Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Received BH Discovery 1100 for Christmas 2016

Skyhawk

I am retired and my wife got me the 1100 model by BH for Christmas. Didn't want to spend too much since I have never done this before. Anyway, I have pretty well dug up my back yard and have started on the front. No great finds yet. I know that the 1100 is an entry level machine and am wondering if anyone remembers using one in the past and could tell me how to tweek it for coins and artifacts. I think I've got the MD bug and will move on to an upper grade model in the future but I'll keep truckin' with this one until I think I have out grown it. Thank you all for any hints and advice.

Dave
Piedmont NC

Hi Dave,
Congratulations on your new metal detector.

I like to set mine in Tone mode with the tone to 'break' on a new penny. That gives a high tone for copper pennies, dimes, quarters, halves, and dollars, then a mixed high/low tone for zinc pennies and aluminum bottle caps, and then a low tone for nickels, larger foil and some tabs. Works good for me.

Good luck,
HH
Mike

Well after looking at the operators manual again, I didn't see a setting for a tone mode. I'm sure it must be an easy setup but not sure what tone mode means. Thanks for any help.

My appoligies. I thought the 1100 was a Tracker IV clone. Its not.
My info will not help you.

Sorry,
Mike

Thanks Mike. I think I figured it out anyway. I just set it to discriminate iron and set the sensitivity high and go at it. One thing I noticed today was that I would get a high tone and then a medium tone while passing over a "target". I would dig a hole, pull the clump out and spread it around and pass the detector over the hole and the spread out dirt and would get no tone at all. This happened twice today. I do need to get a pinpointer though to save time in the dirt. I'm thinking of the White's Bullseye II.
I can't afford a higher end model yet. Any thoughts on the White's or other similar priced model?
Thanks for any advice.

A mystery tone like that is easily explained. Iron disc will block out most iron, but when it's on the edge of the coil, it can be misread as a higher tone, so you hear a signal that is not easy to make it repeat consistently. Once you dug it up, the iron target was either moved away or was more directly under the coil where it was fully discriminated out and you couldn't find it.

Next time you notice this, turn off the iron disc and then you'll hear the target.
-Ed

Thanks Ed. Will give it a try. Metal detecting I am learning is not an "exact science". I'm learning that with each machine I'm reading about has its own little quirks and you have to treat them a little differently. It's really an interesting hobby not to mention finding all sorts of treasures (yet to come). I guess a big part of it is finding a suitable machine and sticking with it and learning the ins and outs of it. I looked at a used Discovery 3300 today. The price was good but the display was a little erratic and held over targets I put on the ground the arrows didn't point to the correct metal type. I do think the 3300 is a nice machine for a newbie like me and does quite a lot for the price.

You'll find most detectors give predictable responses, but the targets are unpredictable in the soil type, depth or how the target is laying in respect to the coil, not to mention how the operator has it set or the way he swings the coil. Once you get onto the typical responses versus what you actually dig up, you'll become familiar with your machine.

Most all the detectors that give a target ID require motion of the coil to work properly. Just holding it over an object without moving the coil might make the machine draw a blank or get confused. Swing the coil so it moves over the target in the center. Now slowly sweep it while putting the object further away from center, thus closer to the coil's edge. Also raise the coil higher while swinging as another test and you'll see when the ID becomes less reliable because the signal the coil picks up is more erratic and farther away from the coil's center.

One trick I've learned is to bob the coil up and down instead of swinging it. Some "iffy" items will then let themselves be known as just iron, trash or if you're lucky, something more worthwhile.

I always take some sample coins and typical junk targets with me to toss down as a test of how things are reading for me and my machine. Set it up to detect the goodies and reject the junk and start swingin'. Good luck as you learn!
-Ed