Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

RC 13E depth??????

bd1024

Hi everyone, I am fairly new to the Racer 2, hated it at first due to the "ugly" tones, but she sure hits hard on coins. ----- I have been hunting a fairgrounds that has been in use for a weekly fair, once a year, since 1951. The midway has been in the same approx. 6-8 acre location all these years. ---It is a large county fair, lots of people, lots of coins, lots of trash. --- Has not been hunted much, if at all.. --- In any case, I have been using the stock Racer2 coil, and pulling loads of shallow coins, nothing old, no silver, only a couple of wheats. ---- No doubt that the silver is there, but I suspect it to be at about 6 to 10" and is being masked by all the trash. ----- Most of the clad I have recovered has been about 3-4"----- What kind of depth is the small 4.5x5 coil good for? --- fairly mild Midwestern soil, no EMI to contend with, ---- Am hoping for 6 to 8" depths, --------- is that possible? ---- Thanks!

Thanks for all the good answers. --- I have bought the 4.5x5" coil, since no one here seems to know anything about it, I will post my results after trying it out...........................

Bd, I have used the small coil you write of, with mixed emotions.
In a positive side, it's light as a feather. Like swinging nothing.
Negative side, it sure is little. Covers very little ground. But I am glad I have it, as it will be perfect for really tight areas.
I am using the DD stock coil with decent results.

You should have no trouble getting depth of 7 to 8", woth the little coil.

oleterryg said:
Bd, I have used the small coil you write of, with mixed emotions.
In a positive side, it's light as a feather. Like swinging nothing.
Negative side, it sure is little. Covers very little ground. But I am glad I have it, as it will be perfect for really tight areas.
I am using the DD stock coil with decent results.

You should have no trouble getting depth of 7 to 8", woth the little coil.

I meant to add that exciting times are coming. Within the next 10 to 15 days the new Racer 7" concentric coil should be available. $129.00.

Don't underestimate the value of that small coil. It is tremendous at helping sniff out masked targets in high trash areas, especially iron. And the depth is better than you'd think.

"I have bought the 4.5x5" coil, since no one here seems to know anything about it" ?????????????
Dig a little deeper there has been TONS of things written about the OOR coil and it is a great coil! The new 7 inch needs to get field use to indicate its worth, but the track record of previous offerings is VERY GOOD! I have red, black and gold Racers and they are top notch. I still find use for the CTX, Excal and TDI when the situation dictates, but I hear Nokta/Makro has some water devices that may replace those!

EXCEPTIONAL !!

bd1024 said:
Hi everyone, I am fairly new to the Racer 2, hated it at first due to the "ugly" tones, but she sure hits hard on coins.
The Racer 2 definitely has a hard-hitting response on coins, as well as other desirables.

bd1024 said:
I have been hunting a fairgrounds that has been in use for a weekly fair, once a year, since 1951. The midway has been in the same approx. 6-8 acre location all these years. ---It is a large county fair, lots of people, lots of coins, lots of trash.
The "lots of people" part is wheat we all like to have occur, but sadly that often comes with more trash. What's bad is the coins-to-trash ratio because in those earlier eras of use, due to loose clothing styles and activities, there seemed to be more loss of coinage than in recent years, yet we have had an increase in the amount of discarded clutter. A lot of that debris is also of a higher-conductive nature than what we used to get.

bd1024 said:
Has not been hunted much, if at all..
Are you certain about that? I know of three fairground sites that were used for county fairs, a week-a-year, plus they held some other periodic activities, dating back to the early-to-mid 1940's. I worked at two of the county fair sites between '64 and '68 at my Dad's booth and spent ample time, and $$$, in entertainment. I have heard people comment during the early '90s to about 2003 that they worked those fairground sites that have never been detected or only lightly worked. All I could do was grin a bit because I hunted all of them at different times, often heavily hunt the high coin exchange and game areas, from '68 to '77.

It is very difficult to find many "not hunted much" types of sites these days in popular, public-use areas. In the early era of this great outdoor sport, the hey-day you might say, that really saw rapid growth from about '70 to when it peaked about '83-'86, there was a lot of detecting going on by those of us who got a start in the hobby early on and enjoyed great success due to the abundance of coinage that had accumulated over decades of use. By the later '80s and into the early '90s, fewer of those places, or many public activity sites, have seen the heavy detecting presence there once was, and to this date many older yet public-view locations haven't appeared to be hunted, but I can assure you that many such sites did get worked in "the good old days."

bd1024 said:
In any case, I have been using the stock Racer2 coil, and pulling loads of shallow coins, nothing old, no silver, only a couple of wheats. ---- No doubt that the silver is there, but I suspect it to be at about 6 to 10" and is being masked by all the trash.
Masked by a lot of nearby or shallower trash, yes, but why would you think silver coins to be at a 6" to 10" depth? What disturbance or activities occurred to have displaced the lost coins? Target masking is the biggest culprit we have to deal with when trying to locate coins that have gone undetected much more than expecting coins to be deeper.

bd1024 said:
Most of the clad I have recovered has been about 3-4"--
Typical depths for "clad' or other modern cons, and really the surface-to-4" depth range of the majority of all lost coins. Only certain activities occur that can cover-up or displace coins such that they might be deeper. Modern detector designs and features, combined with poor operator technique and limited patience are more likely the main reasons many coins, new or old, are missed at most hunt sites rather than thinking it is because they are deeper.

bd1024 said:
What kind of depth is the small 4.5x5 coil good for? --- fairly mild Midwestern soil, no EMI to contend with, ---- Am hoping for 6 to 8" depths, --------- is that possible? ---- Thanks!
The small 4.[size=small]7[/size]X5.[size=small]2[/size] Makro 'OOR' coil, my favorite for full-time use on my Racer 2, will provide surprising coin-depth for a coil its size. Realistically speaking, a coil of those dimensions shouldn't be expected to produce desirable hits on 8" deep coins. Even 6" deep could be a stretch, and in some unfavorable ground coin-depths can be more limited with any size and type of coil used.

However, using the 'OOR' coils for over 2½ years on my Nokta FORS CoRe, and original Makro Racer and the current Racer 2, I have found quite a few coin and trade tokens and similar-size roundish-shaped non-ferrous targets in the 5" and over depths, to include a few at 6" and one that might have stretched to 7" of honest, best-guess depth.

When I want better detection depth, and when there is a proven likelihood for the potential of enough coins at the greater-than 5" depth range to make it worth my while, and when shallower masking trash isn't abundant, I rely on mid-size to standard-size search coils instead of hoping to achieve a lot of depth out of a dinkier-size search coil.

Just enjoy your Racer 2 and the excellent performance achievable with that 'OOR' coil and I know you're going to be impressed with performance along the way.

Monte