Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Racer wins the TRIFECTA!

Cal_Cobra

We hear the 5" OOR coil "hyped" a lot, so I returned to the spot that I first hunted with my Racer to see for myself.

This spot is an old park like setting that I've hunted with every machine I've owned multiple times over the years (Sovereign, Etrac, F70, F75, Omega, AT Pro, etc), it's a very small spot, no larger then about 50'x75' but has yielded dozens of old silver coins, indian heads, tokens, victorian era jewelry, etc., and I hadn't pulled a silver coin from there in several years, I'd work hard to eek out a green wheatie or an indian head, but that dry spell ended on the Racers maiden voyage where it bagged a merc and a silver war nickle and two green wheaties with the stock 11" DD on Easter weekend.

Yesterday I took the Racer there with the 5" OOR coil, set the sensitivty to 98, and switched between 3 and 2 tone modes to check signals. Now I will say right off the bat that most of these signals were NOT great signals. Had I been at a regular spot, for example like Golden Gate Park, I suspect that I wouldn't have dug several of these signals. But the site I was detecting I know well, and know that any deep non-ferrous signal is generally an old coin, Victorian jewelery, or I've been hoping possibly a gold coin. That said, I had one hell of a morning detecting this place, I do not believe I've ever pulled NINE keepers from this site in one single hunt.

First target was a 1943-S silver war nickle :thumbup:

Next up, was VERY DEEP, under big tree roots, and the pinpointer finds.....drum roll please A BIG NAIL!! Huh....recanned the hole with the 5" coil inside and I'm still getting a signal....dug further under the tree roots and out pops a semi-key date 1911-S wheatback in excellent condition :clapping:

Then around an old tree that's given up the goods in the past, and I thought I'd cleaned out, I got a 1910 V nickle in great condition :bouncy:

Next I got a mixed signal, not a great signal, but slowly working it I could get it to bounce into the low 80's. I dug down and dug some more, and saw a green disc flash by in my dirt pile, pinpointer finds a green 1916-S teens wheatie :thumbup: I scan the hole again with my pinpointer and I'm still getting a signal, deeper, dug some more and out pops another green teens wheatie, a 1917-S. Cool, mini-coin spill....but wait the pinpointer is still screaming, pulled out one more green teens wheatie, a 1919-S, and rescanned the hole with the ProPointer and I'm still getting a signal, dig a bit more and out pops a 1917 buffalo nickle :super:

Next signal, again a signal that wasn't awesome, but with slow sweeps I could get a bouncy low 80's TID, and I nailed another V nickle....1907 this time :tongue:

The next signal is not a great signal, getting blips into the low 80's, but super bouncy, lots of low tones...I started to move on, and curiosity got the best of me, I went back and found the signal again, dug it, and low and behold buffalo nickle #2 (1921) :shocked:

Interestingly the Racer tends to upaverage these deep nickles into....you guessed it, the 82 range. Kind of like using 3H tones on the F75 for F75 users. Oh and I'm noticing that the Racer LOVES nickles....be it silver war nickles or any type...which I hope also means it loves gold coins or gold jewelery.

So I can honestly say that the 5" OOR coil may get hyped, BUT it's the real deal, super deep, and it just plain finds the goods :clap:

LPMS51015.jpg

Good work. Any preference for the 2 or 3 tone modes?

TabWhisperer said:
Good work. Any preference for the 2 or 3 tone modes?

I primarily detected using 3 tones, but when I'd get a really iffy signal, I'd flip between 3 and 2 tones (both with the same settings) to see if it came in any better on 2 tones. Generally speaking, where I was hunting, I didn't see a lot of difference between 2 and 3 tones, so mostly stuck with 3 tones as it gives me more info.

Cal, I'm so happy for you. Congrats buddy! And yes you will find gold soon! Nickles are same range I think as gold?!!! My nickle loving CoRe found that gold ring last week and V nickle

That's some mighty fine detecting, Brian. Under the circumstances, all pretty impressive finds. :thumbup: Nice job! HH jim tn

Thats a heck of a showing on those nickels! :surprised: A person sees plenty of trifectas on silver dimes, but not so much on nickels! Nice work!:clapping:
Mud

Thanks bubbadirect! A machine that loves nickles is a good thing in my book! My old CZ70 loved nickles, and it also loved gold rings :)

Thanks Jim, it's a tough spot to eek anything out of anymore, so I was really pleased to get nine more keepers from it.

Thanks Mud, maybe next time it'll be a silver trifecta, wishful thinking probably :nopity:

HH,
Brian

Sweet finds. :cheers: