Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Randy's tip for deep iron has helped with other trash.

Digdoggy

Hi all, Randy who impresses me immensely every time I go back to his eBook Understanding your X-Terra has a cool tip on iron ID. Its for those deep iron signals and I'm sure alot of you already know this. I wanted to share what I've been doing with it using the digger coil on the 705. When I'm getting those tricky to tell signals like say a pretty stable, repeatable 40 (just for example) I sometimes can just go very slow over the target almost hovering over it and it'll give a change in audio along with a VDI number change. The audio is kinda hard to explain but it'll actually give me a " Bwooop " sometimes really clear and loud. Its always been trash. Unusual hunks of aluminum or other fairly solid trash. When it doesn't happen that easy I do the DD wiggle over it while slowly pulling it towards me. And when it comes out of the field of detection I get the audio and visual change. And it many times gives me that funny blooop, whuuup or similar sound. I've had pretty good luck with this. I've had trouble with 2-3 inch nice round tennis ball can lids. They give me a dime readout.
Most other trash though it's been doing it and not even a question. I apologize for my poor description. I don't know music so I can't write sounds well. It's not exactly R2D2 robot like. But that thing can really bring out some cool audio. Anyone else experience this. If not what do you do?

That bblunt ppunch on the leading edge of the audio is exactly what I listen for to mentally disc that junk out. You're right. It is hard to describe that sound, and I'm sure that some call it a grunt, but it's not what I think of when I think of a grunt.

Raising your coil or switching to either Pinpoint Sizing or Prospecting mode are ways to avoid those tennis ball can lids.....and crushed soda cans......and zinc mason jar lids.....and any other larger than coin object.

when you are talking about the different tones you hear are you using 4 tones or multi tones??

Yes , I also believe the grunt sounds we often hear are the result of this blended notes the X-terra gives. And not to be too repetitive but I can't stress enough how these machines put out such a language that only slowing down and putting the time in while listening intently until you can become to understand. One could say the 705 will " talk trash".

And by the way thanks LH. The 705 has so many cool but easy to access settings I forgot I have a prospect mode. Next time out in going right back where I left a couple tennis can lids. Gonna just listen in AM ,then.Prospect mode. We'll see if there isn't a Rosie in it for reward.

Mark in S.E. IA said:
when you are talking about the different tones you hear are you using 4 tones or multi tones??
Multi tones definitely. Randy explains it in the book. He refers to what he's hearing as "harmonics". You have to be in multi tones to get a transition between individual tones which is what creates the bloooop, or whoooping sounds. How that works is if you only had it in say 4 tones. When the response makes a change it would simply cut abruptly from the mid tone to the high. When we have all 28 tones on there's the mid to the high, same change but we've got all the tones in between so on the way up to the high tone each tone in-between will sound off on the way up. Thus the blooooop!! And each individual tone sort off lingers filling in the blanks causing a transition between tones. The last note overlaps into the next. Reminds me of editing music. Or I think of it as ramping up or down. Goes either way. You probably know about this so sorry for the longwinded answer. We have alot of new folks viewing thinking of these machines.

When you made your first post I was wondering how many tones you was using to better understand what you was talking about with the sounds.

Digdoggy said:
Mark in S.E. IA said:
Multi tones definitely. Randy explains it in the book. He refers to what he's hearing as "harmonics". You have to be in multi tones to get a transition between individual tones which is what creates the bloooop, or whoooping sounds. How that works is if you only had it in say 4 tones. When the response makes a change it would simply cut abruptly from the mid tone to the high. When we have all 28 tones on there's the mid to the high, same change but we've got all the tones in between so on the way up to the high tone each tone in-between will sound off on the way up. Thus the blooooop!! And each individual tone sort off lingers filling in the blanks causing a transition between tones. The last note overlaps into the next. Reminds me of editing music. Or I think of it as ramping up or down. Goes either way. You probably know about this so sorry for the longwinded answer. We have alot of new folks viewing thinking of these machines.

Yeah, for me anyway it was hard to get just what others are saying about the sounds they get. Until at least I was listening to my own machine making this
audio. Some say it's making grunts. I don't know about that but Randy writes something like a blend of harmonics. I described it compared to what I know and that's the film and video editing I did in college and after in business. The audio editing anyway. Hard to write a sound, guess if you're a composer,,ha ha. The 505 has multi tones just less than 28. I think that will do the same just shorter.
HH n GL out there

I took the 10.5 DD 7.5 coil for it's maiden voyage today and dug about 10 rusty crown caps (AM/99 tones) that gave high dime and quarter tones. I need to figure out how to ID them better; it is pretty annoying. I was kind of getting the feeling of it after awhile and could notice a slight choppiness to some trash signals when scanning, depending on swing speed..

scott, when using that coil the best way to tell if it's a rusty bottle cap is to do the wiggle.... Wiggle the coil over the target and pull the coil back to you at the same time and right when the tones will cut off the numbers should drop down in to the 20's and maybe jump back up in to the upper 30's to 40's, that's a bottle cap 85% of the time. The other 15% of the time it's a silver coin with a nail on top or right next to the coin, lol

atomicscott said:
I took the 10.5 DD 7.5 coil for it's maiden voyage today and dug about 10 rusty crown caps (AM/99 tones) that gave high dime and quarter tones. I need to figure out how to ID them better; it is pretty annoying. I was kind of getting the feeling of it after awhile and could notice a slight choppiness to some trash signals when scanning, depending on swing speed..

Thanks Mark, I was hoping you would respond. I know you swing the 505 and I hadn't heard about the crown caps and high tones/silver ID#s with the 705. I thought maybe it was something exclusive to the 505. It didn't seem to happen as often with the 6" HF coil, but I am digging less iron in general (other than the crown caps) using the 10.5 DD it seems. I will definitely try the wiggle technique next hunt. Thanks