Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Real or reproductions?

Nirros

[attachment 220476 IMGP1941.JPG]patterns are slightly different[attachment 220476 IMGP1941.JPG]notice one on left is painted and also has like gold guilt.
Hello all I have have these about six months and Know they are Hessian insignia buttons but not sure whether reproductions or not. I havent seen any originals. I do live near an old War of 1812 Battle site . One was dug in the back yard after I tilled for a garden and the other was about 8" deep in my front yard.

I found one also, it was close to a rev war button. I dont know the age of the three legged eagle button i have. Reproduction ?

The rusted back is a dead giveaway that they are modern steel-backed buttons. Brass-backed would indicate a more desirable age.

yep I agree. That was my assumption from the beginning but seems as I am in an area that history would back such a button I thought I would throw it out there. Thanks. Now how do I end this thread or delete it so the Mods job is easier.

I found one of those buttons in a park here in MA. I read somewhere that it is from a sports coat and is modern day maybe from the 70's-today. At first I thought i found a decent button.

Did a little research, and it appears that these are often attributed as "Hessian" buttons. However, further digging and it appears that the original "Hessian" buttons were plain, flat faced and made of tombac or possibly brass. There are many references to modern Hessian reproduction buttons for blazers, and they all use the Teutonic Eagle motif. And your button, being 2-piece with a steel back would most likely be a modern reproduction.

This link has a bit of information on it as well, scroll down till you see the button. http://www.virrob.home.dixie-net.com/whatisit.html

From another site I found.
A large number of German troops were hired by the British to fight against the colonists during the American Revolution. Collectively referred to as "Hessians," these troops wore uniforms adorned with plain buttons that were flat-faced. The rear of the buttons featured a very pronounced boss, to which an iron wire eye was anchored. The buttons were made of a copper and zinc alloy known as tombac, or brass. Hessian buttons became increasingly common as the 18th century progressed.