Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Racer real world hunt video

Keith Southern

I made no great finds but I think it will let you see how it runs...

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVaTkr9DD7o[/video]

Keith

Thanks for posting the videos, Keith. I've watched all three that you've posted so far,
and I really appreciate you creating them so quickly. I'm looking forward to any
new ones you post.

Thanks again for the video Keith. Might be a tough choice for me between the Racer, G2+, and F19.

Amazing stuff Keith. Thank you! I'm amazed how you can learn the sounds so quickly. It sounds and acts like a very sensitive machine, which is great. My questions are these...

1) can you "learn or hear" what bottle caps are in the ground yet?
2) how do you differentiate good signals in the iron? By sounds/tones alone or by checking the iron on the screen?

Thank you in advance,
Bubba

I may be leaning toward a G2+ now.. Love the video but all of that iron was giving some high tones and the shoe toe piece sounded like iron or mixed with iron but yet no iron around it..i didnt like that.. Maybe im wrong at what i seen?

basstrackerman said:
I may be leaning toward a G2+ now.. Love the video but all of that iron was giving some high tones and the shoe toe piece sounded like iron or mixed with iron but yet no iron around it..i didnt like that.. Maybe im wrong at what i seen?

I'm with you, that iron seemed like it was giving some high tones and that stinks. How would the Racer act in a total iron pit? I hope someone makes a video of it in a site saturated with iron.

The high iron tones I heard were broken and weak and mixed with low tones as expected. I have had detectors that would only give high tones on iron and others would simply mask it and be stoned cold quiet, rather than mixed which tells a better story of the target. I heard the detector sounding a little chatty so I imagine Keith had the gain cranked up. But I thought the toe piece had a clear and round sound and I would have dug it in a heartbeat. Knowing my luck it would have been an old shotgun shell if I was there! I had the impression for the toe piece that it was pretty much not masked by any iron junk so most if not all detectors probably would have hit it. You may want to wait to see how the G2 stacks up against this when targets are next to iron. I suspect you may want to lean back toward the Racer. I had a GBP (same as G2) and loved it but I had a hard time in iron junk like old towns. I thought it had limited depth and was okay for iron masking, but a few machines are better these days. Even FTP has improved the G2/GBP with the F19 IMHO. I imagine a number of test videos are coming in the next week or two with all kinds of depth test, shootouts, etc. Hang in there and enjoy the ride.

"I imagine a number of test videos are coming in the next week or two with all kinds of depth test, shootouts, etc. Hang in there and enjoy the ride."

Those were my favorite lines I'm an otherwise GREAT POSTING tab. Thank you. And I couldn't agree more. I'm itching to pull the trigger on the new racer/g2 plus/etc, BUT am TRYING to be patient and learn more from others first. But the videos from Keith Southern and others are amazing.

I watched the videos again and i will wait and hold judgment for a few weeks.. Will watch more reviews..

All machines in my dirt will give the iron buzz on deeper targets..you have to listen for the round sound of the merging of iron and high tone ....just need to Know your dirt and pay attention to the magnetic index...

Im sure the F19 would hit the Tap....but would of been weaker...the gain on the CoRe and the Racer along with stronger volume helps notice deeeper stuff...yet makes the surface stuff seem more sparky...

Keith

Bass and Bubba. I sympathize with you guys. I was looking at the newer Fishers and heard the rumblings about the Racer and took some time to digest the feedback of the Fors CoRe. The thought is that was the baseline for the Racer. I honestly don't know that if that is true. After taking in a lot pros and cons for all of the above I decided to pre-order the Racer Pro Pack. I really wish I had it today. It's been in the seventies. Not bad for February in Colorado. So now I'm itching to get my hands on it and hoping the weather permits some time to play later in February and March. So I'm committed to the Racer. That said opinions are just that. Everyone has different tastes and needs. I find Keith's videos interesting since his soil sucks and so does the soil I have in my area. Monte and Steve have their own take and always give great analysis and videos. They and others have always shown a lot of integrity and have not delivered just another sales pitch. I guess we all have to take what we need from those and other sources to figure out what is best for your own needs. I want something primarily that will excel in junky ghost towns and second useful in parks for coins. I think I have made some costly mistakes in the past by putting the coin performance first. The last couple of years and I think the next couple of years is going to be interesting for detectors. Things have never been better for the consumers. Except making a choice...

was out for a brief time Thursday afternoon, then yesterday morning 'til lunch with Gregg [size=small](Oregon Gregg)[/size], then back out for the rest of the afternoon until dark. Out today and stopped back home for some lunch and check the forum activity. There sure are a lot of people who I don't think are used to using more open settings, or run at higher gain levels, or really do that much work in 'relic' types of sites where iron can abound.

Keith Southern said:
All machines in my dirt will give the iron buzz on deeper targets..you have to listen for the round sound of the merging of iron and high tone ....just need to Know your dirt and pay attention to the magnetic index...
I, too, live in or travel to some very mineralized environments, and when you're working at high gain settings, and using a very minimum Discrimination level, you have to expect those sputter high-tone bleeps that can work out of iron trash.

I know some people I have talked with have read the forums for a few weeks and are trying to figure out the Nokta FORS CoRe and now the Makro Racer, and part of that is because some of us like to work in the 2-tone audio, like to hear the VCO response, like to have the gain cranked up, and also like to work at a minimum Discriminate setting. We hear [size=small](a trained ear)[/size] both the lower ferrous tones and the clear higher-reading VCO response, and we can also do a better job of 'deciphering' some of those questionable hits.

My feeling is that many readers use a lot of Discrimination, even to the point of rejecting ALL iron, and many also run it a little higher than that to just below a US nickel. Plus, a lot of them are 'average hobbyists' who use a single tone detector and want to rely too heavily on the visual TID info, and they don't understand a governed 2-Tone or the use of VCO in the search audio response. Thus, to many hobbyists, some of the 'iffy' responses in your video they take as not being very good. I take them as being 'informative' about the target.

Keith Southern said:
Im sure the F19 would hit the Tap....but would of been weaker...the gain on the CoRe and the Racer along with stronger volume helps notice deeper stuff...yet makes the surface stuff seem more sparky...

Keith
Had two F19's to evaluate, and I know for a fact their audio response, even at maximum Sensitivity, would have been much weaker on that target. They are definitely improved in handling iron than the Gold Bug Pro and G2, but just didn't quite make the grade, for me, in the tests and field work I did. The Coin & Relic and Racer? We KNOW what they can do on targets that are questionable with the F19.

Okay, time to head back out.

Monte

I think a lot of us do realize that hunting relics is best done with a completely different setup than say coin shooting. I'm not put off a bit by a bit of noise when I see a video of someone relics hunting. In fact, I would also most say it would be expected from a detector set for optimum performance. I do a bit of relic hunting and generally either set my E-Trac to TTF, so I can hear the iron, or my AT Pro with Iron Audio so I can hear the iron.

I think some are being a bit premature in judging the Racer at this point. Of course unless you just don't like the color LOL.

I agree when huntng in iron a quiet machine is not hunting (tops). But there is a reasonable cutoff expected for the high snaps over iron. A delicate balance really. My CoRe unit seems just a little sparky, not overdone, as long as you don't get carried away with gain setting. By watching the video, Racer is definitely sparkier than CoRe unit.

If I'm not hunting in all metal I use two tone with no disc. when relic hunting, which is all I do. On the Omega and the MX5 I usually don't get a low tone on the edges of a good target, but there appeared to be a lot of iron there and it may have come from that. That said, it wouldn't be hard to get used to the Racer because every target Keith dug I would have dug also. If it gets decent depth in mineralized ground I'd be happy with it. A lot of great features for the money, and cheaper than the F19 or G2+. I wonder how much shipping's gonna cost to Turkey if it ever needs to be sent back.

sounds like everyone is looking at the machine as a relic iron infested site hunter ??

not sure single freq is the best for that job. maybe I am used to the minelabs when iron is bad for coins can slow right down and these faster machines don't seem to work so well swung real slow.

more interested in this detector as a coin jewellery unit in modern parks and a AM gold detector.

not sure what to do yet have a F19 if this can do better then its a real good machine for what I want it for.

AJ

Alot of the audio nuance is lost on video..in person those high hits sound chopped/flat...

a video camera/Phone seems to just pick up the peak reports...In person and especially wit some ear tuning you will know what to dig and what not to dig...

Keith

I could come up with a lot of dumb reasons, because there isn't a good reason.

Some detectors you can use because they can work, but the Racer you WANT to use because it works so well, performance is simply remarkable, and it has to be the best value on the market. Look no more, just get a Racer and enjoy the hunt!

Monte

basstrackerman said:

kt said:
I'm with you, that iron seemed like it was giving some high tones and that stinks. How would the Racer act in a total iron pit? I hope someone makes a video of it in a site saturated with iron.

You have to keep several things in mind when evaluating the videos, suchl as the settings used, then factor in the coil used and size/shape of the ferrous targets. I work every detector I evaluate over some old sites that provide a variety of iron-based targets. I also have the samples in my seminar tote to help do some "show-and-tell" when attendees ask about the "noisy operation" they have and how to deal with it. The main problem is they want perfect performance from conditions that can't provide it.

Are both of you familiar with using Double-D search coil designs, ... often?

Do you run your Discrimination [size=small](ID Masking on the CoRe and ID Filter on the Racer)[/size] low to accept a lot of iron?

I have an old Railroad Date Nail from the 1920's. It's about 3" long, but thick-bodied, and the nail head, with the date on it, is also thick. One iron nail, but you can have more than one Target ID and Audio Tone response from one piece of iron based upon its position to the search coil. If it is positioned so the point of the nail is towards the search coil, you get a consistent Target ID of '26' and the anticipated or proper Low Tone response. However, if you sweep directly over the round head of the nail, as if it had been driven straight into the ground, you get a slightly broken audio response, although a lot of it is the higher VCO Tone, and the Target ID is '41' and sometimes ± that a little.

Lay that same iron target on the ground pointed at you and away and sweep across its width and you'll mostly get the anticipated low-tone for iron. Turn 90° and sweep across it lengthwise and you'll get a mostly Low Iron Tone but likely have a Higher VCO Tone sneak in there as well. Why? Because the head of the nail is now "on edge" and it has a different effect on the EMF.

The design engineers can't defeat some challenges man creates, and tinkering with adjustments won't help, either. It's not just an Iron target we encounter, but often a challenging shaped iron target that creates problems for us. Most typical iron we find will be something like an iron nail, and hopefully not of an odd shape.

Basstrackerman, I had two F19's I traded for or bought to evaluate and they worked ... but not to my satisfaction and I parted with them. Poor depth and terrible on higher-conductive targets.

btm and kt, ANY detector in a real iron pit will have problems. We have to use the best tools for the sites we hunt, such as a smaller-size search coil and a quick-responding detector that can also handle iron trash rejection well. Not just be a quick-response model, but deal with the Disc. processing and recovery, too. This month I am completing my 50th year of metal detecting, and start #51 the first week of March. I encountered iron trash, mainly nails and bottle caps, early on, and since May 4th of 1969 I have shifted my concentrated efforts to ghost towns and other out-of-the-way older places where ample iron abounds.

Fortunately we have some very good detectors over the past twenty to thirty years to help hunt such sites, but at times I have been in "an iron pit" and that calls for favorite tool #1 ... a rake. Remove some of the masking and annoying trash metal and improve the odds for my success. Depending upon the make and model detector and coil attached, you will have poor, fair, or very good performance in a dense iron nail infested site. I have four detectors in my personal arsenal that do well on such a challenge, and of those four, the absolute best performance comes from the FORS CoRe and Racer.

I find Keith's videos interesting, to see the types of sites he hunts, and informative. Like he stated in his response, you have to self-interpret some of the subtle audio that doesn't always come across in the recorded sounds. Plus we are using Double-D coils on these models and, as a rule, DD's do not discriminate as cleanly as a Concentric coil, and they will also be non-uniform in their response between a right-to-left approach and then a left-to-right sweep.

Back to the problem, however, and that is iron. We are dealing with Iron, and ferrous metal has a different effect on the EMF than non-ferrous metals. The big problem is the shape of the metal and what man does to make it tough. If you think all iron should sound like iron all the time, here's a simple test you can do that I demonstrate in my seminars, or encourage people to do to learn more about their detectors and detecting.

1.. Find a shiny paper clip that isn't plastic, but iron-based. Make sure it is attracted to a magnet.

2.. Open it up to form a mostly straight 'wire' of metal.

3.. Use YOUR detector and YOUR search coil and adjust the Discrimination low so you will hear Iron. Sweep across it lengthwise and crosswise. Note the Target ID numeric response and write it down. On my Racer it was mostly '19' with an occasional flicker to '20.' Also note the audio Tone [size=small](Iron or Non-Iron)[/size].

4.. Now, bend the straight paperclip wire into a U shape, lay it on the metal-free ground and sweep over it again. Write down what Target ID numeric reading you get and the Tone [size=small](Iron or Non-Iron)[/size].

5.. Now, using the same bare spot of metal-free ground, and using the same, stick-to-a-magnet iron wire, bend the two ends into tiny hooks and bend it from a U into an O shape hooking the two ends together. Lay it on the bare ground and sweep across this same piece of ferrous metal ... that man has shaped (YOU) into a slightly different configuration. Sweep over it with your same detector and coil and settings, and jot down the Target ID numeric read-out and audio Tone response.

If you think back to what you stated:

"Love the video but all of that iron was giving some high tones and the shoe toe piece sounded like iron or mixed with iron but yet no iron around it..i didnt like that"

... and ...

"I'm with you, that iron seemed like it was giving some high tones and that stinks."

Then maybe you need to rethink your views and opinions on Keith's videos and/or your quick thought of how the Makro Racer is performing. As you will learn, a lot of the iron we encounter is not 'perfect' and we just have to do our best to use our learned skills of target deciphering and interpretation ... or dig everything that isn't a rock-solid iron Tone ID and visual read-out.

I was out detecting a while yesterday, got home and took a nap, then I have been up all night working with both detectors, and others, doing target sampling and comparison, measure detection depth, and responding to e-mails and forum posts. Now it's 5:59 AM and I need to go shower and change clothes because The Pheasant Grill opens at 6AM and I need an Ultimate Omelet to start my day before heading off with the Coin & Relic and Racer, very confident that I am traveling with the two best detectors I could have for any site I encounter with an assortment of search coils that are up-to-the-task.

Go find a paperclip, get you detectors and coils, do a very simple 'man-challenging' test, then post your results and comments. Nothing is 'perfect' and there is no such thing as a 'perfect' detector. Both of these have a glitch or two that I have passed along, but they still remain .... EXCELLENT, and the absolute simplest to set-up and use with the best ability to hunt in iron littered sites.

Monte