasture, but my grounds tough.

Personally i wouldn't buy it a second time, there's other detectors that go deeper, TID just as well, separate, don't null in iron etc for far less money, really depends on what and where you hunt.

What if you are hunting places where you are looking for coins and jewelry, most all targets are notariously 6 inches deep or less, and rusty nails are semi common. Add to this, it's sort of a competition with other tectors and it's a relatively small venue due to limited hunt time. Wouldn't the Etrac then be out classed against the Deus?

5900_XL-1 said:
What if you are hunting places where you are looking for coins and jewelry, most all targets are notariously 6 inches deep or less, and rusty nails are semi common. Add to this, it's sort of a competition with other tectors and it's a relatively small venue due to limited hunt time. Wouldn't the Etrac then be out classed against the Deus?

At first examination this may be true but overlooks the undervalued asset of the etrac ,,,,it's broad and varied selection of search coils that transform it into a surprisingly dynamic and versatile detector. In the scenario you present , the etrac with a 5 x 10 NEL or SEF coil becomes a much quicker machine with great depth and greater ID than the Deus whose Achille's heel continues to be modern trash even with the V4 update. The "round sound" remains "round" with solid aluminum whereas the etrac has the tonal ability to reliably eliminate much of that trash.

Recovery speed is great but separation of targets does not always trump the separation of trash and treasure.:thumbup:

5900_XL-1 said:

In this situation myself I'd prefer the Deus. While with the smaller coins the E-Trac can do a great job, I think the Deus is more suited to the conditions you described. Anyway I feel I would do better with the Deus. I've been swinging the E-Trac around 8 years and the Deus close to 6 years.

5900_XL-1 said:

Another advantage of the etrac in a small venue with other detectors is how the etrac affects other units.:) I can't get within 10' of my buddies etrac when using the Deus without having to search for a different frequency ,,,,,, if one will work. We occasionally during a club hunt will get about 10' apart with our etracs and clear a swath through the other detectors and chuckle as everyone has to stop and re-adjust their detectors unless they're using a Minelab. 4 khz on a Deus is useless if an etrac is close by.:shocked:

sprchng said:
5900_XL-1 said:

Another advantage of the etrac in a small venue with other detectors is how the etrac affects other units.:) I can't get within 10' of my buddies etrac when using the Deus without having to search for a different frequency ,,,,,, if one will work. We occasionally during a club hunt will get about 10' apart with our etracs and clear a swath through the other detectors and chuckle as everyone has to stop and re-adjust their detectors unless they're using a Minelab. 4 khz on a Deus is useless if an etrac is close by.:shocked:

nothing like barging through hey :buds:

AJ

Made the same decision and purchased a Etrac a few weeks ago. If I had water and dense forest I may have chosen the Dues. But the Etrac is performing superbly. I own a F75 and a AT Pro and they all do some things well. I want those old coins. But just practicing now in parks. I am like a kid at christmas, but new detectors are fun. The F75 and AT Pro are old machines now and Dues is new. I suspect the Etrac is also old and we are using last years detectors. But I am happy with my detectors. Comparing the two detectors is a hard one. The only thing they have in common is they are not made in the USA.

sprchng said:
5900_XL-1 said:

Thats a good point my brother dad and I all have etracs and hunt together all the time never a problem.