Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Racer testing

Terry in PA

Did a little testing today at one of my hunt sites. The soil is soft black woods dirt until you get to the 5 inch mark then your in a soft sandy clay. I dug a 8 lnch hole and put in a quarter and refilled the hole. Put the racer in two tone mode and left the gain at 70 id filter at 10 ground balanced at 68. Past the coil over the ground and.....nothing ! upped the gain a little to 80 and reground balanced and ....Nothing upped it to 85 and overload when touching the ground in different spots. Tried 3 tone mode gain 85 id filter 10 ground balance at 68 small chirp. Upped gain to 99 good signal. Took it for a short walk and returned to the spot where the quarter was and .....Nothing. Turned on tracking reground balanced and good signal. Two tone with tracking on same settings of gain 80 id filter 10 ok signal still not the best but a signal. I thought two tone was a deeper searching mode then 3 tone ? Not in this test it wasn't in two tone it struggled to get a repeatable signal . All metal mode picked it up. Seems like when in tracking turned on it worked better but not as deep as the video's you see of people placing coins in fresh dug holes at 8,9,10 inches deep and nice clear tones in factory preset modes....Just didn't work that way for me any Idea's out there?

I know this is after the fact. Did you scan the empty hole and the dirt you dug? I will bet you that there was masking going on. Dig three holes far apart 5 feet or so, and do the same test after scanning for ALL metals in the dirt and holes.

How is it in air testing? if it cant find it at eight inches, then maybe it could be a coil issue.

How about silent EMI? is this deep in the woods or is there houses near by?

Scanned area before hole was dug and far away from any EMI . Will air test a little later.

Terry in PA said:
Scanned area before hole was dug and far away from any EMI . Will air test a little later.

Air test results are as follows, Two tone gain 70 id filter 10 ...quarter at 11.5 inches with repeatable weak signal. 3 tone with 95-99 gain and id filter 10....quarter at 11inches.
Nickle in 2 tone same settings ..12-12.5 inches. Dime...10-10.5 inches Seems to be good ! Will investigate target hole again when I have time to do so. What seemed to be a factor was the ground balance. It seemed to change a good bit over searching . When checking the test hole after search for a time the quarter would not respond. Once ground balanced would respond some. When switching to ground track it seemed to help with the target response. How many times does this machine need ground balanced over a search ? And does tracking affect the over all depth of the detector?

Well If my red Racer with stock coil can find this bit of jewlery in 16-18" of super soft dry sand in the dunes, then 8" should be no prob.

Terry in PA said:
Did a little testing today at one of my hunt sites. The soil is soft black woods dirt until you get to the 5 inch mark then your in a soft sandy clay. I dug a 8 lnch hole and put in a quarter and refilled the hole. Put the racer in two tone mode and left the gain at 70 id filter at 10 ground balanced at 68. Past the coil over the ground and.....nothing ! upped the gain a little to 80 and reground balanced and ....Nothing upped it to 85 and overload when touching the ground in different spots. Tried 3 tone mode gain 85 id filter 10 ground balance at 68 small chirp. Upped gain to 99 good signal. Took it for a short walk and returned to the spot where the quarter was and .....Nothing. Turned on tracking reground balanced and good signal. Two tone with tracking on same settings of gain 80 id filter 10 ok signal still not the best but a signal. I thought two tone was a deeper searching mode then 3 tone ? Not in this test it wasn't in two tone it struggled to get a repeatable signal . All metal mode picked it up. Seems like when in tracking turned on it worked better but not as deep as the video's you see of people placing coins in fresh dug holes at 8,9,10 inches deep and nice clear tones in factory preset modes....Just didn't work that way for me any Idea's out there?

Maybe the detector ground balanced to the top layer of soil. Take some of the sandy clay and do a GB over it and see if there is a difference result. Just a suggestion.