Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Racer 2 impresses

semtav

Picked up my Racer 2 from the PO this evening so I thought I'd go test it in a little spot that is full of bottle caps. I've found quite a few silver dimes and wheats here, but had finally run out of good signals with my MXT All Pro with the standard coil on it. Thought it would be a good place to test out the Racer, because I bought it specifically to hunt trashy areas. Put the 5" coil on it, and just turned it on and put it in the two tone mode. Didn't do anything else to it. It sniffed out a wheat penny amongst the other signals in about 5 minutes time. Just impressed that it could do that with the junk that was there. I purposely hadn't dug up all the bottle caps specifically for this reason. I can't say the MXT wouldn't have found it with a smaller coil, but the MXT loves bottle caps so its been hard to distinguish between them and coins at times. Not so with the Racer, totally different sound,

Try this around those pesky bottle caps.
Small Coil
Three Tone
Gain 50
ID Filter 13
Tone Breaks 29 & 75
Tones 10 hz, 35 hz, 70 hz
Iron volume 0

You're right about the bottle caps and coins sounding different. Just place one of each about 6 inches apart and swing over them. The bottle caps have a rough or jagged sound as if the detector is seeing the jagged edge of the cap. Coins are smooth and round sounding.

Tom Slick said:
Try this around those pesky bottle caps.
Small Coil
Three Tone
Gain 50
ID Filter 13
Tone Breaks 29 & 75
Tones 10 hz, 35 hz, 70 hz
Iron volume 0

You're right about the bottle caps and coins sounding different. Just place one of each about 6 inches apart and swing over them. The bottle caps have a rough or jagged sound as if the detector is seeing the jagged edge of the cap. Coins are smooth and round sounding.

Thanks Tom, I'll give that a try. Gonna go double check a homestead I hit with the MXT last week. see if I can snoop anything out of the trash.

What about aluminium screw caps Tom, Is their any way you can get a slight difference between a coin and the cap when the vdi is the same. Using the racer2 & the Impact.

Regards Below2doe.

below2doe said:
What about aluminium screw caps Tom, Is their any way you can get a slight difference between a coin and the cap when the vdi is the same. Using the racer2 & the Impact.

Regards Below2doe.
Those are tough, especially when they're deep. IMO they give more of a "blat" sound and ID in the 50s. But I usually end up digging them anyway....

I haven't really tried to eliminate the aluminum screw caps. Like Kapok above, I dig em because many other targets can have the same VDI numbers.