Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ready for a new coil.........

Sonora70

I purchased my 705 with the stock 9", 7.5 coil a couple months ago. I think I'm ready for a better coil. The places I'm hunting tend to be really trashy. Overall, which would be the best upgrade coil for me? I appreciate any advice. (BTW, looking for civil war relics and coins)

I would say the 6inch 18.75 for civil war relics. I have one and it likes lead really good in trashy spots. I would say if mainly coins 6 inch digger coil. I have not use it though but others really like it. I hunt a lot of civil war relics and I have all three 9 inch coils but I use the 18.75 the most for bullets. I use the 6inch in the trash . I also have the 10.5 18.75 that I use in the open for relics. When coin hunting I use the 9 inch 3khz.

How well do you do with the stock coil? Are you finding what you're looking for? If so, then a frequency change might not be needed as much as a size/configuration change, and it's possible that the 6" MF concentric might be a good choice. You'll gain some separation w/o really experiencing much other change.

I'm going to have to start pestering the powers-at-be about a 6" MF DD coil. I know that 305 users would buy 'em, and a lot of others might want to add one to their arsenal too.

what kind of ground balance numbers do you see in your area??? that can make a difference in which type of coil you should buy

I'm finding a few things......just wondering if I could be finding more. I see that most move away from the stock coil and I hear good things about the others. Not exactly sure of what the ground balancing is, I beieve it is in the 40's range.

If you're getting GB numbers in the 40's your ground is fairly mild.

Are you running in a DISC pattern? If so, are you hearing the threshold drop out often indicating the presense of disc'd objects that could be masking good ones?

OK, in real trashy conditions a DD is a benefit. If the trash density is really high, a small dd is recommended, but it is depth limited due to size. If the trash density isn't too bad, then a larger DD will allow for greater depth. But in making the determination, you need to consider that the greater length of the search field will work against you in real heavy trash as it did with the concentric coil. It would have a narrower search pattern than the CC, but it's longer, so angle of attack becomes more important when trying to look between trash objects.

In any case, given what you're hunting for, I would be looking at MF & HF coils.