Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Racer 2 Noisy?

TN Mike

Its probably me but man this Racer 2 is noisy. I've come from the Tesoro camp so who knows.. maybe everything is noisy after using a Tesoro lol.. There maybe something wrong here but I've cleaned the coil cover.. Checked the connector.. Ground balanced at factory all metal settings in all modes (except beach which was quieter) and still get erratic pops clicks and just at the edge of detection high tones in open clean pasture. Tonight I even dropped the gain to 45 - 50 and still got the noises... Theres no way this could be considered silent search lol.. unless silence means no threshold tone..

Saw the Gb setting at maybe 45-55, 0 - 1 bar

Any thoughts would be appreciated.. I cant imagine hunting in this noise for much longer.. The recovery on this machine is unreal fast, so maybe i need to send it in? I'd hate for this to just be a glitch.. I pulled a button from next to a 5" iron nail at about 8" the other day.. i was stunned.

This video shows the original racer running quiet next to an air-conditioner... I cant imagine the R2 is much more noisier than the Red Racer... I must have a problem..

[video]https://youtu.be/nhp7xvOfh9U?t=1m11s[/video]

And if you hear the "static" he describes after setting the gain to 95.. that's what I was hearing at 45-50 when I was moving my coil.. almost as if the machine was negative on the ground balance. I checked the ground balance in all metal and the threshold was smooth while pumping the coil.

How does it sound when the coil is held in the air,,in a more rural type environment??
Say Di3,, 99 gain.

Was still noisy out in a field with the coil lifted.. though not a noisy as when sweeping. I was probably 100 yards or more from the nearest house/ power lines.

Checked this in three tone with 70 - 50 - 45 gain all still noisy.

TN Mike said:
Was still noisy out in a field with the coil lifted.. though not a noisy as when sweeping. I was probably 100 yards or more from the nearest house/ power lines.

Checked this in three tone with 70 - 50 - 45 gain all still noisy.

Don't sound right,,sounds like a possible problem.

I would check it in a couple more places,,if it behaves similar or same,,get it fixed.

Double check connection.
If you have other coils, try them.
May be a coil issue.
Contact dilek:
Dilek@noktadetectors.com and explain your issues. They are very good about making things right.

Thanks for the help.

I'll try a couple more areas just to make sure, and the 5" coil. I'm pretty sure the 5" didn't fair much better if I remember correctly, but I didn't try it today so until tomorrow, thanks again for the help.

Sounds like a faulty coil. I had the same issue. The Racer 2 usually runs less noisy on the ground being swept than it does being held in the air.

Also if your ground tracking is on in disc mode it can run erratic. Especially when you set the machine down to dig and the coil isn't pointed at the ground.
Just something I found out with my relic.

My Racer 2 is chattery too. I have the stock coil and am looking to pick up another coil to try to see if that helps. I usually have to keep my gain below 75 before it's comfortable to use. But like the OP, sInce coming over from the Tesoro camp, I have also found other detectors on the noisy side. AT Pro, Teknetics T2 especially. I am getting to know the R2 and find it's an incredibly sensitive machine so don't think I'm hating on it.

2 tone is definitely sparkier than 3 tone.

Well took it out again today on nice dry grass and got mixed results that left me scratching my head.. Wasn't till I came up next to a tree and bumped the coil that I heard a very plain to the ears false that was easily repeatable.. So the question is.. does the 7x11 false when being bumped? Checked rod locks and they are all tight.. the 5" doesn't false at all. So I'm hoping its just a bad coil like Tom said.

Sounds like a bad coil.
Email Dilek:
Dilek@noktadetectors.com
Expain what's going on and she may want you to send her a short video showing what's happening, but she will take care of you.

I came from the world of Minelab Explorers and etracs where there is always a symphony of things going on. In general, I don't think of the Racer 2 as noisy, HOWEVER, it is 'noisier' than my Mojave, which is very SILENT.

Rich -

I took the Racer out again today and its beyond a shadow of a doubt noisy in trash.. It's really my first detector using a notch feature and I can say that though the machine is super fast at separation in iron, it will pop and click on any target that falls within the notch, not displaying a VDI but still making a solid pop or click.. the places I hunt its non-stop popping and on the edge of notching clicks.. can I fault the machine for this? No I cannot.. its notching.

But I do think I have a coil problem.

[video]https://youtu.be/wpaXaqeaOvQ[/video]

Edit: The 5" makes no sound bumping the ground.

Yeah that doesn't look normal.
Ugh now I have to test mine this weekend to ensure it doesn't do this.
I haven't been out with it this year yet, and don't recall it doing this.
Got me worried now.
Dilek will take care of you. I'm sure she is busy so it may take a minute to get back to you but she will.

The sounds you hear there are a constant on hard low trampled grass. The ball parks I'm hunting have muddy walking paths where people trudge in and out by the hundreds every season, leaving a flattened paths of low scrub grass. I hear that sound along with notching pops and clicks from shallow trash. Mind you its a good bit louder with headphones on.. and what I was doing in the video was on soft and thick 3-5" high grass.. bumping the coil on solid ground was having a stronger effect I think. But I wasn't for sure as there was so much trash. I had to find a good field to make the video in.....I'll pass it on to Makro and see what they say..

I'm thinking what you might not understand is these machines see so much more in the ground that other machines just plain don't. Keep in mind you're coming from a machine that is silent all the time until it sees something it likes. That machine is leaving a lot behind trust me. The thing you'll have to do is use your ears, and listen for the good sounds. Two+ years ago when I first got a Turkish machine it took a little while then I realized just how much stuff was in the ground that none of my other machines saw.

Thanks for that Tidbit JFlynn, I'm still learning the Racer2 language and it is good to know what is Normal and what isn't. I appreciate the comments all of you make and it helps smooth out the learning curve. :confused:

Rich -

JFlynn said:
I'm thinking what you might not understand is these machines see so much more in the ground that other machines just plain don't. Keep in mind you're coming from a machine that is silent all the time until it sees something it likes. That machine is leaving a lot behind trust me. The thing you'll have to do is use your ears, and listen for the good sounds. Two+ years ago when I first got a Turkish machine it took a little while then I realized just how much stuff was in the ground that none of my other machines saw.