Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Racer 2 Relic Air and ID Number test

csarebelva

Ok I know how the topic of air testing goes but I was doing this more for myself to determine ID numbers and some depth readings of some of the relics I seek and some of the common trash. Thought I would share it with those of you interested. Now remember this is pretty much turn on stock settings .... two Tone - Gain 70 - ID Filter 10 ..... I like the separation of target ID numbers much better on this unit. The center coil mount and arm angle change seems to be a good change ....i will find out after the first three hours of swinging it. OK here is the video and will be glad to hear any thoughts. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdin5dZfUPw&feature=youtu.be

PS you can add RACER 2 to my signature ;-)

This was on tone break at 10 .... I think I will be setting my tone break to about 23 when I go into the field with the machine. Looking at all the numbers that should eliminate most of the trash IDs .... the only thing that falls in the low range of what i tested was the pewter button and that was at 29. If you want to avoid trash altogether or a majority of it dig ID - 50 and above. Yes there is a chance you may miss some good targets .... but you will dig very few trash targets. Again though you need to feel the machine out in the field so you can get a better feel on depth and target IDs

Great video.. much thanks!

I think I'll set up 3 tone so that IH's read high, tone break at 63 to be on the safe side. Not sure until I test it what freq to use for the mid-tone but def 70 for high.

Tom

Went for a short hunt today in a pretty pounded out spot there is still stuff around but it's spread out.

Anyway found the target IDs were a little lower on a couple of items in the soil. But only by a point or two. But I am sure all soil will read a bit different.

Everything I dug that rang below 50 was trash .... mostly 12 gauge shotgun shells.

Dug a 10" liqueur bottle screw cap that rang in a solid 67 ..... canteen spout was pewter and gave a little rough reading but there was iron laying right beside it but it read a 62.

Most junk I dug with exception of large aluminum I was pretty sure it was junk by the sound and number bounce.

Found a small silver was flat button (cuff size) 10" deep off a soft tone with no ID number until I got the hole open and then it rang a 64. 4 bullets the shot bullet about 4" deep rang at 55 but the dropped 3 ringer at about the same depth rang at 58. Brass buckle (2"x2 ) rang at 72.

Arm seems pretty good with the new balance design.

Hey Freddie, curious to know if you have hunted in all metal yet for the depth. I will probably try it that way for a bit and just dig targets above 50. Any thoughts, suggestions? Thanks, Robert

HanoverDigger said:
Hey Freddie, curious to know if you have hunted in all metal yet for the depth. I will probably try it that way for a bit and just dig targets above 50. Any thoughts, suggestions? Thanks, Robert

No have not tried deep or two tone as of yet ...... hope to hunt in a little garden spot this morning for some coins and such to test out the three tone and maybe the deep mode. Most likely will be to trashy to use all metal.

CSARebel, it seems that the Deep or AM would be the perfect ticket for those open fields when CW relic hunting. Hmmmmmm

Bubba

I plan to start right off in 2-tone as TomD says he sees a 10-15% depth increase using it....
also, coming from a G2+ I'm a big 2-tone fan seeing as that's all there is on that one...

I'm generally not a fan of air tests but you did a good job. I like the way the text displayed the object, depth, and loss of ID depth. I was kind of surprised the coins wouldn't ID deeper on an air test. I guess you're also not in Deep mode so I wonder how big of an impact that has on accurate ID depth in an air test. I wish you had a Nokta Relic to repeat the same test with.

I prefer two tone in relic hunting and only switch to deep mode to confirm small light signals (the deep mode sometimes IDs better when you cant get an ID number on 2 tone). Deep mode would require very slow hunting and unless I am in a really hot spot that has produced a bunch of relics I don't want to hunt that slow.

OK couple of hunts this weekend .... one a 1940s era house garden and the second an open field that was part of a 1700's plantation site but a long way from where the main house was.

1940's house .... After the first few signals in the 30's turned out to be heavy foil I started only digging 50 and above..... still dug some trash in that range but 80% of my digs were good targets 14 clad pennies, 3 wheat pennies, 3 clad dimes and 1 silver dime, one costume jewelry ring. 1 silver hat pin/ broach and the shocker ....1 round ball (was hunting in tree tone most of the time with settings gain 85 - ID filter 10 - )

1700s field - started off digging only 50 and above and dug 2 round balls, one carbine, one button back, one flat button (small) and one large flat button and some other pieces of brass..... only trash was large aluminum and modern bullets/shotgun shells
started digging 30+ later in the day and dug a couple of small rivets and a little more trash. (hunting in two tone gain 70 - ID filter 10 - Tone break 23)

On one note the button back was basically at the surface and actually sounded very broken up but number was good ..... raised the coil just a bit and it sounded better so if you get a broken tone but your pushing overload check the target closely as it may just be very shallow.

I like the machine ..... but still tweaking where I want it ....

I out dug number of good targets both days against the guys that were with me.

Arm got a little tired after back to back days but not terrible. Machine is still a bit chirpy in two tone mode at 70 gain ....

With rain cover on it's easy to hit left or right button on control instead of up or down so watch your settings if you have the cover on and switch modes or settings often.

The ID range is about 6-8" on smaller targets but you can switch to deep mode and slow sweep and get an ID a little deeper

I think I will leave my tone break at about 23 .....this seems to work good for relic hunting