Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Received my CZ3D my initial observations

OhioMike

My 1021 3D arrived Friday. Upon opening the box first two things I noticed was its in excellent condition and that CZ's are built like a tank. Mine came with both the 8" & 10.5" coils. Don't think I've ever seen more solidly built coils. I really like the gold anodized shafts. I only had a chance to play around with it in my coin garden this weekend. Quick observations it goes deep and it likes a slower sweep speed than I'm used to compared to other units I have. Even though the recovery speed isn't like a Tesoro using the slower sweep speed still separates quite well. Going to send it off tomorrow to Tom to have him work his magic. Have thought about getting a 3D for several years. Now I wish I would have bought one sooner.
HH, Mike

youll love it they are deep and love nickels. doesn't do any good to run sense over 5 or 5.5. ive only had one a few months and found several Indians, buffs and mercury dimes. only problem is they hit hard on deep nails. usually only one direction though. if it pinpoints off to the side of where you get a good signal its probably a nail. the 10.5 coil will wear you out on a long hunt but it likes dimes on edge. usually if it ids a nickel its usually a nickel. good luck I think when winter gets here ill send it to Tom D also.

Too many people are hung up on the "1021" fetish !!! My friend has a 1021 and I recently purchased a brand new CZ3D...................it's not a 1021!!! And in side by side testing my unit is on par with his. Maybe there was a time when the factory went through a learning curve but that is long behind us. So go out and get a CZ3D before they are all gone...........................many dealers no longer sell them. Enjoy and master the unit.......takes time but worth it.

Dave J. said:
If you don't have the "inside dope", it'd be easy to think that Fisher was shipping great stuff from Los Banos and when they went on the auction block, First Texas bought a great company and proceeded to screw everything up. But that is not what happened.

When FTP bought Fisher, Fisher was dying a horrible death. I saw the factory, I saw the books. Same building, mostly the same people, but a completely different company from the one I'd left in 1995. Manufacturing was in total chaos, sales on everything were falling like a rock, profits were a negative million dollars a year, and they were selling some products below manufacturing cost just to make it look like they still had a business. I told the boss that I may still love Fisher, but as a business matter he shouldn't pay a dime for it. Fortunately he didn't listen to me on that one, and here we are nearly 10 years later shipping more "Old Fisher" product than the "Old Fisher" was shipping.

Part of what killed the "Old Fisher", was that under the Roger Cimino regime there was an effort to reduce manufacturing costs by cutting stuff out without first understanding why things were the way they were. In the case of the CZ's, they replaced the original labor-intensive calibration procedure I wrote, with a Cimino procedure to make it real easy to pass one final step provided that you didn't then exercise the machine to do everything it was supposed to do. In short, it was a fake calibration that fooled only the person doing the calibration, not the customer. The result was enormous variation, with no machines actually doing what they should. The situation created an aftermarket calibration business for Dankowski, who'd been sufficiently involved with the CZ3D to know how it worked and how to calibrate it.

When FTP bought what was left of Fisher, they didn't tell us that the correct calibration procedure had been scrapped and replaced with a Cimino procedure. When the operation was moved to El Paso, the procedure that people were taught was the Los Banos procedure. Since machines were passing that test, we were puzzled why so many problems were being reported by customers. Finally I got dragged into it, discovered that the calibration procedure being used was completely wrong, and plowed through the archives looking for a copy of the original procedure. Fortunately it was there. We resurrected it, made a couple minor modifications to it, made sure that all copies of the Cimino procedure were destroyed, and deployed the correct procedure.

Even with the correct procedure in hand, the CZ is a difficult machine to tweak up. If you're inexperienced or in a hurry, the result is a sloppy tweak (although still far superior to a Cimino tweak). Things got a lot better overnight, and with experience and with emphasis on not being in a hurry, fairly soon complaints of lousy tweak just about vanished.

--Dave J.
(This should be pinned at the top of the forum)

Buy a 5 inch coil, you are never taking it off

does not have quite the same depth as the 8", and it will overload on many coins close to the loop.
Never had the 8" overload on a quarter or half.

Not the same depth 1 inch less but it will be the deepest 5 inch coil among the others :)