Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Reales, lead, brass and copper

quicksilver

Got back out to the camp today, got a nice pulled Gardner, an eagle button that the plow ate a little, not sure on the copper woman, not even sure it's period. Usual camp lead, love the round ball, I don't seem to get many of those. Last but not least, my first reale, my first 1700s coin period. What a blessed way to enter that time frame. The area I hunt is colonial also, makes me wonder if the troops would have been carrying a 1784 silver coin, or if it was someone else. It is old even to the civil war generation. Thanks for looking. Good luck.

Nice finds buddy.

Thanks you guys, glad to show ya, love to talk about the items were after for what they represent, not what their worth monetarily. Everytime I dig a relic, I think about who lost it and why, or how, realizing I'm looking around seeing what they were seeing, from a long time ago, the people who made us what we are. That's the addiction. Our small way of being a part of it, long after the fact. Priceless........

I would say that its a good possibility that a CW soldier could have carried and lost that coin; especially considering the other campsite items you found along with it. Silver was silver back then too and carried $ value as it does today. Reales were regularly cut into "bits" and used as "money", traded for goods or used to gamble with around campsites too. It sure could have been from a soldiers belongings. Regardless, its a great 1700s coin find. Congrats.

CCH

Thanks for the info CCH, I've learned a lot on here from you all. Appreciate it.....

Here's one I found several years ago on a CW battlefield in LA. It looks a whole lot better in the picture than in person as it has several scratches, dings and punch marks on the face and reverse that you cannot see from this iphone picture. I also carried it in my pocket for a long time for good luck (still do but in a holder) and that kinda shined it up a bit by chance. Just what I do. CCH

Good finds. That silver sure is sweet.