Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Racer air test data

Hi Bill,.,,Thanks for sharing, I assume this was with the stock coil?.....Does it maintain modulated audio the full range of the sensitivity/gain control?? I'm curious why you would use a zinc penny and not a copper one?.........JJ

Yes it was with the stock coil. I used a zinc just because it was a different alloy. The modulated audio does seem to cover the full sensitivity range. It is not as modulated as some I have used but it does seem to have some modulation.

Looks like Makro did what they said they were going to do with the Di3 (3 tone). Have depth ramp up in DI3 close to DI2 near max sensitivity.

We all know air tests do not simulate in ground. But I do not feel they are completely useless as some do. They do somewhat indicate sensitivity of the unit. My own air test results are nearly identical to the results above. They are impressive in my opinion. And from my test garden I feel this machine has great raw power in soil as well. And Makro has made this machine remarkably simple. It is a true out of the box and go detector. Not for those who like to tweak a lot of setting options or who like bells and whistles. But great for those who like simplicity and raw performance right out of the box.

Most common, earlier style Copper cents have a response more similar to a Clad or even Silver dime so that in fo works okay.

A modern US Zinc cent can actually vary quite a bit, as we know, they tend to read lower and can span a range from Screw Cap up to the anticipated Zinc cent read-out. I like the use of Zinc cent info because most Indian Head cents and many early 'Wheat-back' cents from 1909 to about 1902 will usually fall in the same Target ID range as the Zinc cent. I am not just referring to older coins in the ground, but even coins taken from a collection that have not been buried you can note their Target ID numeric readings as being lower ... even though most were made of the same alloy mix as the better Copper cents from '20 through '80 and part of '81.

As for a Modulated Audio, yes, the Racer has a good Modulated Audio, but keep in mind that as the Gain is increased you will saturate a little greater portion of the functional signal response and reduce some of the Modulation to the greater limit of the detection response. Likewise, reducing the Gain will result in more Modulation over the full span of the responsive signal.

Monte

Does it hold Tone and I.D. to the edge of depth? I think this is often over looked as some detectors drop a Tone and I.D. at extreme depth.

Hi Bill,,,Thanks for the info...It does appear that they shifted the sensitivity range....I assume that the best modulated audio effect is between the 60-70 range...I have not heard any comments on the ergonomics since the s handle tweak but that's a moot point anyways .....JJ

Does it hold Tone and I.D. to the edge of depth? I think this is often over looked as some detectors drop a Tone and I.D. at extreme depth.
\

Tone seems to hold pretty good but id not as good. By that I mean I got some targets that had a fairly decent high tone in DI3 but the detector would not show an ID number. The nickel zone is not so accurate as far as I can tell with my tests. Its not horrible but could be better.

I have not heard any comments on the ergonomics since the s handle tweak but that's a moot point anyways

I have only gotten to use it for a short while but the build quality seems pretty good and it seems comfortable to swing so far. Does not seem nose heavy or anything. The pinpoint button seems heavy duty too adn the display is nice and clear.

Harold said:
Harold,

The Racer, in the 3-Tone mode, does a very good job of holding the proper audio Tone for a great percentage of the depth it can achieve, based upon the Gain setting used. Form my experiences with a wide variety of multi-tone detectors, I would say it is better than most.

There are some detectors that can provide a very repeatable Tone ID for their range, but those are usually detectors that require an ample amount of signal to process and they have used "clipping filters" so as not to produce any weaker or 'fringe' responses. They are all-or-nothing types of designs and will usually not provide the total overall depth of detection of a better quality detector.

Like most detectors, the visual Target ID read-out will probably not be produced, if a target is very weak and/or at the deepest range of the detection. This will be affected by the ground mineral make-up, the presence of any nearby masking target, the detected target's size, shape and orientation to the search coil, and of course the search coil used, the sweep speed and coil presentation for a direct center-of-axis sweep, and other variables.

All that said, I can tell you that I have had very impressive performance from the Racer in a variety of site conditions, and have found it to produce a better Target ID with a more accurate and tighter read-out than many competitive model, to include some that I have favored and relied upon for quite a while. That's part of the reasons why the Nokta FORS CoRe and Makro Racer have moved into my #1 All-Purpose Detector position. The are simple, yet functional and performance is very satisfying.

Monte