Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Racer and AT PRO

Terry in PA

Hi Guy's just wondering if anyone out there has ran the AT PRO and the Racer. I have ran the AT PRO and was just wondering about the comparison between the two detectors. Recovery speed, Unmasking, depth , and target ID at depth. The in's and out's of the racer good and bad compared to the AT Pro. Looks like a nice detector just need more info from people who ran it before I make my mind up to purchase one.

Probably a matter of personal preference. I thought the Race was a fine machine but liked the AT Pro better so I kept it and sold the Racer. I do a lot of tot lot hunting and leave the major coin hunting to my E-Trac. Both felt close to the same as far as weight and balance. I tried the small OOR coil on the Racer and got much better response in trash with my AT Pro and 5x8 coil. Tried the Racer in major rusted iron sites and didn't find anything but rusted iron.

Southwind said:
Probably a matter of personal preference. I thought the Race was a fine machine but liked the AT Pro better so I kept it and sold the Racer. I do a lot of tot lot hunting and leave the major coin hunting to my E-Trac. Both felt close to the same as far as weight and balance. I tried the small OOR coil on the Racer and got much better response in trash with my AT Pro and 5x8 coil. Tried the Racer in major rusted iron sites and didn't find anything but rusted iron.

Hey Southwind did you use the small coil in all that iron.I just bought a Racer for that that purpose.I want to search in heavy iron with small coil and see if I can sniff out the goodies.

Hey Southwind did you use the small coil in all that iron.

Yes but I wasn't impressed with the depth. Works great on shallow goodies but wouldn't hit a 6" coin the AT Pro with the 5x8 would. I thought they were very close on ability.

Southwind said:
Hey Southwind did you use the small coil in all that iron.

Yes but I wasn't impressed with the depth. Works great on shallow goodies but wouldn't hit a 6" coin the AT Pro with the 5x8 would. I thought they were very close on ability.

That surprises me.From what I've read and heard the Racer is supposed to go deep.I read a lot of posts saying that little coil was hitting coins @ 7"+ loud and clear with that small coil.Is your soil very mineralized?Sorry about all the questions just trying to see if the Racer will fit in my arsenal or not.

Surprises me too. I've read just about everything written about the Racer and was about ready to purchase one. I'd like to hear from more people who own both or have used both machines.

How about a video or two?

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q24ohzrwI0&list=PLfJZHEpNVSQU5obUSJ_lKXSuX4vVe1jKG&index=12[/video]

Racer and AT Pro

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xgv1W7qLYLs&index=3&list=PLfJZHEpNVSQU5obUSJ_lKXSuX4vVe1jKG[/video]

RichW said:
Surprises me too. I've read just about everything written about the Racer and was about ready to purchase one. I'd like to hear from more people who own both or have used both machines.

I think the new Impact coming out is going to be a game changer.We will have to wait and see.

Southwind said:
How about a video or two?

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q24ohzrwI0&list=PLfJZHEpNVSQU5obUSJ_lKXSuX4vVe1jKG&index=12[/video]

Well the small coil on the Racer was definitely missing that 8" coin.I guess I'll have to play with the settings in my test garden and see if I can get it to punch deeper.My CZ's hits 8" coins in my test bed with the 5" coil.I've also dug many a deep silver with my CZ's and that small coil.In fact just the other day in my backyard I pulled out a 46 Rosie with my CZ-6a surrounded by 5 old cut nails.It just goes to show that 20+ year old technology still holds its own out in the field.Thanks for the vid and info Southwind.

Yea CZ's still set the bar very high. If Fisher ever combined cz&f75 it would be freaking awesome.:fisher:

I have pretty nasty soil here in the Ozarks, and the racer handles this soil better than my ATPro did.

supertraq said:
Yea CZ's still set the bar very high. If Fisher ever combined cz&f75 it would be freaking awesome.:fisher:

The detectors today from what I've seen,used and have are still not surpassing the CZ's in depth.Trust me I've compared every machine I own on every setting their is and they are still not hitting deeper than my trusty CZ's.Dave Johnson created an absolute monster back in the early 90's.The CZ's were way ahead of their time and no one can convince me other wise.Their are undoubtedly detectors with faster recovery speed but show me a detector thats as easy to use and goes deeper than the CZ and I'll buy it!

gotta remember some people are well lets say one eyed around here, get a free bunch of detectors cant really say bad things about them :poke:

but as always testing them yourself is the best test there is, if I don't like them then off they go, makros don't ID like a fisher or minelab on coins they are made for the European market.

I bought a gold racer for gold , did some short testing on coins and well its not what I would pick to use on coins and rightly so its a gold detector , but I think they lump a lot of targets in the higer range zinc and up in to a small window, so not made for coin cherry picking that's for sure !!

mine will hit gold fields and parks after I have cleaned them out with Tesoro's and Fisher to see if I can pluck a chain or 4 out. ID is not so flash it sure is no F19 for accurate coin ID ing so in that regard they have some work to do to really make a big dint in the US market.

AJ

I will add on the gold racer 1st thing I noticed was with the 10 x 5.5 it kept falling over when sat on the ground and its a pet dislike of mine and I didn't like the electronics being on the ground either even with the cover, the sound between low tone and high didn't seem far enough apart for me but that's something I will learn, I took it to the back yard which I didn't think I would find anything been over it with every detector I have, someone must have had a nail convention in there plenty of nails ! so I got out of there a few rip tabs one in the hole with a nail, some old can slaw type rubbish aluminium.

so yes it has some flaws but for what I want it for so far it seems the goods, one flaw fixed as you can see on the Makro forum, the sound one I will get used too, and use the detector for its intended purpose , so all in all a good machine for the price.

I guess the red racer uses similar electronics so don't expect great ID but seems like its good in iron (nails) I had no use for the red racer but the gold one got my attention so testing will get done soon.

so yeah we all want these machines for different things but my 1st impressions are its not really an ID machine like a Fisher , but a dig everything good in iron machine, and that's why I wanted a high frequency gold hunter to find gold. and for the price and features it had to worth a try :biggrin:

I paid for my detector so I have no one to impress I just want what works.

so time will tell but 1st impressions other than the few dislikes mentioned are good.

hope you enjoy yours!!

AJ

Have both, use both. AT pro with the 5x8 is something special, deeper than the 5" oor on the racer. Both have great audio, and if you like the AT then you'll love the racer three tone. The racer is a little quicker feeling. If you like to hike the the racer will break down and setup fast. For me the AT stays in one piece, to much of a hassle to reassemble. For the park I prefer the racer and 5"; fast ,accurate ,id locks on.
82 is a zinc penny and if you have a good pair of headphones then you won't dig too many screwcaps. Thought I would mention that because some people will bring i up. When I empty my find pouch at the end of the day with the racer there is hardly any trash! And a lot of pennies!
Like said the AT pro and 5x8 is something special, seems to be highly praised, at the same time underrated and dismissed by some. The racer seems to fall in the same category.