Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Reality Check - Apples vs Apples

Hi,

It seems all the comparing going on here is pitting the X-Terra 50 against units costing a heck of a lot more money. We all are always looking for new lower cost units to somehow replace these higher end detectors. And there is a trend in that direction, with more power for less price over time. The X-Terra 50 is a good example of that.

But how about we try and bring the discussion into a more realistic set of comparisons? How does the X-Terra 50 compare to other units with an MSRP of $699, give ot take a bit? Machines like the Tesoro Tejon, or White's XL Pro, Garrett GTP 1350, or the new Fisher ID Edge.

I'm as curious as any, because I've never used any of these machines. Like many on this forum, I tend to use top-of-the-line units. But if people look to us here on the forum to provide good information, I think it is more fair to the X-Terra 50 to focus on machines in its price range. Otherwise it comes of as if the X-Terra is not as good as this machine or not as good as that machine, when the machines being compared cost 50% or more to buy.

OF COURSE these more expensive units far well against the X-Terra 50! It was never meant to sell against them. Minelab was certainly not looking to replace the Explorer with the XT50. The fact that it fares as well as it does is a testement to the machine. But rather than draw the attention of users of these units to the X-Terra 50 I think it is more important to consider the needs of those who have about $600 to spend on a detector and what they might get for that price.

For instance the Garrett GTP 1350 has a feature set and price that compares rather directly to the X-Terra 50. Any chance of hearing what people think about the GTP 1350? Because I sure do not know, and I'm curious. The ID Edge is not out yet, but the feature set has been announced. Looks like it will but heads with the X-Terra directly.

How about it, anyone have any apple versus apple comparisons to make?

Steve Herschbach

In answering your question of the GTP 1350, there is a fellow who post of the Garrett forum, John in Edmonton, who digs buckets of coins and is very knowledgable on detecting. I'm sure he could answer your questions.

because I've read posts where the numbers on most small pieces of foil are different from small gold rings which is what I like to hunt for. Not all that interested in relic hunting so the XTerra sounds like the kind of machine that would suit me perfectly, plus been lightweight and having different coils with different frequencies for different applications makes this a "different" kind of machine, looking forward to swinging this machine . HH John

Hi,

Monte made a post on another thresd that does some comparing of various $700 units at the thread below:

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?55,234303,234577#msg-234577

Steve Herschbach