Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Racer 2 Tips and Tricks

One tip I can suggest is don't be afraid to turn the Sensitivity down in order to gain stability. The R2 gets great depth even at lowered Sens settings. Can really quiet theR2 down.

Yes this is true. I have not noticed a huge difference in depth when dropping sensitivity down (and I have tried it on unknown targets) There is very little difference on sensitivity at 85 or 65 except it does cut down on chatter especially if you bump the head on brush or heavy weeds and I believe it actually makes the ID more stable at shallow depth such as 4 inches or less.

It's good to learn that there's no appreciable loss depth by turning down the gain (in most hunting conditions).

Thanks for the tip on gain. I was detecting hunting camps where there are lots of empty .22 shells. Turning down the gain made the junk more manageable and I found a couple of wheat pennies.

Often I hunt with the gain set at 01 when hunting modern trashy areas looking for near surface coins and jewelry The Racer 2 will still get about 4" deep on 01 gain.

I've noted that when I turn the gain down low, I do lose VID on some deeper targets but still get sound.

Here's what I did recently and it worked great.

I setup 3-tone with gain down to 20 and iron audio at 1, to swing a REALLY sparky back yard of an 1800's house.

I'd just listen for mid and high deeper targets with no ID#. When I found one, with the press of one button I switched over to 2-tone where the gain was 80 and used the ID # to help me identify digable targets.

I found a 1778 1/2 reale and an 1832 large cent.

I do the same as Dave_E. I hunt in three tone with the gain set where I want it and then toggle over to two tone mode if I feel a need to check the target. I seldom use the trigger to pinpoint or check depth and I never check the depth when hunting the beach. If it beeps, just scoop. Your eyes are the best discriminator.

OK, I'm going to try this! I got several tones with no VID. I guess I may have passed something good. Thanks for the tip.

I have done the 'switch modes to check a target' routine since '77, just as You and Dave E. suggested. Back then it was hunt in the T R-Disc. mode and switch to the GB'ed All Metal mode. With models like the CoRe & relic, but more easily with the Racer 2 or Gold Racer design [size=small](since you just press and scroll left or right on the control face)[/size] it is very quick and 'simple.'

Now, the 'curious' part of me is this. I read in quite a few posts you make the comments about Beach Hunting. I know where you live and there are no ocean salt-water beaches encountering your state, so is this a case where to get some travel-time in to visit a place such as California or Florida where there is a coastal, salt-water beach, ... OR ... do you have some good river or lake freshwater beaches you get out to?

Just curious.

Monte

Monte, I have a number of relatives that live in So. Cal. and that's where I grew up so yes, I spend a lot of time visiting family there, and I must hunt the beaches whenever I visit. I often meet up with berryman on these beach trips.