Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Re: Repost Of A Fantastic Hammered Coin I dug in NY.

Philo_NY

Hi all

Don't remember if I ever posted my oldest coin here. Dug at Pelham Bay Park, Bronx NY, about 800 feet from the Lagoon where the red brick wall runs all the way down to the Lagoon. On the right in side of the wall was the old Huntington Mansion, who sold and donated most of the land to the City of New York. Funny thing is that, none of the Historical Societies, Museums, or parks department wanted this hammered coin with so rich history. I bet, if it were a Gold Specimen, they would have taken it away from me. Dated the same year the Dutch bought the Island of Manhattan, and for a coin like this one to be dug in the Bronx, proves that commerce with the Indians was wide spread to the other boroughs or area of NY.

I was hunting the outside of the wall I mentioned, and the areas I was hunting were riddled with iron and relics of all kinds. However, I can upon an area of about 20X20 Feet were there was no iron at all. I found this very interesting, so I slowed way down on my swing and ground coverage, and received a solid MineLab Mid tone with a number reading of 38 jumping to a 44, iffy but solid and on the screen, a bit higher than an Indian Cent location on the screen. So, I carefully dug through the first 6 inches of coal ash and mixed black dirt, at 6 to 8 inches, the rich brown soil began to show.

A little pass 8 inches, I dug my Samson spade into the side of the hole, so as to not damage the find, which I had pin pointed, flopped the soil up out of the hole, and I can see the coin as it went up from the hole and land on the mound that I had dug, and as I looked down, I could not believe what I was seeing... I can read from standing that the date read 1626... I was in disbelief. As I knelt down to take a closer look, it as if everything around had change, the wall had disappeared, as I took the coin in my palm. It was like I went back to the that spot before any development had been made. I guess, I went through a kind of Euphoria of time travel, as that coin vibrated in my hand. A total Rapture at the moment of such a great find... The last time I felt like that was when I dug my 1911 - 2 1/2 dollar Gold Indian. Happy Hunting and God Bless.

Philo

PS Up date: A few weeks later, parks department began making improvements to the same area, and I would have never gotten the chance to have dug this historical coin. There are two photos of the coin, one is in a sketch of what the coin looks like, if it were in mint condition, and the one next to that, is a photo I got off Google, which shows one with no environmental damage, and my dug 1626 Dutch HoLandia Duit Hammered Cent in its safety holder...

n/t

What a nice historical find, Bro Philo, & ,being blessed you were able to dig it up before the park improvements could have removed or covered it to never be found! I say God has been with you when discovering your nicest finds! Congrats on everyone & may you be blessed with many more! :thumbup: Sis Ma

I think I would have fainted! Thanks for sharing your story.

That is amazing and leds to the saying you just never know. Congrats

About 20 years ago dug 3 coins circa 97 ad here in Nova Scotia.

You have any thought how your find got where you found it?