Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

R6 T2 is in the house!

Ed in SoDak

A busy day! While the T2 arrived back today, my priorities were upgrading my computer so I could run my new tax software. I did unpack the T2 and buzzed through a quick rundown of the new modes, but then it was back to business.

That done, I checked out the Findmall chatroom, as my computer upgrade finally runs flashchat. Man, text entry took forever to catch up with my typing, but it was fun. It cut into my testing time, but I can't do much more than air tests till Sunday anyway.

So, onto the report, quick and dirty, such as it is.

First off, I got a new coil and calibration. That was my reason for returning the unit. It evidently got to the factory just in time to be one of the first to get the upgrade. Seems all better in the coil department. A nice letter from Tek detailed what all they did and stated my unit was tested successfully several times before packing it up. I'd sent no batteries, but 4 used ones were in the box with it, taped together. It also came with a new warranty sheet. It arrived at Tek last Friday, and was back in my hands today, that's service!! Jeff stood behind me all the way on the decision to upgrade, it's cost me nothing other than shipping it to Tek and that one week wait. Thanks, Jeff!

Every new item stated in the revision list is on my machine. Pinpoint sensitivity is cool, I think that will help a lot in crowded target areas. I did not check it out very much tonight, but saw that it adjusted as advertised.

The new dP tone mode is wild! I can tell it will take a little field time to learn all those signals, but it oughta be great to help nailing specific targets by their audio signature. At first, all those individual tones are gonna confuse you, especially if it's a coin that bounces a point or two. But once you got it, I think you'll like it!

I'd recommend checking a target in the mode you're used to, then switching over to dP to see how they compare.

I swung air tests till my arm cramped. I had a washer, rusty bottlecap, rusty belt buckle, 22 casing, nuggets, pulltab, clad and silver coins, a large cent, a nut, a brass bushing. I can't get too specific on these crude tests, but coins and good targets generally kept a more stable tone while trash really jumped about. Depth and swing all played a part in the air test, as my arm was not staying at all uniform in my swings. That would be more constant in the field. I tested each in 3, 3b, 4 and dP modes in order to hear what differences there were between them.

You will find many detected items shifting in pitch when you move from a lower tone mode to dP, since the dP mode is tied to the actual conductivity/ID, while the other modes "group" targets into fewer specific tones. The signal is also derived a little more like the 1 and 2 modes, described as "continuous sampling."

I think if you do your IDs with short, slow sweeps, keeping the target under the center portion of the coil, you'll see more stable ID on stuff. If you move the coil fast, you'll hear short blips of sound. If you slow way down, you'll catch a longer-holding tone. Things that signal on the edges of the coil as well as center will settle down to a single tone if you can keep the target under the sweet spot in the center. Sweep kinda like warming up for a short golf putt.

3b is definitely different from modes 3 and 4 now. If you like a more consistent tone from things, you may still use these modes more for coinshooting than dP, at least at first.

I found I could play an interesting tune in dP mode by waving my keyrings about under the coil. You'll just have to hear this mode for yourself. I have never run the old Teknetics Mark 1, so can't state how it might compare.

The other tone modes remained exactly as they were. As did the basic shell, it has the same battery compartment, etc., so none of the minor "hardware" issues was changed. Even the trigger switch fastener that I took off from the inside of the case and put onto the outside so it was doubled, was just as I had left it.

I can't really do depth tests right here, since my computer still makes it act up a bit. The room is full of electronics and metal, plus the fusepanel here's too, so I had sensitivity lowered to 40 or so. However, it seemed I was able to quiet it down much more in this location than before, that I was able to do these air tests with no falsing at all. Before, it would have falsed in here with sens at 40.

I don't know if the frequency shift was adjusted or if it's my new coil, or what. Adjusting the freq's, it seemed more "shifty," that is, there is a bigger change in interference rejection between steps than before. Some freq's were much noisier than I recall, while others seemed very quiet. More tests in the field required. So far, looks good.

Another BIG change is the manual. It's two pages longer, but it's not just tacked on the end. The whole thing has been gone through and added onto and wordings changed. All the new features are described, as well as the previously "undocumented" features. It is now also cross-referenced, to help take you to a related topic on another page.

Ground balance instruction is much expanded, a full page on pinpointing, as well as more and better tips, plus of course the new features and several of the previous options are more fully delved into and explained.

Looks like Sunday will be my first chance for a more serious checkout "in the dirt." Maybe I can swing some tomorrow, but it won't be enough to qualify for a report.

It's not a wholly "new" machine, but you'll sure find plenty of additional useful functions. Thus far, I see no losses, only gains.

-Ed

Sounds great Ed. I was gonna' pass on the upgrade, but after reading your post, I'm rethinking it. Let us know how it does in the field.

Wolf

I told them to do mine before yours, but since I haven't gotten mine back yet, I guess they listen about as well as my ex! haha
I like what you're reporting and I also think they have done this mod. right-which is awesome and speaks to the quality at Tek. and the support we are getting. I still think this machine is well thought-out and developed and with the way they handled this-only boosts my confidence. Good Job BH/Tek engineers! Add a dealer like Jeff and his support-I just don't know how it could get any better! Can't wait to get it back home! If they don't return it soon you'll see all kinds of posts from me since I'm so bored........fair warning! Sorry! John

Thanks for the comments!

I know I said I wouldn't report today, but on every hunt, ya learn something! Actually, I didn't think we'd get the chance, but Sandy offered, so why not!

We got in a small hunt at two schoolyards in the "big city." Probably only an hour and a half total. One used to be woodchips, these were well-rotted. Over it was some gravel with hot rocks. I was getting hot rock IDs, which kinda surprised me. GB was typically in the high 70's. Very few signals of any kind except foil. After digging two that read correctly, I didn't disc them out, but simply ignored them. Same for Sandy in different areas, lots of foil and not much else. I pulled up a rusty, open safety pin and other sharp trash and wires, so we did our civic duty.

Once past the top layers, we were hitting well-packed red gravel that was just not worth it to dig dime, even quarter signals. I was totally skipping several 11-16" signals that didn't even give an ID.

Pinpoint worked well, giving me a 1" depth on surface stuff. Dang, I plumb forgot to try the pinpoint sensitivity! I was digging one particular dime that read near surface, but couldn't be found with my handheld pinpointer. <slaps head> I was about to holler for Sandy to come over with her Time Ranger and help me out, but she had already given up and headed back to the car.

Recovered finds for me, a whopping 11c, Sandy got skunked with her Time Ranger. I checked a couple spots she had hit and found nothing. In my spots, I know I passed on good targets after barely digging, just because of the effort. The next playground was even harder packed and much smaller. Didn't take long to give up here also.

I didn't use the new dP mode today. I wanted to stay with settings I was used to and get refamiliarized, see if the detector itself seemed any different before venturing into wholly new territory.

There were power lines all over, but interference was less than I'd seen at my previous test spots. There were a few "hot spots," like between two buldings. I found it was much easier to get rid of, using the frequency adjustment. I was running about 78-80 for sensitivity, disc about 34. Unless the freq. adjust itself was changed, I gotta attribute this quieter performance to my new coil, a better calibration, or what. More on this issue tomorrow when I hit my test spots.

I think that hot rock gravel hurt us a bit today, at least it made a lot of nuisance targets I learned to ignore. Plus, I think these places must see many more th'ers than we're used to sharing a spot with. I saw what looked like dig holes here and there. The general lack of any kind of signal other than trash, deep targets or recent drops tended to bear this out.

Still, all in all, it was a good first run and I saw some apparent improvements in my interference issue. While it was a new site with very different conditions, the T2 behaved much as I had become accustomed to, suggesting my "old familiar" modes had not been changed.

-Ed

Thanks for the update and keep us posted good neighbor as your expertise is so appreciated by the Tek Community at large!

I know what the old Teks sounded like and they made metal detecting much more exciting than any other detector I've ever run!

Mine should be here in about a week maybe by friday....that would be great!
:nopity:

Sounds like Teknetics is right up to par with what we expect out of them.

KCK