Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Rare Compass "77 Auto Legend" on the bay right now...

rlchntr

n/t

They may be "rare" in that very few were manufactured. But in-so-far as ability, they never measured up to the original 77b or 77b auto.

The idea was to make a variable adjust speed to the auto-tune function. As opposed to the original 77b auto which just had 2 speeds (fast and slow). But the "legend" did not have an effective "off". So that even the slowest setting speed was still prone to have the over-shoot rebound effect. You had to keep a slight speed clip on the swing, lest you get that annoying rebound. Contrast to the slow (or near-off) position of the original 77b, where it didn't have that.

There is more to the story that I heard . Read from the people who were at Compass at that time, who posted the background evolution of the design decisions. Suffice it to say: This should not be confused with the original 77b or 77b auto. It might be collectible from a #'s made standpoint. But from a performance standpoint, I found it to be very disappointing.

Keith Wills has the 100 kHz by Compass, & other makes, for sale--and his, work (and various sized loops. :thumbup: ) You have one not working....call him
(you want a BFO which seem to be collectible now-he can get one working--but there is no market for them as hunters; years ago Charles Garrett loaded up his BFO
inventory in trailers & hauled them to the city dump :shrug: )

Joe(TX) said:
I would not recommend using it as your "Go To" detector. I was very disappointed when I had mine!

Ditto. The original 77b and 77b auto were better.

And for anyone who tracks down the original 77b to use for ghost-town type hunting: Hipmount it (or "S-handle" configure it) in such a way that the course and fine-tune knobs are accessible reach from your swing arm. Ie.: so you can have one finger to be able to reach and control those knobs, with the same arm you are swinging with. Otherwise, that old U-handle configuration made it difficult to both grip, swing, AND operate the tune knobs with one hand. You had to have your 2nd hand on the box, as your swing hand swung. Quite annoying. But I did mine on an S-handle (like cannibalize parts from an old 1260 or 1210, etc...). And then it becomes a one-handed operation.