Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Radio Shack Discovery Three???

Ron from Michigan

Staff member
My brother gave me a Radio Shack Discovery Three to throw out or to put on Ebay.His wife bought this detector a few years ago as a gift and paid a lot of money for this detector.(Radio Shack)He said it was absolute junk and never could get to work right, or find any thing with it, and now it didn't work at all. With cabin fever I took it apart and found a lose wire on the toggle switch tuner.I soldered the wire back on and ran a few air test with coins.I ran a quarter, dime, penny and nickle past the coil and it ID'ed every coin. OK here's the sad part, I got an air test of 12inches on a quarter.The detector looks like a Teknetics Mark 1 with a different ID system. Has anybody ever used one of these detectors and how do they perform. Ron

The detector also has tone ID the pitch is higher for a quarter and lower for a nickle. Ron

Tuned in all metal with a little threshold it will still give est depth and ID coins about 80 percent out on the airtest.Warning, You are not going to believe this,because I don't either. With headphones on this is what I got for a air test Quarter 14" Penny 12" Dime 13" Nickle 13".I haven't used the detector yet because of the weather. Ron

The Teknetics Mark one don't look anything like this. This detector look and built by Bounty Hunter. It looks like it is around a 1988 model and worked OK from those I have seen. If you are getting 12 inches on a Quarter you are very lucky on a air test as most of the Bounty Hunters only got around 8 inches other than the Big Bud Pro which could get 10-12 inches and some even more.

Rick with the toggle switch on the all metal mode a quarter will airtest from 12-14 (7 inch coil) I'm sure its not going to perform that well? After checking further I think it may be built off the same platform of a Big Bud Pro.I found a web site with a manual for the Discovery 3 and have ordered one. I have rechecked the results with my Tesoro Silver Umax,Prizm,Ace 250,and ID Excel and none will match the air test of this vintage detector. Thanks Ron

If memory serves me, it is the same as the Big Bud Pro SED. You might want to go to the Bounty Hunter website and check on their forum for help with this unit. If it is the same, the SED was a very solid unit. If it was mine, I wouldn't sell it on Ebay, I'd keep it! :bouncy:

Update I bought a manual for it from a Radio Shack web site for around 10 bucks.It takes bounty hunter coils.I got a 4 inch coil off of ebay.I have used this unit in the field and its amazing. Ron