Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Reaching out to our English friends

Ronstar

I’m posting here hoping one or more of our English friends may help with this.

Yesterday I dug a 1957 Schilling which appears to be England rather than Australia in origin. The coin was in the no more than the 7” range and most probable at the 5-6” depth. The soil is a dark rich color and as its a city park no to little fertilizers or herbicides are applied. This coin came up and for all practical purposes should be silver in that there was zero discoloration. Google shows the coin is made of a copper nickel mix therefore there should be that dug coin look rather than near pristine.
I can find no indication as to whether there were any minted that were “silver proof”. If anyone “across the pond” has any reference material and could find out if any of that coin mintage was made other than copper nickel I would truly appreciate it. The coin measures and weighs correctly.
Thank You.
Coin is on the right in the pics and one photo of it in the plug (I pulled it out slightly for the photo)

Attachments

• 42F34482-7B30-4230-8BD4-08AB46472968.jpeg
    42F34482-7B30-4230-8BD4-08AB46472968.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 99
  • 778E2AD5-342B-4892-BB84-AF77DBBE0221.jpeg
    778E2AD5-342B-4892-BB84-AF77DBBE0221.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 99
  • 9C044128-7ED2-4BE3-87D8-5171725F13C1.jpeg
    9C044128-7ED2-4BE3-87D8-5171725F13C1.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 102
Nice find!! Looking forward to what you hear about it from "across the Pond"!

Well so far no responses and I cant confirm or deny this thing is silver……

Ron, I researched one I found a few years ago and 1947 is the last year they were silver. As I recall nothing else popped up indicating silver proofs or the like. One of those ??? finds! HH jim tn

Jim, I saw the same info and ‘47 as last silver. I have no idea how this came out looking that shiny unless someone had a way to shove that coin down a small slit within a few days of my finding it. I have not been up to the coin store to have it looked at as of yet. As soon as we unfreeze here I’m going back to that corner and working it out to see if anything shows up.
Thanks for looking it up.