Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Racer 2 backlight question

hrefab

According to the manual if you set the backlight on C1-5 it will stay on all the time. However, mine goes off after a short time unless it sees a target which is the exact same behavior I see when I set it to 1-5.. Again, I'm new to the machine so I ask just to be clear on the functions. At night, I like my backlight on continuously and am not worried about the small battery penalty for doing so.

That's not the way it's supposed to work. My R2 backlight stays on always when in the "constant" mode and in the non-constant mode it comes on only when it sees a target (not really a fan of the mode where the light comes on when it hits a target). I still wish they'd used a red light on the R2, one of my only complaints on it really.

hrefab said:
According to the manual if you set the backlight on C1-5 it will stay on all the time. However, mine goes off after a short time unless it sees a target which is the exact same behavior I see when I set it to 1-5.. Again, I'm new to the machine so I ask just to be clear on the functions. At night, I like my backlight on continuously and am not worried about the small battery penalty for doing so.
You are correct that a setting of C1 thru C5 will [size=small](or should)[/size] remain on continuously at the selected intensity/brightness level [size=small](the 1-to-5 part of the selection)[/size], but remember, once you select the Constant-On setting you must go to the SA setting and SAVE that to the search program.

I have already dealt with some people who select C1-to-C5 but don't SAVE the setting so it won't work when turned back on. Double-check and confirm you have it 'saved' at turn-on.

Personally, I like it only to 'flash' on with detection signal, unless it is very dark and night. Then I like Constant On, but with a lower intensity level. My momentary On setting preference is C5, and at nighttime with the Racer 2 or Gold Racer I like C1 or C2.

Monte

Thanks Monte. I'll double check that I've done that. I was just surprised that it wasn't staying on continuously... Perhaps if I save it it will. If not, then I'll report back.

Cal_Cobra I think that if they used a red light (I assume you're talking about the built in flashlight) you'd have to have a much stronger LED (like a Cree) in order to get any useful illumination. At first I thought that the built in flashlight was kind of weak, but in the dark, as you become more night acclimated, it's quite usable without destroying your night vision. Of course, the screen display, unless you're at a very low level is going to reduce your night vision significantly, but we're not stargazing here, we're looking for buried targets!

hrefab said:
Cal_Cobra I think that if they used a red light (I assume you're talking about the built in flashlight) you'd have to have a much stronger LED (like a Cree) in order to get any useful illumination. At first I thought that the built in flashlight was kind of weak, but in the dark, as you become more night acclimated, it's quite usable without destroying your night vision. Of course, the screen display, unless you're at a very low level is going to reduce your night vision significantly, but we're not stargazing here, we're looking for buried targets!

No I mean a red LED backlit LCD screen like some of the First Texas machines are using. It's much easier on the eyes, as when detecting at night in the dark, the white backlit LCD screen not only can be blinding (even at the lowest level if there's not some form of ambient light source, such as a partial-full moon, etc), but it also takes your eyes time to adjust after looking at the screen to the terrain. The RED LED backlit LCD screen doesn't present those issues. I guess that's why the military uses such instruments.

Cal_Cobra said:
hrefab said:

No I mean a red LED backlit LCD screen like some of the First Texas machines are using. It's much easier on the eyes, as when detecting at night in the dark, the white backlit LCD screen not only can be blinding (even at the lowest level if there's not some form of ambient light source, such as a partial-full moon, etc), but it also takes your eyes time to adjust after looking at the screen to the terrain. The RED LED backlit LCD screen doesn't present those issues. I guess that's why the military uses such instruments.

totally agree the red light is 1000 times better and I know from experience and I do hunt a lot at night and the F19 is the bizz with the red light .

AJ

Pick up a REVOLT Black Diamond headlamp. You can set that for dual red led operation (built in) that are quite bright. Lots of features and lightweight.

hrefab said:
Pick up a REVOLT Black Diamond headlamp. You can set that for dual red led operation (built in) that are quite bright. Lots of features and lightweight.

Looks like a nice headlamp. I bought an LED headlamp a few years ago made by Energizer (likely really made by someone else with Energizer's name on it?), it has something like 5-6 modes on it, including a couple of modes with red LED's. It works great (even survived a trip through the washer), but I'd rather have the built in Racer display with the red LED.