Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

??? RE GS5

fredm

Hi Eric, just a couple of questions which I hope you will answer.
First, for the least amount of effect when in the GB/ID mode would the GB control be at 12:00, completely counter clockwise, or completely Clockwise? Seems to me the 12 o'clock position would be nuetral and therefore affect the depth capabilites the least when in the GB/ID mode....but it is your machine so please enlighten me.
The Boys in Australia are saying great things about the GS5 and how it handles the extreme ground conditions, I can't get any description of what settings and techniques they are using so perhaps, since you were there, you could share that information or ask the people involved to cough it up so I can give it a try here in the west of the good ol' USA.
Thanks, I am willing to learn
Fred

Hi Fred,

The least amount of effect from the GB control, is when it is fully anticlockwise. there is still a considerable amount of GB applied even then. The range of the GB control was determined so that whatever coil was used and wherever the pulse delay control was set, you would get a ground balance point. I could have put in two controls, one coarse and one fine, to give a wider range, but that is not really necessary, because wherever you are in the world, the ground signal decay is about the same. The only thing that changes is its strength. In the US, it appears that the ground balance setting, even on a single turn pot. is fairly broad. In Australia, because it is so much stronger, the single turn pot had too narrow a GB point, so a 10 turn one was put in, to spead it out more.

One mistake that has been made (not made clear in the operating instructions) is to set the threshold control too far back, If the threshold is turned up so that it is a continous note, rather than a broken, spitty note, then the volume turned back so that it is at a comfortable low level, then the detector runs quieter and smaller target signals can be heard.

Eric.

Thanks Eric;
you have confirmed what seemed logical but I wanted to ask...I have been trying a louder threshold but I can't tolerate the mosquito Bussing for hours and hours...so I will look for some external tone control to modify the pitch...and be able to vary it...
I would love more details regarding the field tests in Oz regarding coils used, pulse delay settings, range setting , etc...The smallest targets sought and found; the same for largest...Hate to be a pain but "enquiring minds want to know"...
thanks again
Fred

Hi Fred
I really can't help you much as it has been some time since I used my GS5. Eric has been upgrading my GS5 and I should have it back next month.
Anyway before I sent it in I bench tested the system I would be testing in the field. Unfortunately, I did not have time to test it in the field before shipping it to the UK.

You have to understand I am not giving you the solution just the path I am following right now.

I am kind of picky with regards to the sounds I hear thru my headphones. Well the system I am testing is a Super Sound Enhancer(amp)(bought from Doc) hooked up to a ME-2 equalizer/amp and then to my Ratphones. I prefer the Ratphones as they do not produce a brassy or metallic sound when used with volume enhancers. Unfortunately, the Ratphones did not work hooked up to the Super Sound Enhancer(works with my Black Widow headphones) but will if you piggy back it with the ME-2 equalizer. I have no idea yet if using the second amp has any real value other than to enable me to use the Ratphones.

I have had excellent results bench testing this combo and wonder why no one has considered a volume enhancer for the GS5.My plan of attack with the amps is to bring the threshold down so I am just in the silent mode and simply search in this silent position. I will be doing some reverse discrimination tests with a RTA and I need to know exact sound responses. Great target reponses here. However, without field testing I don't know about how stable this setting would be in my area. How much loss of sensitivity there is by going to this position is unknown. However after bench testing the combo, at this time I feel my target response at this silent position with my amp system is far better than at the very low threshold buzzing mosquito setting without amps. The system also produces some similar results which I have seen posted about fringe targets with the Depthmaster. Stronger responses on deep fringe targets than these same targets at shallower depths. Again only field testing with a portable RTA can determine if the above concepts apply to the field.

Volume enhancers work well the the SD2100 and SD2200 PI's so why not with the GS5?

Well anyway Fred, the above ideas are just food for thought nothing more as they have not been field tested.

George

Thanks for the info , George;
I checked with the DepthMaster folks and they said their system will not work on Erics machines...I did use them for a while on my 2200 but they enhanced the background noice as well as the signal...I was considering checking out Doc's system...Does the equalizer have an adjustable tone control? I will do a search and check on "Ratphones" as I never have heard of them.

Thanks again
Fred
aren't you up in Nevada????

Frankly, I have never seen a need for a sound enhancer on an Eric Forster detector, if anything I have had to turn down the volume! I have not used a GS5, I have a GS4 modified by Reg and I use Koss 80's.
My threshold is the older style and not VCO. It is the "tick" sound, I run it as slow as possible, everything is a signal, it never enters the arena of threshold problems. Don

I doubt if they have ever seen a Eric Foster unit in question, or any Eric Foster unit.:shrug: I'm quite sure of this.

To address the DepthMaster thing, the amp needs to make connection through the tip, and the ring of a 1/4" stereo plug. Not through the tip, ring, and the sleeve of the plug.

I believe the Minelabs connect the audio to the headphone through the tip, and the ring of the stereo plug, also Fisher detectors connect this way. If someone has a DepthMaster headphone, or a DepthMaster amp for a Minelab or a Fisher, you might want to give it a try.

Two reasons for using Depthmasters, they allowed a lower and therefore more sensitive threshold and they cut-off the real big blasts...(Bill, I thought you and I spoke of this???) In my humble opinion Depthmasters actually did what they claimed to do...but they have got a bit pricey...but this discussion is straying...where are all those Australian GS5 fans?????????
Fred

I regard the use of sound enhancers as a personal decision. Actually the issue for me is the "hum" when you use a sound enhancer. The Super Sound enhancer does not have this hum and you can adjust the volume. The ME-2(actually a guitar amp)has I believe 6 volume controls either up or down for various frequencies. It will produce a hum when not adjusted. However, it you turn down the lower frequency you will eliminate the hum. I usually run all the frequencies up except the lower one and this is all the way down.

I regard the super sound enhancer as the superior product and wouldn't use the other amp if I didn't have to. I am just being a bit picky here- I imagine most folks would be happy with a good headset such as my Black Widows with this enhancer and be done with it.

The Ratphones were designed to change your tone of your detector among other things. Sort of what you were looking for. It works well with my X-5 but can only work as a headphone not a tone changer on the GS5.It works with some detectors but not all.

George

Hi Fred,

At this point in time, there are only three GS5's in Australia and those that have them are still on a learning curve, with tests being conducted in different locations and conditions. Settings for the controls will vary from place to place, depending what targets are being tested, and also what coils are being used. So, it is a little early for hard and fast field information to be available.

Eric.

I will be out and about next week with my GS5, so far it has proved to be a very good detector on our hot ground, there has been many instances were minelab detectors can not work the ground but the GS5 has no trouble at all. I will report back my findings in around 6 days time. I will be testing around Dunolly in central Victoria Oz.

Woody, if you get a chance take your Goldscan 5 to the same in-ground test site where you were testing your DNR unit on a GP3000 with different coils. I remember Martin R mentioning that the guys from Coiltek were there doing their testing on some coils also. If you have recorded your results from those in-ground test you could compare them to the GP3 using same coils on your GS5.

Brian