Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Reasonable repair time?

Flbchbm

Had to send my FC in for warranty repair work and am now 4 1/2 weeks out from when it was received by repair center. At what point would y'all say the repair time has become unreasonable? Getting very antsy to do some detecting!

Have you contacted them and ask?

I have. Told they repaired it but whenthey took it out to check it it failed the field test. The tech was supposed to call me back but never did. Calling tomorrow to hopefully talk to a real person and not the answering machine. Been a week since I talked to them. Trying to be patient but starting to wonder when that obligation ends.....

Seems like a long wait.

Got a text from Fedex that a package is to be delivered today. Looks like it is my FC.

Haha was sent before you started the thread. Just didn't know.

Understandable a month is long to wait I would think.
Where did you have to send it for repair and where are you located?

I am in Florida and Kellyco is the repair center. Appears they fixed it but no paperwork sent with it - at all- so I really don't know what they did ....... Will have to run it through its paces on Saturday. Communication is apparently not Kellyco's strong suit.

Might have to call them. And I agree... not their strong suit. Maybe they sent a new unit? Or is it the same one?
I'd probably call and try to figure it out. Pleases and calms the mond.
Good luck and I hope it's all fixed and ready for hunting!!

Flbchbm said:
I am in Florida and Kellyco is the repair center. Appears they fixed it but no paperwork sent with it - at all- so I really don't know what they did ....... Will have to run it through its paces on Saturday. Communication is apparently not Kellyco's strong suit.

If done under warranty paperwork goes to minelab. You can call Kellyco or Minelab and ask what they found...

According to the repair center they are now 3-4 weeks to reach repair bench after received...

They have to wait for parts on the Noktas some times so most likely that is the holdup on the Fors Core...

Figured they were pretty busy. It is not a new unit, it's the original. Took it for a very quick spin in the backyard last night just to see and it seemed to be working fine but tomorrow will be the test. If they are that busy that they can't answer the phone, can't return email and can't give basic communication with a customer that has had a problem with a newer detector (that also happened to be purchased from them), they need to hire some more people. Their customer service is suffering, which will eventually bite them on the *ss. Not my first less-than-impressed experience with them. Unfortunately. They are relatively close by (1 1/2 hour drive), and it would be nice to continue as their customer in the future but there is plenty of competition out there to change that.

Anyway, thanks guys. Didn't really mean to turn this into a b*tch session. I'll let ya know how the testing goes. HH!

Brian

I am in the repair center often since I retired and I am good friends with management (use to work on their phone system) plus Dave who runs it is my hunting partner. They get dozens of calls a day, many times phones ringing bavk to back, all 4 lines busy at same time, if they stop to answer every call they will not get any work done and wait times will be even longer so it goes to vm and are called back.

Your blaming Kellyco, but the repair center is a separate entity, I know when I was there Friday there were about 100 detectors there for repair, some are 15-20 years old. I also know they are looking for another repair tech, but that isn't an easy position to fill, you need someone who not only knows electronics BUT also knows detecting, the relationship between sensitivity and threshold ect. Minelab tried hiring electronic techs who didn't know detecting and it didn't work out, and hiring someone who knows detecting but no experience on electronics doesn't work either. It requires a very specific specialized set of skills.......

It took Dave 1.5 years to train his brother Barry who passed away and Barry was a retired NASA space shuttle electronics tech to be proficient enough that he was comfortable with out Dave's help. Remember there are dozens of models of Minelabs, a half dozen or so Noktas and they also do Aqua Scan and all First Texas products that are out of warranty. It requires a very specific set of skills....

Yeah I'm sure they're busy as heck there. On the plus side you didn't have to send it to turkey for repair, so that's good.
I hope your tests work out and you can forget the hassle, and it always is, of sending in for repair.
I must have gotten lucky with my relic. No issues.... *knocks on wood*

I have no doubt they are busy. I used to work as a biomedical technician repairing dialysis machines, so I can relate a little bit as to how hard it is to hire someone with the needed skill set, and then how long it takes to acquire specific knowlege to each machine you are working on. I imagine it would take a new hire 1-2 years experience to become adequate at repairing equipment. Requires accumulation of experience and that takes time.

Hopefully my experiences with Kellyco have been just my bad luck. They fixed my FC just fine. Works as it should, and with that I am happy. Unfortunate that the turnaround time is over a month. That is a long time to be without a newly purchased, relatively expensive item. I don't think it is out of line to expect to be called back when you leave a message and are told you will be called back. I left two messages and was never called back. When I finally, on the 8th try, got to speak to a real person, I was given minimal information and promised the tech that was working on my equipment would call me right back. Never got a call back. Received the repaired item in a plain box with not so much as a strip of paper that said gee we are sorry for the inconvenience. Sent two emails to the person who told me where to send it for warranty. No response. So......in my book they need to hire someone to handle customer service for the service department. Doesn't have to be a high-dollar electronics tech. Just someone to answer and return calls. Maybe stuff a quick copy of the repair report in the box when it is returned to the customer. Not asking for the sun and moon, just better communication.

Anyway, took the the FC to the park for a couple hours and checked it out in both 2-tone and 3-tone. Everything working fine. Found some clad and other odds and ends but nothing exciting enough to take a picture of. Glad to have her back!

I agree that the turnaround time was a bit much, but the communication is the most important. I sent a detector is to another company (T) and received call's at each stage. Including shipping time to Az from MI total was 1 week and 4 days (11days) and the work to be done was quite extensive as far as having a no longer sold coil completely gutted and rewired, tuned, and having the unit set to that coil and my states ground.
But who knows, hopefully just bad luck. I hope my relic doesn't act up... j/k

But I'm glad to hear it's back and running optimally.

On a side note, does your core have the ability to save your settings or is it like the red racer where it reverts back to factory settings each startup?

Even though I have the relic, I'm considering getting the core anyway and just weighing my options.
On one hand I like the for's design, but if it's almost identical to th red racer I might just grab that for the front screen setup. They seem very very similar as far as function and with the red racer price drop, it would be the cheaper choice.

Thanks for any insight and sorry if I hijacked your thread. :)

There is a way to save your settings on the FC but it isn't automatic. There is a procedure in the owners manual on how to do it. I have never bothered to learn the procedure because it isn't that much of a bother to change the settings. Most of yhe time the default settings work just fine for me. I believe both Monte and Keith Southern have used all the detectors you mentioned and they would be the ones to give you good advice as far as getting a FC. My experience is limited to only the FC. I like mine a lot but I see the need to have another detector on hand so if one goes down I am not out of the hunt. Just ordered a lightly used Whites MXSport today from Richard at Backwoods and am looking forward to testing it out this week. (By the way, so far communication is excellent from Richard and he has already shipped the detector.)

For my relic is says to press and hols the up or down from main screen for at least 4 seconds even after the menu appears then hit the "-" button with the other button still pressed to save the settings.

If you do the same but press "+" then it restores to factory settings in case you mess up and can't get it back to normal.

Same procedure?!? Lol

Double post, sorry

Flbchbm said:
There is a way to save your settings on the FC but it isn't automatic. There is a procedure in the owners manual on how to do it. I have never bothered to learn the procedure because it isn't that much of a bother to change the settings. Most of yhe time the default settings work just fine for me. I believe both Monte and Keith Southern have used all the detectors you mentioned and they would be the ones to give you good advice as far as getting a FC. My experience is limited to only the FC. I like mine a lot but I see the need to have another detector on hand so if one goes down I am not out of the hunt. Just ordered a lightly used Whites MXSport today from Richard at Backwoods and am looking forward to testing it out this week. (By the way, so far communication is excellent from Richard and he has already shipped the detector.)
I've never tried any other detectors but what you see in my sig, but I've seen cool and good things from whites on YouTube. Never seen the mxsport though but the v3I looks nuts with all the processing power it has and the freq's. Haven't pulled the trigger.
Having at least one backup, no matter what kind I'm sure will all agree, i's nice in case something happens. Then you aren't sitting at home mad about timing. Well you might still be but at least you can go hunt.

Wanna take my ace350 (first detector) out for a run today. Haven't touched it since buying my tesoros. Just for fun. Even compared to my compadre it's still not enough for my level, but I thought it would be a walk down memory lane.