Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Racer Fans

Terry in PA

I read in another forum that the racer in 3 tone lost depth over the 2 tone mode. Was this issue ever resolved ?

there are different ways to describe detector designs and performance. With both of these brands, and with all the models I own and use, I have been and am very satisfied with their performance.

Terry in PA said:
I read in another forum that the racer in 3 tone lost depth over the 2 tone mode. Was this issue ever resolved ?
I would not say the Racer, or my FORS CoRe, loses depth in the 3-Tone Discriminate mode. By design, each of the four search modes [size=small](All Metal, 2-Tone, 3-Tone and Beach)[/size] have their full function abilities controlled with the Gain/Sensitivity control within their circuitry design. There is nothing in the Owner's Manual that suggests the All Metal or Beach or 3-Tone modes have a 'reduced' level of performance over the 2-Tone mode. Instead, by design, the 2-Tone mode simply provides improved depth of detection. Note the following taken from the Racer's Owner Manual:

"Discrimination Modes
Two Tone Mode

It is the deepest mode among the discrimination modes.
It produces good results particularly on clean sites
which do not contain waste metal.
"​

The 3-Tone Discriminate mode, which I use quite often in trashier sites, has the more "processed" three audio tones, while the 2-Tone Disc. mode doesn't have a configured tone which requires a certain amount of signal in order to process. Instead, the 2-Tone mode features more of a pure audio that can let us hear even a slight or weaker audio response, and it also has the added benefit of a VCO audio enhancement that comes to life when a target is larger and/or closer to the search coil with an increased pitch as well as increased volume.

As it stated, "it produces good results particularly on clean sites which do not contain waste metal" where there would be less good-target masking and where improved depth is achievable. Trust me, you can enhance the performance and detection depth in the 3-Tone mode, but it is really best suited for hunting most typical sites we encounter where we have to deal with trash and other shallower-positioned metal targets. If you want a little better depth, then you have the 2-Tone Discriminate mode or Threshold-based All Metal mode to choose from ... if conditions are clean and allow depth accomplishment.

Monte

It's not an issue, It's just part of any detector using different modes such as that.

That's it, the site will dictate what mode is used. One thing to remember is users are pulling targets in areas that have been unhuntable in the past by most machines. These targets are not that deep...just masked. It surprised me how shallow those good targets are. Lower gain is not a bad thing in there.

I am sure it is a myth that is circulating the net about the racer loosing depth on 3 tone. I am using the Racer in 3 tone 90 % of the time and am getting coins from between junk on a regular basis.
The depth loss is zero there is not one tiny bit of ldepth loss from what i can see. The 3 tone works a treat for me as these days i am digging ALL mid tones no matter how bad they sound. I got some deep coins this way.
I seem to find more in 3 tone for sure but thats because i am used to 3 tone. I use the 5 inch coil more than the large standard coil.

Ringzapper said:
I am sure it is a myth that is circulating the net about the racer loosing depth on 3 tone. I am using the Racer in 3 tone 90 % of the time and am getting coins from between junk on a regular basis.
The depth loss is zero there is not one tiny bit of ldepth loss from what i can see. The 3 tone works a treat for me as these days i am digging ALL mid tones no matter how bad they sound. I got some deep coins this way.
I seem to find more in 3 tone for sure but thats because i am used to 3 tone. I use the 5 inch coil more than the large standard coil.

Yeah, it"s a myth started from fanboys of other detectors that cost 3 times what the Racer does with the same performance. I have found some very deep coins and trash with my Racer... I mean DEEEEEP. In 2 tone and 3 tone.

The racer manual states 2 tone is the deepest of the discrimination modes. I think nokta posted or is in the manual that the gain up to 85 or 89 has depth equal to 2 tone in 3 tone mode if I remember correctly