Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Racer...bad coil?

KyJoe

Seems like several other people are posting the same coil overload at 70 gain on the 7 by 11 coil. Small coil is fine on mine though. If anyone comes up with more info maybe we can post it here. I'm going to send an e-mail to Makro with my coil S# along with a description of what it's doing and see what they say.

On my Racer it seems associated with EMI because at some locations away from power lines I can run the gain higher.

I started hunting 10 feet from a power pole that has 20 wires going off the top in different directions. EMI was so bad I had to drop the gain down to 40. The farther I got from that pole, the higher I could adjust the gain. 40 feet away, I could crank it up to 85, and it ran fine. The Racer is a powerful machine!

When you were close to the pole was it just chattering or giving the "saturation" signal? Mine goes into overload at exactly 70, but at 69 it's fine, no chatter even.

I have used only minelabs in the past. I am not as used to this type of detector. I hit one of my old spots first couple times out. Shouldn't be any emi issues in the area that I am aware of. The racer seems to hit targets well and I like the machine. No overload issues. Running pretty much stock settings. 2 tone, 70 gain, disc 25. I do 3 ground balances no tracking. Very chatty but area is an old yard and a bit trashy. Not being used to the machine I thought at first I had a coil problem with constant chatter. But now thinking this type of machine just runs hot and you need to learn to ignore the chatter and just focus on the crisp short solid tones? Can anyone comment if all the chatter I mentioned is normal?

Joe, Mine was chattering , pulsing. The further I got away from the pole, the less the chattering was. WJS is having the same problem as you, with noise over 70.
I will keep an eye on his posts at Toms forum to see his results.

try a one gain,

The "chatter" you refer to ?may be? A combo of coke and trash, rust that has decomposed now and is part of the physical make up of the soil.

Tip: reduce Sensitivity and work in Three Tone and ground balance only on a clean patch IF one can be found.
You might try a smaller coil also and do the same things I'm suggesting here.

Just thought I'd pitch in on this. Last last was my first time out with the Racer. I too had a very chatty experience. Really, just constant beeping. I could only get it to be somewhat stable with a gain at 30, and target ID up to 35. Even then it was still eratically beeping. I also notice it really got chatty when I used my pin pointer. Tried all 5 frequencies with same results.
May need to send it in, I may have got a dud.