Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Re = Replacing Advantage with X-Terra 50

JBM

Can anyone who has used the Musketeer Advantage please advise me on whether the difference between it and the X-Terra 50 is worth making the change.
I should add that my main detector is The Explorer MKII so it would not be in use all the time.
Thanks in advance.
Jerry.

Having been a BIG fan of the Advantage since its introduction, I will first tell you that I will never sell it. However, I also find that I enjoy some of the attributes of the X-Terra models. It would be difficult to compare them, as many of the reasons I like the X-Terra are not available on the Advantage. True, they are both single frequency detectors. But that is about all they have in common. The ergonomics is entirely different, as well the technology. The Advantage is a 5kHz detector with a variety of OEM and aftermarket DD coils available. The X-Terra 30 and X-Terra 50 both come stock with the 7.5kHz concentric coil. The X-Terra 50 offers the user to switch to a higher frequency coil, and the microprocessor will recognize that frequency and adapt the electronics accordingly. Kind of like allowing us to have 2 machines in one package. By the way, an 18.75kHz concentric 9" coil will be available for the X-50 soon.

I think the best way to determine whether or not you should change to the X-Terra is to tell you what I like about each one specifically.
The Advantage offers adjustable discrimination. This allows me to fine tune the discrimination characteristics for each particular site. But as with any variable discrimination system, everything below the point that I set it, will be rejected. The X-Terra offers adjustable Notch discrimination. Notches allow me to reject targets above and below the levels that I want to find. However, the notches provide a wider margin of discrimination than a variable knob, as found on the Advantage. I have learned the sounds made by the Advantage from hours and hours and hours of use in the field. Even though it is a single tone detector, you can hear subtle (yet distinct) differences in sounds. The X-Terra offers 3 separate audio tones on the X-30 and four tones on the X-50. Each tone represents a specific target range. But the sounds are digitally reproduced and I don't hear those subtle noises or changes that I hear with the Advantage. The X-30 offers a preset fixed ground balance. The X-Terra 50 offers manual ground balance, via 20 preset positions, accessed with a touch pad. The Advantage offers both fixed and manual ground balance via knob control. Both detectors offer adjustable sensitivity. The Advantage is adjusted with the on/off control. The X-Terra offers separate volume adjustments and sensitivity adjustments. Plus, there are separate volume adjustments for headphones or without using headphones. The biggest feature that separates the X-Terra from the Advantage(in my opinion)is the large LCD. It provides the window from which to set the sensitivity, volume, noise channel, ground balance (on the X-50), hunting mode, depth indicator, battery life remaining, target ranges both rejected and accepted, and numeric target ID. Is it a Musky with a meter? No, it isn't. I kind of miss those subtle sounds. Will it hunt as deep as the Advantage? Too early to say. But so far, when I initially find a target with the Advantage, the X-Terras have been able to confirm every one.
Like I said, I will never sell my Advantage. It has more than paid for itself many times over. But I do like many aspects of the X-Terra. I find that the weight and balance is unbeatable. The control panel is much easier to access than the Advantage. Especially if you use the pinpoint feature on your Musky. You can switch to all-metal and back to a discriminate mode (choice of two on X-50 and one on X-30) with a simple push of a button. Add that to the fact that the X-50 will offer a second frequency set of coils, and it just might become another Minelab favorite of mine.

I know I probably haven't given you a definitive answer. But, I think you must answer your own question. Does the X-Terra offer enough added features and/or benefits to justify a change? It does if you want an LCD, audio tones and notch discrimination levels. If you hunt by the sound of your Musky and like the variable discrimination levels and sounds it provides, and if you don't want the information provided by and available with the LCD, then it may not be. HH Randy

Thanks Randy thats a very informative reply.
I will give all your advice serious consideration.
Bearing in mind that the Explorer has been my favourite detector from when they came out it might be a good idea to have a compltely different lightweight detector.
Although I still swing the Explorer well for a guy in his seventies the X-terra 50 will give my arms a rest and give me a screen readout.
Thanks again,Jerry.

Steve, It is tough to make a comparison between an Advantage and the X-Terra. Different coils, different technology. As they are available today, the Advantage would have to get my vote for target separation. Simply because if I go into an area that is trashy, I can use the stock TS800 coil or go to my EXcellerator 5" coil. With the current release of the X-Terra, I only have the 9" stock concentric. With the Advantage, I have gotten use to the subtle sounds and can separate and pinpoint without using the pinpoint mode. With the X-Terra, and the fact that the 9" coil is reading more turf area, I frequently use the "no motion, all-metal" pinpoint mode. Not only locate the target, but to "measure" the size as well. When Minelab introduces the smaller coils fo the X-50, it may tell a different story. But for now, I have to say the Advantage (and the smaller coils) allows me to separate targets more quickly and accurately. HH Randy

For this I feel the X-Terra 50 will do well for you. It is light weight and has the power to get some of the deeper finds. I found mine found a merc and a rosie in one hole and lower was a rusty bolt I missed with the Sovereign GT and the Explorer that was 3-4 inches away from one of my plugs, so I would had to have went over this target and never got a signal I would have dug.
I used to have a Advantage and it seem to love those rusty bottle caps and like the Sovereign it was not balanced right and felt heavy. With the X-Terra 50 it is much lighter and I haven't dug any rusty bottle caps, but have dug a few pieces of a rusty can and some nails, but I am just learning it.
To complement your Explorer I feel the X-Terra 50 would do a excellent job for you, but not to replace your Explorer.

X-Terra 50 at this time. To be quite honest, it might even be the X-Terra 30, and here's why I feel either of these two might be the way to to.

There is no "best" or "perfect" detector out there and it's to anyone's advantage to have at least two detectors that will compliment each other. Therefore, you if you feel you know the Explorer II well enough and are comfortable with its performance, then keep it. It's presently your "main detector" and it might well remain so.

Then, if you know it well enough, consider its weaknesses or those times when you would like to have something else for certain applications. Choose a detector that will handle those needs better than the Explorer II. Pretty simple.

One of the detectors in my personal battery that I totally enjoy using is my Shadow X5. I enjoy using it because it has ample manual control to satisfy me and get the job done, I have a versatile 3-coil selection for it, and it is very lightweight and comfortable for me to use for long periods. For me, it is my "main detector."

But there are many people who would not be comfortable with it because it lacks visual Target ID. I do not need TID, but often there are times when I want good, functional TID.

You might be one of those who wouldn't want to be without some form of visual TID and the X-Terra 30 & X-Terra 50 provide that. In addition to having an easy-to-view display they have easy to adjust controls. The only factor that might influence your decision right now would be the fact that optional coils are not yet available and you might want to know what they will be (size & type).

The X-Terra 50 does provide some extra manual control, a little more refined discrimination selection and an extra Tone ID. The main thing the X-Terra 50 will offer is the ability to opt for a coil for operation at either the 'standard' 7.5 kHz or the higher 18.75 kHz. The main thing the X-Terra 30 offers is "turn-on-and-go" simplicity.

One thing they both provide the end user is a comfortable, lightweight design and very good field performance. I would encourage you to contact a Minelab Dealer to get a hands-on look at these two, side-by-side, and make the decision that way. You might end up using your Explorer II a little less and assign it more specific duties rather than be a general-use unit.

Best of Hunting for that new 'back-up' or 'primary' detector! ;)

Monte

not to duplicate the comments of the others that I mostly agree with, I'd ask just how big of a hurry are you in to get this second detector? The reason I ask is AT THIS POINT I feel the Advantage is a tad faster and less subject to masking than the 50. However, it remains to be seen that if when the DD coil(s) is available for the 50 will this gap be closed or even surpassed? It should, but only time will tell. If you can wait until then, you'll have a more overall informed choice.