Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

racer vs 705

digginLa

Has anyone used these 2 detectors side by side to see how well the Xterra does against the Racer? Thinking about selling/trading my Omega, haven't really liked it since I bought it (EMI issues and just don't like the stock coil). So thoughts and opinions on performance differences between the detectors would be appreciated.

-- moved topic --

It would depend on which performance criterias your angling towards. Eg.: raw depth ? Ability in minerals? TID accuracy? TID accuracy at deeper depths? See through/around iron ability ? Ability to switch back and forth between nuggets-to-coins? blah blah blah.

It would be sort of like asking to compare a corvette to a 10-wheeler dump truck. What are your objectives ? Hauling rock or dirt ? Get the dump truck. 140 mph ? Get the corvette. etc... etc....

Well that helped quite a bit but lets see. Live in the deep south so minerals not much of a problem, no gold either so not a big deal but I know its just a push of a button on my 705 no clue what you have to go thru to change over on the Racer. So, yeah raw depth, and TID accuracy/accuracy at depth. Not really worried about iron if I find a site that has a bunch I'll just use my Cibola if the 705 seems to be having problems. Not sure what you mean about hauling rock or going 140 mph but what the heck maybe your just trying to use metaphors that I just don't get in my old age.

I see you have a Cibola and the 705. You said that in a site with a bunch of iron you'd grab the Cibola. If you had a Racer, you'd grab the Racer for those iron sites and leave the Cibola and the 705 at home. The Racer would spank the Cibola in the iron.

Thanks, I know the Cibola does better around iron junk that the Omega, haven't used the 705 enough since I bought it to see how much better or worse it is.

digginla, I've recently purchased a Racer....I have a Cibola and an X Terra 70. The X Terra and the Racer are about the same weight, Cibola (as you know) is lighter. I know what you mean about the Cibola in iron areas..One of the things about the Cibola is that you dont have a screen with numbers to confuse the issue...I have found that my Omega is a bit better for me than the XTerra, but often it comes down to regulating sensitivity and coils to match the condtions. The Racer is up there with any of the others mentioned (for me)..and I am finding that it can zero in on coins that I think my other detectors might miss, or give a more confused signal. I have just gotten through my first set of batteries with the Racer, so still well and truly on the learning curve...from what I have seen of it so far I think it is a very good machine, and I'm looking forward to getting to know it better. HH

Congrats on the new machine and thanks for the info. The Omega just never clicked with me mostly due to the EMI issues I have with it and I just hate the stock elliptical coil. Just more used to the round concentrics on the Tesoro's that I've used and now the one on the 705. If I decide to buy the Racer it will be to replace the Omega, just can't see getting rid of my Cibola.

sold my omega too just didn't want to learn it and didn't fit my needs so well, I know I had an xterra with a NEL 12 x 13 and probably the deepest combo I have used only machine I regret selling , racer mark 2 will be on my radar so will wait and see with that machine.

Cibola will always live with me :biggrin:

can only swing one at time well at least I think so :biggrin:

AJ

The reason I sold my Omega was the noise. I prefer a nice stable non-chirping detector myself. If this is the case I'd go with the 705. The Racer is a good detector but a lot like your other what I call Rice Krispies. The machines that tend to chirp and peep a lot even when not moving.

I couldn't think of a good discriptive name for the sounds put out by so many of the digital machines.
Yeap, snap, crackle, pop is about right to my mind.

diggin-La, thanx for clarifying your question. Keep in mind that the 705 was made to be a cross-over between nuggets (prospecting) and coins/relics. Hence it will excell in neither arena. A sort of compromise. So it is by no means the deeper seeking coin/relic machine, when compared to others. And the Racer, to my knowledge, was not meant for nuggets. Not that it couldn't find a birdshot sized item perhaps, but just that it wasn't designed for that purpose/venue.

So if your desire is for "raw power", then the Racer will go deeper. Not sure about TID at depths, but will say that NEITHER one is necessarily the TID-at-depths machine (when compared to something like the explorer series in turf, for instance).

I had a friend with the 305 (which is like the 705) using the 6" HF coil, who was utterly spanking various other machines in a nail-riddled ruins environment. Granted he couldn't go that deep, but he could effortlessly pull condutive targets from holes that had multiple nails in them ! Not sure if the Racer is that capable. Because it's also a balls-to-the-walls deep seeker. And anytime you start talking those-kinds of depths, the *normal* trade off, is lesser ability at averaging, and separation.

A buddy and I will be pitting my 705 w/HF coil against his racer, in a nail-riddled zone this winter on a road trip hunt. A zone that's given up seateds, reales, etc..., yet is a solid blanket of iron. We will be reporting the results of the 705 vs Racer.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Tom, good luck with your upcoming hunt. I'll be watching for your report on how the two machines do against one another.

To start, and for readers who don't know who I am or have never followed any of my posts, let me first clearly state that I am a Tesoro fan (of certain favorite models), and also state that for the bulk of my fifty-plus years of metal detecting I have preferred smaller-size search coils. I also , generally, prefer Concentric coils, but that's not a 100% thing, just a primary preference due to where I usually hunt. And to describe that, it is most often in more iron infested and/or confined spaces, such as brushy mining and logging camps, building rubble and debris-rich RR ghost towns and similar old townsites, homesteads, stage and RR stops, pioneer and military encampments, and when stuck closer to home, I like to seek any renovation work in older parts of a town.

And my favorite Tesoro models became such due to their wonderful ability to handle a dense iron nail plagued site, with many iron nails all in relatively close association. For 21+ years now I have relied on my Nail Board Performance Test, comprised of four iron nails surrounding a single US 1¢ cent, and I put every make and model detector to that test with every possible factor designed coil for their models, and I challenge any detector/coil combination to compete with the performance of my favored Tesoro's and the coil's I am partial to.

So, as you can see, using my Bandido II w/6" Concentric, or my Silver Sabre µMAX and Bandido II µMAX, each with their own 6" Concentric coil, or my Eldorado [size=small](µMAX-size version)[/size] with the stock 8X9 Concentric 'OOR' [size=small](Out-of-Round)[/size] or the 6" Concentric coils, any rival make and model has to try to come up to their level of performance. Your Cibola, with stock 8X9 Concentric, or especially if you have a 6" Concentric mounted, could fit in the Tesoro category for competitors to try and challenge it.

digginLa said:
Has anyone used these 2 detectors side by side to see how well the Xterra does against the Racer?
Yes. The Minelab X-Terra's I have personally owned or used to compare performance, do not match the performance I can get from my four regular-carry Tesoro models, and they also did not match the performance I got from the Makro Racer when I was using the 5½X10 DD or the little 4.[size=small]7[/size]X5.[size=small]2[/size] [size=small]'OOR'[/size] DD coil. It didn't care which 'frequency' or coil size/type I used on the X-Terra models, either.

digginLa said:
Thinking about selling/trading my Omega, haven't really liked it since I bought it (EMI issues and just don't like the stock coil).
I have owned four/4 Teknetics Omega's, all version '4', and while I had some EMI problems at some locations, I knew the reason/s and could deal with it. I liked the stock elliptical [size=small](5½X9¾)[/size] Concentric coil better than the 11" BiAxial [size=small](aka Double-D)[/size] coil which I just don't care for, but for more open-area hunting with the Omega I favored the round 8" Concentric coil, and then, since the bulk of my detecting is in both trashier Coin and Relic Hunting conditions, the little round 5" DD coil. Matter-of-fact, I usually kept my 5" DD mounted on my Omega's full-time!

A friend borrowed my Omega w/8" and elliptical Concentric coils for a spell, liked it, and twisted my arm to buy it .... but he didn't get my 5" DD coil. I still have it and am looking for another very clean specimen of an Omega [size=small](I pamper every detector I own and use)[/size] to add back into my arsenal, just to use the 5" DD coil most of the time in trashier environments, and as a loaner for property owners to come on and join the fun of detecting [size=small](an offer I use to get onto some private property)[/size].

You ought to give the round 8" Concentric and small round 5" DD coils a try before parting with your Omega. It's a lower-cost option, too.

digginLa said:
So thoughts and opinions on performance differences between the detectors would be appreciated.
From my experiences, used side-by-side, the Racer's audio was better, the sweep speed could be varied from very, very slow to a moderate speed, to rather brisk and work much better then the X-Terra at a similar sweep speeds. it is much easier to work through all the control adjustments on the Racer. Since I usually use the smaller-size coils and hunt in iron trashed conditions, I used my NBPR to compare them and the X-Terra wasn't even close to the performance I get from my Tesoro's, and equally not a rival for the Racer.

digginLa said:
The Omega just never clicked with me mostly due to the EMI issues I have with it and I just hate the stock elliptical coil.
I had more EMI issues with the X-Terra's than the Racer. Not as bad as the Omega at a high Gain setting, but the Omega is controllable.

digginLa said:
Just more used to the round concentrics on the Tesoro's that I've used and now the one on the 705.
As I stated, I am that way as well, but the Racer has only DD coils made for it, and that is a key. The DD coils were made for it because it was designed by and with DD coils, thus the Racer works well with them. And, as I stated, my two favorite coils for an Omega are the round 8" Concentric and round 5" DD.

The Makro Racer is a nice 'fit' in my personal detector battery, too, because it provides the excellent performance in dense iron nails to closely match my Tesoro's more than any other detector I have tried. besides, I also like the racer because it is 'Simple' to use, with very 'functional' adjustments that are easy-to-make, and provides the 'Performance' I enjoy using he Racer is also a nice touch when it comes to actually using it afield.

digginLa said:
If I decide to buy the Racer it will be to replace the Omega, just can't see getting rid of my Cibola.
If your Omega is a newer Omega in very clean condition, you could use it as trading stock and add a bit of cash to nab an extra 'as-new' Racer with Pro Package I acquired. Got it to surprise a friend, but he surprised me as he had just recently acquired a new Racer w/Pro Package.

Monte

Monte said:
digginLa said:
Has anyone used these 2 detectors side by side to see how well the Xterra does against the Racer?
Yes. The Minelab X-Terra's I have personally owned or used to compare performance, do not match the performance I can get from my four regular-carry Tesoro models, and they also did not match the performance I got from the Makro Racer when I was using the 5½X10 DD or the little 4.[size=small]7[/size]X5.[size=small]2[/size] [size=small]'OOR'[/size] DD coil. It didn't care which 'frequency' or coil size/type I used on the X-Terra models, either.

It sounds like you're saying that you *did* try the smallest HF coils with an X-terra, right ? If so, this isn't jiving with the side-by-side tests I've seen done at an iron/nail zone here. The X-terra (a 305 in this case) with 6" HF was indeed outpacing a Silver Sabre II in the iron-see through ability. It would only do it with the HF. Not MF or LF coils . Perhaps the silver sabre II isn't as good for the task as the silver sabre umax ?

Tom_in_CA said:
Monte said:
digginLa said:

It sounds like you're saying that you *did* try the smallest HF coils with an X-terra, right ? If so, this isn't jiving with the side-by-side tests I've seen done at an iron/nail zone here. The X-terra (a 305 in this case) with 6" HF was indeed outpacing a Silver Sabre II in the iron-see through ability. It would only do it with the HF. Not MF or LF coils . Perhaps the silver sabre II isn't as good for the task as the silver sabre umax ?

I had a 705 and there were a lot of things I liked about it but how it handled iron or masking from other trash was not one of them. I only used the 5x10" HF coil. It just did not separate very well at all so I sold it.

If it had done at least a little better I would never had sold it because otherwise I really liked the machine.

Have thought about getting another at some point with a Concentric coil for less trashy areas.

Others may have different results but I could never get the 705 using the digger coil to hit either of the dimes I have buried on edge. One at 5" the other at 6".
The 5x10" hf coil would hit both. As info.

thanx for the input. I ran out and bought a 705 when I saw the "hat trick" that my friend's 305 was performing. This particular site (a traveller stop adobe site in CA) has given up about 10 reales, various early seateds, many 1810 to 1840s buttons, etc... As time went on, the site got cleaned out. And now, the only place left that has anything left, is a particular area that was always filled with iron of all different shapes and sized. I mean, so much that it's a continual blanket.

I've been through it with 77b's, 77b auto-legend, Silver sabre, shadow x2, and all the "regular normal" machines like CZ's, XLT's, 6000d's, Explorers, etc..... And then one time I took this friend of mine out there with a 305 w/6" HF. He was spanking a blisstool, a CTX with small coil, and an explorer with a FIVE TO ONE margin. A few times he'd show us signals that, I had to admit, I wouldn't have heard on my own.

So I ran out and bought a 705 with 6" HF.

So do you think a 305 is somehow different than the 705 in this regard ? It shouldn't be. Hmmm.....

Thanks for the info everyone. I may have to give the 8" concentric a chance to see how it does, but unless it helps with the EMI issues which coil I'm using doesn't really matter. Yes I know I can turn down the sensitivity but I don't see why I should have to when I can run other machines at full power or just under. Guess I need to mark out a couple of small spots so I can see if I'm missing anything with one or more of my detectors that another one is finding.

Gotta say that just because one detector can be run at max sens doesn't mean that all detectors can in the same environment. The Racer is a good example as often I will run it with the sens or gain set at 01. Most detectors I've ever had could be run just about anywhere that I detected with the gain set at 80 - 100 or nearly max'd out. The Racer will still get targets at 4" - 5" with the gain set to 01 but try that on other detectors and you'll be lucky to get more than 1". Some detectors are just designed to have more gain than others. Just because you have to lower the gain doesn't mean it won't go just as deep a another detector with the gain max'd out.

in regards to the xterra's and the omega 8000 ,i have found that any comments posted by monte to have not a pinch of salt around but a bag of it.emubob