Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Racer 5x10 DD coil demo

Keith Southern

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huChqVUmQJE[/video]

Keith

I keep the "OOR" coil mounted on my pre-production Racer, and the 5½X10 on my Production unit. My standard 7X11 and larger 13.[size=small]3[/size]X15.[size=small]5[/size] coils I have on their own rods and all my back-up accessory search coils are in a plastic tote I take along. I do like the 7X11 for more open areas, but I have that size coil mounted on my FORS CoRe and the FORS balances much better with the 7X11 DD coil than the Racer, so that stays on it.

I thank you and others for picking up on my use of the "OOR" description. I started suing that 'Ooooor' reference years ago when Tesoro brought our their 8X9 Concentric coil. Like the little Nokta and Makro coil, the 4.[size=small]7[/size]X5.[size=small]2[/size] DD, is wasn't elliptical as we know it, but is wasn't perfectly round ... it was just 'Out-of-Round' so I called it an OOR [size=small](Ooooor)[/size] coil.

The problem with that coil, however, was that while 'OOR' was a fitting description, I never found that coil to be that impressive compared with their round 8" coil ... or the smaller 7" and 6" Concentric I preferred to use. That opinion changed when I got the Nokta FORS CoRe small coil in hand and put-to-work because that little 'OOR' coil is fantastic! I am particularly glad the Nokta/Makro Detector group opted to use the exact same small-size DD for the Makro Racer. It stays mounted full-time on one of the Racers for a very good reason ... it is the best all-purpose search coil for any trashy site I have ever encountered.

Thank You, also, for using my Nail Board Performance Test with the Racer's in the default ID Filter setting of '10' to let folks hear both the ferrous and non-ferrous audio response. The NBPT came about when encountered in a southern Utah ghost town in '94 using detector models that, for the most part, had a minimum Discrimination that was above iron nail rejection. Because most people do not like to hear or recover ferrous trash, and since many detectors at the time didn't adjust down to a very low, iron-accept Discriminate range, the intent of the NBPT was to set any detector to just barely reject the four iron nails, then place an Indian Head cent in the #1 position and check it in the four directions, from the left and from the right.

Many two-tone option detectors still do not handle the NBPT well, whereas the Nokta FORS CoRe and Makro Racer both can hit 8-out-of-8 with nails rejected, and do it quite quietly without any after-sweep audio 'burps' from the iron nails like the MXT Pro, M6 and many other models do. I usually prefer to hunt with nails rejected at a '23' ID Filter, but if they are not too severe, I leave the detectors at the default setting of '10.' Your video shows just how well these models do in a heavy nail infested site, if we use a slower, methodical sweep and learn to listen for any higher-tone response.

The other good point about your video, and I really hope people will learn from it, is that when you are searching any site that had a lot of iron junk, such as the nails, you CAN NOT try and rely on any 'proper' numeric Target ID read-out. For the greatest success, we have to learn to keep the rejection set low enough to hear the ferrous response AND discern ANY possible non-ferrous target response in such an infested mix of junk.

Finally, your demonstration, again, shows how sensitive these detectors and search coils are to small size, lower-conductive gold nuggets. In the very dense, confined places I will use my nifty 'OOR' coil, but that's one reason I wanted the 5½X10 DD with the solid housing, for sites with short, stiff brush and for gold hunting many typical nugget producing sites.

I really appreciate your videos, and I sure hope others will learn from them as they convey a lot of useful information.

Monte

[size=small]PS: Glad to see you using the Nail Board.[/size] :detecting:

Always appreciate your well done and descriptive videos...

Looking forward to more as you learn and have time on the Racer.. Thanks to you many people shorten the learning curve..

Thank you for showing this video Keith. My fiance enjoyed your "southern accent" as well. I told her that Mr. Keith is NOT available (since she is marrying me on May 23rd) :cheekkiss:

cedarswamp said:
I would like to see a shootout between the F19 and the Racer iron seperation and gold nuggets,,,CEDAR

just watch keith's exact same tests on the F19

Yall are all quite welcome..

Glad you found it to be of some sort of help..

Keith