Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Real or fake?

ukfan99

Found what I think may be a belt plate several years ago at an 1800’s farmohouse in Granville Oh. I usually just hunt for old coins so I don’t know much about Civil Aar era relics. Here are pics of front and back. Metal is very thin so I don’t know if this is real, repro or even a toy. Any ideas? Thanks

https://s20.postimg.org/eenoq5pn1/3168_CE94-3089-4_F7_E-9_DEC-_BD8489_DC72_BA.png

https://s20.postimg.org/5jmufn8kd/3893_C174-48_C2-4747-8884-_E0_C91468_A906.png

Im no expert so take it for what its worth, I've not seen any buckles that thin before but i have seen a fair amount of that pressed copper stuff which i believe was popular in the late 1800s. . I cant read what it says above the eagle.. cool lookin find..hopefully someone can shed some light on this..

I would say awesome find, yes real, pre war for militia parades, not meant for the field because of its poor construction. That or for a child. My opinion, but not an expert

http://www.armyoftennesseerelics.com/wp-content/gallery/Sheet-Iron/DSC05363.JPG

M1851 officers "sheet iron" sword plate maybe?

Thanks for the link Brian. After looking at the link I’m now more inclined to think mine is a repro. Not original. Mine is way thinner then a the one in the link.

I'm no expert but I would say don't give up yet. Age/Years can so some work on metal.

Hi ukfan99, I too many years ago found a similar Plate as yours and always wondered what it's story was! I could not really accept it for being anything other than from a toy uniform/belt for a child, though even then it still could have been CW period. Years later after I dug a genuine Eagle Plate was I convinced even more that the earlier plate could certainly not have been made for any kind of regular duty ! Still , it has a story , and looks to be an unusual and rare one, since there seems to be very little to show or explain the flimsy little plate. I still remember how it blew me away when I dug it, but the ?? sure set in real fast 40+ years ago when I dug it. I was a noobie (we all were back then) but realized right off that what I thought I had was not what it was ! Digging the real one years later sure made up for the disappointment of the first one! HH, Charlie